• Dylan Grimes

Votes: 18 47.4%

• Total voters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Golden State, New York Jets
Grimes the better 1 on 1 defender, Stewart the better interceptor and rebounder imo. Both would waltz into Melbourne's backline.

Morro

Premium Platinum
AFL Club
Richmond
Yep as mentioned above, 1 v 1, pound for pound I would have Grimes as the best pure defender in the game. He just doesnt offer the same rebound as many others.

juss

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
At defending? Grimes. Stewart probably has a more rounded game, and is better at other things than Grimes.
Both easily make any defense better.

Wallaby

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Richmond
Has anyone mentioned that one is a pure defender and one is more a rebounder?:D

What that means is that Stewart is a chance at an AA, while Grimes has no hope ("just look at the disposal stats!").

HotSausage69

Premium Platinum
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Stewart needs to develop his inside game for mine. Can still easily get lost in traffic and caught ball watching. But he has talent.

Grimes is a workhorse just has a bit of vanilla about him. Reckon he needs to take the game on a bit more and get involved in play.

I take my hat off to them, they are fine footballers.

Herne Hill Hammer

Premium Platinum
AFL Club
Geelong
Dunno why posters seem to think Stewart is a rebounder first. imo, he's pretty comfortably Geelong's best defender for actually defending and for rebounding. Don't be fooled by his numbers and think that he's just one of those dime a dozen running back flankers.

I don't know why it took him so long to find his way onto an AFL list, must have been a lack of commitment or something but he's the best defender Geelong have had since Scarlett.

Black Stripe

Yellow Paint
Suspended
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Oklahoma City and Sydney Thunder
Dunno why posters seem to think Stewart is a rebounder first. imo, he's pretty comfortably Geelong's best defender for actually defending and for rebounding. Don't be fooled by his numbers and think that he's just one of those dime a dozen running back flankers.

I don't know why it took him so long to find his way onto an AFL list, must have been a lack of commitment or something but he's the best defender Geelong have had since Scarlett.
Same question can be asked about Tim Kelly regarding how it took so long for him to get his chance in the AFL.

Geelong just know how to find diamonds in the rough and it's why they remain perennial premiership contenders despite their first pick in the draft being so low every year.

Oraaaaazio

Club Legend
AFL Club
Essendon
Grimes 1 on 1, Stewart rebounding. Pretty simple. Both work well as part of their team defences but take both out and put them in a bad back line, i.e. Gold Coast at the moment, I think Grimes performs better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

juss

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Stewart. If Grimes was as good as suggested, he'd have been playing on Hawkins instead of Rohan on Friday night, especially with Astbury and Rance out.
That's not how coaches make match ups work, I'm sure they thought Grimes with his speed and mobility could do more against Rohan in that regard than he could against Hawkins. Probably more likely to be able to come off and intercept from Rohan than Hawkins. Unless you want Grimes to grow 5cm and 13kg to match Hawkins in a week, he's probably not the right match up for him.

kozi

Hall of Famer
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Dubs, United
If Blicavs and Taylor were missing, he might've.
And if Garth was missing Grimes would have probably taken Hawkins. Whilst still raw, Garth is a far better match up for a KPF.

Neither Stewart nor Grimes are KPD’s, to say Grimes isn’t any good because he didn’t play on Hawkins the other night is just dumb.

Top Bottom