• Dylan Grimes

Votes: 47 58.0%

• Total voters

HotSausage69

Premium Platinum
Aug 25, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Stewart needs to develop his inside game for mine. Can still easily get lost in traffic and caught ball watching. But he has talent.

Grimes is a workhorse just has a bit of vanilla about him. Reckon he needs to take the game on a bit more and get involved in play.

I take my hat off to them, they are fine footballers.

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
Dunno why posters seem to think Stewart is a rebounder first. imo, he's pretty comfortably Geelong's best defender for actually defending and for rebounding. Don't be fooled by his numbers and think that he's just one of those dime a dozen running back flankers.

I don't know why it took him so long to find his way onto an AFL list, must have been a lack of commitment or something but he's the best defender Geelong have had since Scarlett.

Black Stripe

Yellow Paint
Feb 15, 2019
Liverpool
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Oklahoma City and Sydney Thunder
Dunno why posters seem to think Stewart is a rebounder first. imo, he's pretty comfortably Geelong's best defender for actually defending and for rebounding. Don't be fooled by his numbers and think that he's just one of those dime a dozen running back flankers.

I don't know why it took him so long to find his way onto an AFL list, must have been a lack of commitment or something but he's the best defender Geelong have had since Scarlett.

Same question can be asked about Tim Kelly regarding how it took so long for him to get his chance in the AFL.

Geelong just know how to find diamonds in the rough and it's why they remain perennial premiership contenders despite their first pick in the draft being so low every year.

Oraaaaazio

Club Legend
Jun 23, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Grimes 1 on 1, Stewart rebounding. Pretty simple. Both work well as part of their team defences but take both out and put them in a bad back line, i.e. Gold Coast at the moment, I think Grimes performs better.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Stewart. If Grimes was as good as suggested, he'd have been playing on Hawkins instead of Rohan on Friday night, especially with Astbury and Rance out.
That's not how coaches make match ups work, I'm sure they thought Grimes with his speed and mobility could do more against Rohan in that regard than he could against Hawkins. Probably more likely to be able to come off and intercept from Rohan than Hawkins. Unless you want Grimes to grow 5cm and 13kg to match Hawkins in a week, he's probably not the right match up for him.

Oct 14, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
If Blicavs and Taylor were missing, he might've.
And if Garth was missing Grimes would have probably taken Hawkins. Whilst still raw, Garth is a far better match up for a KPF.

Neither Stewart nor Grimes are KPD’s, to say Grimes isn’t any good because he didn’t play on Hawkins the other night is just dumb.

Stitch

All Australian
Jul 30, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond

People aren't suggesting he's a rebounder they're saying he is better than Grimes at it and that Grimes is better at 1v1 than Stewart. Tough poll as they both play a different role. A better comparison would be Stewart vs Rampe and Grimes vs Hamling.

Masqualero

Club Legend
Jul 2, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Great poll, can't split.
Maybe Grimes because I think Carlton would need him more but either way you would be happy.

Back