MRP / Trib. Tom Stewart - Result 4 week match suspension

Remove this Banner Ad

umps panicked, too scared to stop the play coz they knew a malee would start after stewarts weak act, umpires showed no duty of care for prestia and like stewart should be held accountable. with harsh repercussions.
Richmond could of stopped the play by calling for a stretcher. You didnt. Maybe ask the question of why your club didnt do this.

Last edited:
Dangerfield got done for severe contact last year and unfortunately this is worse.
I had originally thought 3 after seeing the gradings but I remembered Danger got 3 for an accidental head clash which was deemed severe.
This is going to go straight to the tribunal and looking at 4.
Accidental head clash because he chose to bump. Let's not muddy the waters here the action got punished as well as the consequence.

Incidental? It was late. Doesn't matter if he was trying to spoil the ball he saw JOM coming if you watch the incident back. Knew he was coming into the contest second so wanted to make him earn it. Nothing incidental about it.
That’s your take, I see it a little differently.
Arrived at the contest at the same time as the ball.
From my perspective, wouldn’t want any AFL footballer to attack the contest any other way.
Was an ordinary suspension then, remains an ordinary suspension now.

I love Tom Stewart, one of my fav players in the league, but this has to be more than 4 weeks. Essentially he has rubbed Prestia out for 2 games and probably more, his hit cost Richmond the game and it was more the stuck out elbow that collected him than a simple bump.

Straight to the tribunal and I think he will be lucky to get under 6.

It was crazy to hear Fox talk about how amazing he was for playing great after the hit. Basically glossed over how bad the actual hit was.

Bucks, Rooey, you are paid to make comments not keep players as friends. When they deserve a bake for their actions, you do it

You asked me why Brad Scott should have no part. I give you a perfectly legitimate reason. Then you start telling me what I must think about an entirely different situation.

For the record I think all people in this process who have any apparent conflict of interest should remove themselves from the process. It is not sound to not do so for all sorts of reasons, including in this case the way Brad Scott is perceived.

His twin brother is current Geelong coach. Any decision Brad makes that can be seen in any way as favouring Geelong in this matter runs the risk of people seeing it as biased decision making in favour of his twin brother. Why would you not want him to remove himself from the process? Surely you would want a fair decision no more no less and no possible perception of bias?
If you need everyone involved in the MRO to have no perceived allegiances then you will be searching forever.

some of us can accept that conflicts big and small are an unfortunate but unavoidable part of AFL life.

it does seem though that the Richmond persecution complex makes this harder to accept for some than others.

Severe would be full speed elbow to the head. It will be graded as high and intentional IMO. 4 weeks. If it was Sicily your looking at 6 weeks but the good bloke discount will happen here. Stewart is normally a fair player. Is remorseful which the tribunal will take into account whether we all agree or not. This is the Bacher Houli situation all over again.
If it’s high and intentional it’s only three weeks. If it’s high and severe it’s straight to tribunal and 4+. It will come down to the definition of severe.

See the last sentence. Well stewart didnt do what those 4 did. Not even close. All 4 of them put players out of the game for half a season or more with broken faces.
Tim English missed four weeks last year with concussion.

Countless players have had to retire with concussion issues.

I don’t think he intentionally did, but I do t think it matters. If it’s less than four weeks they’re just not being serious.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I love Tom Stewart, one of my fav players in the league, but this has to be more than 4 weeks. Essentially he has rubbed Prestia out for 2 games and probably more, his hit cost Richmond the game and it was more the stuck out elbow that collected him than a simple bump.

Straight to the tribunal and I think he will be lucky to get under 6.

It was crazy to hear Fox talk about how amazing he was for playing great after the hit. Basically glossed over how bad the actual hit was.

Bucks, Rooey, you are paid to make comments not keep players as friends. When they deserve a bake for their actions, you do it
Interesting that they ignored the more likely reason he played as well as he normally does after the incident: that he didn't give it a second thought. Instead we get this Tom is a good bloke nonsense. Stand by for remorse at what he has done and how he is shattered and the upcoming great bloke defence. Wouldn't surprise me if the Cats stoop to character witnesses.

4 weeks feels manifestly inadequate.

Stewart accelerated into the contact and his elbow left the side of his body to make contact with Prestia's chin. This isn't a poorly executed bump, it was intentional head high elbow at full tilt with the potential to do more damage than a punch.

The fact that Stewart is showing remorse and it's "out of character" should be completely irrelevant. Stewart deserves 6 and for the Richmond fans to treat him like Milburn 2.0.

Imagine if Toby Greene did this... 10 weeks..?

I don't like it when coaches can get away with discussing incidents in this way to try and mitigate suspensions. Brad Scott used to be the worst at this so it is not going to stop under his watch

“I wouldn’t usually be this expansive, but I think it speaks to the man. He knows he’s done the wrong thing. Was it deliberate? Of course it wasn’t. He’s made an error and, as people do that I admire, he’s prepared to stand up and say ‘I was wrong’.
To me that is an attempt to try and persuade the MRO that it wasn't intentional which shouldn't be happening

Last edited:
Did he really intend to knock out Prestia though? Yes he ran past the ball and made contact with the head, but I think it's unfair for people to say that Stewart deliberately intended to knock out Prestia.

Yes, it didn't look like an accident (the bump itself looks intentional), but I see it as a badly mistimed bump by Stewart than intentionally wanting to take Prestia out of the game by knocking him out. That was just an unfortunate repercussion of his timing. He will miss about 3 weeks though IMO.

I don't like it when coaches can get away with discussing incidents in this way to try and mitigate suspensions. Brad Scott used to the worst at this so it is not going to stop under his watch

To me that is an attempt to try and persuade the MRO that it wasn't intentional which shouldn't be happening
Scott claims that Stewart intended to bump but of course it wasn't deliberate. Work that out.

Dangerfield got done for severe contact last year and unfortunately this is worse.
I had originally thought 3 after seeing the gradings but I remembered Danger got 3 for an accidental head clash which was deemed severe.
This is going to go straight to the tribunal and looking at 4.
Yep I’m thinking 4 as well …. I don’t think it will be anymore than 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Back