Toast Tom Stewart - Gun Footballer.

Remove this Banner Ad

I would drop both. Champion data doesnt lie. Both have been fantastic from where they have come from this year and both could have excellent futures at the club. But Parsons looks done for the season. Been our worst clearly in both finals. Stewart is suffering from finals nerves and is fumbling way too much. Will be better next year.

Parsons may have to give way to Cockatoo but, fitness aside, I don't think dropping Stewart is a wise move. It's his first taste of AFL Finals, he's bound to get over-awed and fumble at times. But his efforts are first-rate. He's starting to cement his place in the best 22.

If his hammies are up to it, I'd back him all the way in, to Adelaide and beyond!

Stewart is a deadset gun, would love him in my team.
Goes about his business in a no fuss manner and plays with hard/tough elegance.
Young bloke with a bit to learn but will get there.. has all the traits you would want in a young bloke in the back line.
Hope he gets up for the prelim!
Aramis, my Hawthorn compadre, you surely know about big moments in finals, what did you think of Stewart's chase down late in the second qtr?

Aramis, my Hawthorn compadre, you surely know about big moments in finals, what did you think of Stewart's chase down late in the second qtr?

About the only good thing i've seen all finals series from anyone!!
It was class, had me out of my seat... Sydney were on the ropes and it was a crucial play.
Summed up the game really, your mob just wanted it more.

I would drop both. Champion data doesnt lie. Both have been fantastic from where they have come from this year and both could have excellent futures at the club. But Parsons looks done for the season. Been our worst clearly in both finals. Stewart is suffering from finals nerves and is fumbling way too much. Will be better next year.

We can only be thankful you are nowhere near the selection table. Dropping Stewart is one of the more ridiculous suggestions I have seen this year.

About the only good thing i've seen all finals series from anyone!!
It was class, had me out of my seat... Sydney were on the ropes and it was a crucial play.
Summed up the game really, your mob just wanted it more.

Fair comment, though Motlop's one on two effort deserves mention.

If you go by stats... the Stewart chase and rundown shows 1 tackle.

And thats why CD can be crap.
That 1 tackle was SO much more than that. And if you can't see that, then you are blind.

GO Catters

It doesn't?

Cast your mind back to the 2011 Grand final - Leon Davis had 119 SC points in that game. Compare that to Varcoe (98), Bartel (95) and Hawkins (117). I'd say the Geelong trio had a lot more impact on the game than Davis did.

Parsons may have to give way to Cockatoo but, fitness aside, I don't think dropping Stewart is a wise move. It's his first taste of AFL Finals, he's bound to get over-awed and fumble at times. But his efforts are first-rate. He's starting to cement his place in the best 22.

If his hammies are up to it, I'd back him all the way in, to Adelaide and beyond!
his effort is sensational. no one could question it and would be very stiff to miss. but for team structure its either him or zac guthrie. we need an extra big defender for the crows tall forwards and should not change our forward set up from friday.

If you go by stats... the Stewart chase and rundown shows 1 tackle.

And thats why CD can be crap.
That 1 tackle was SO much more than that. And if you can't see that, then you are blind.

GO Catters
if stewart wasnt struggling with nerves he would of cleanly picked the ball up rather then tap it with no one on him and then kicked it to a geelong player winning us the ball. Thats what touhy, bews and mackie did in those situations. instead the best stewart could do was force a neutral situation of a ball up. swans won the ball from that contest and kicked a goal less then a minute latter. wouldnt of happened if we had the ball. Fantastic effort but the nerves got to him and it cost us.

It doesn't?

Cast your mind back to the 2011 Grand final - Leon Davis had 119 SC points in that game. Compare that to Varcoe (98), Bartel (95) and Hawkins (117). I'd say the Geelong trio had a lot more impact on the game than Davis did.
no it doesnt lie. it just doesnt give a complete picture. it does have perfect memory of a game though. the average football fan however only remembers about 5 mins of play in a 120 minute game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fox footy were showing our press and how it worked cause our players were able to work hard enough to be on the goal side of our opponents.
Every example had Stewart working his guts out to be a good 2 metres in front of a Swans player.
He is really underratedley quick too.
Hope he gets up this week. We'll need him with the way Adelaide love to cheat out the back.

if stewart wasnt struggling with nerves he would of cleanly picked the ball up rather then tap it with no one on him and then kicked it to a geelong player winning us the ball. Thats what touhy, bews and mackie did in those situations. instead the best stewart could do was force a neutral situation of a ball up. swans won the ball from that contest and kicked a goal less then a minute latter. wouldnt of happened if we had the ball. Fantastic effort but the nerves got to him and it cost us.
Ive watched that clip a few times and I'm yet to see how it cost us but to each their own I guess.

If that play cost us, I'd hate to see what some of the efforts from the Tigers game get called

Go Catters

Talk about a glass half empty

The Stewart run-down and tackle will go down as the moment when the football world - not just committed Cats' supporters - officially took notice of his talent
I don't know mate, unless champion data tells me it was fantastic I'm not sure i rate it

ewQgEQU.png

can you leave like you were meant to?

True, he did play well. I guess he isn't getting traded anymore? :p seems to change with the weather!

I'm interested in an outsiders view...personally I have never called for Motlop's departure. He's one of those enigmatic footballers that pop up from time to time, who tease with their ability sometimes, then deliver in spades when you think he's lost the passion.

How do you see him, and if you were the Cat hierarchy, what would you do with Motlop?

I'm interested in an outsiders view...personally I have never called for Motlop's departure. He's one of those enigmatic footballers that pop up from time to time, who tease with their ability sometimes, then deliver in spades when you think he's lost the passion.

How do you see him, and if you were the Cat hierarchy, what would you do with Motlop?

Hard one.... He has to be more consistent than his been... QF was embarrassing, SF was insane... makes no sense.
I think the question that needs to be asked is if he can he consistently produce was he did against Sydney, if the answer is no I think it might be time to move on and get some value out of him. If you believe he can consistently perform like that, you would keep him.

From what I've seen of him I don't believe he can do it consistently enough to justify keeping him on and would seek a trade only at the correct value.

From what I've seen of him I don't believe he can do it consistently enough to justify keeping him on and would seek a trade only at the correct value.

Ahh..the crux of the matter. Lets play a game...(not leading you up the garden path here..ok?) ... lets imagine that Hawthorn were interested in Motlop...where would you rate him in draft order or pay scale....who in the Hawk list would you equate Motlop with...and would you have him in high second round compensation pick?

I think we agree its a fine balancing act for the Cat hierarchy to deal with.....and then of course, there's Menzel, the other hold or release conundrum....(I'm a strong retain Menzel supporter).....

Recognize this is off topic...so its my last post on this subject in this thread....(I'll delete myself if I go on about it here :)

Ahh..the crux of the matter. Lets play a game...(not leading you up the garden path here..ok?) ... lets imagine that Hawthorn were interested in Motlop...where would you rate him in draft order or pay scale....who in the Hawk list would you equate Motlop with...and would you have him in high second round compensation pick?

I think we agree its a fine balancing act for the Cat hierarchy to deal with.....and then of course, there's Menzel, the other hold or release conundrum....(I'm a strong retain Menzel supporter).....

Recognize this is off topic...so its my last post on this subject in this thread....(I'll delete myself if I go on about it here :)

Firstly.. I don't think we need Motlop, but lets say IF we did.
I wouldn't want to be paying anything more than 25-30(anything over 30 is obviously under's and not worth it to you guys) in terms of picks.. Brad Hill went for for 23 (was under's in my honest opinion)
I don't think we truly have a player like Motlop in our team. I might consider Billy Hartung + a pick in a swap as I think Motlop's an upgrade on Hartung... but thats a pretty contrived attempt.
Thats a bloody tough question.

In summary.. if you guys get offered anything between 20-25 you take it... 25-30 line ball and 30+ reject.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back