MRP / Trib. Tom Stewart - Result 4 week match suspension

Remove this Banner Ad

Contrition or not the league need to drop the hammer on this behaviour.

Four weeks is the absolute minimum, six seems more appropriate.

He'll get 3 weeks and one more for media hysterics. (Hello Kane Cornes) Red cards and send-offs are insane and achieve nothing. How he can get a fair hearing now after what was said by the worst football commentator of all time is beyond me? He will plead guilty, we all saw it, he will get a penalty, he knows this, but this was not an Andrew Gaff or Barry Hall king hit. Corne's mad comments this morning should get Stewart a 2-week discount? We've gone 150 years without send offs and this incident was not good, but you cannot crucify the guy before any Tribunal decision is made?
Cornes is a complete dropkick. You will never be able to satisfy footy fans who look at an incident and say, "well how can that be a red card, sin bin or game send off and look at another incident and why is that not." Our game moves too fast for yet another review. You have 36 players running around for two hours banging and crashing into each other, sometimes with a split-second reaction. Sometimes they make mistakes. They do a great job preventing these incidents from happening every game. Stewart will get 3 weeks with another one added due to media hysterics.

Did he really intend to knock out Prestia though? Yes he ran past the ball and made contact with the head, but I think it's unfair for people to say that Stewart deliberately intended to knock out Prestia.

Yes, it didn't look like an accident (the bump itself looks intentional), but I see it as a badly mistimed bump by Stewart than intentionally wanting to take Prestia out of the game by knocking him out. That was just an unfortunate repercussion of his timing. He will miss about 3 weeks though IMO.

He took his eyes off the ball, saw an opportunity to put a prime mover for the opponent on his arse and took it. So, does intentional mean 'intend to hit' or does it mean 'intend to hurt/injure'? I guess we'll see, but if it's the latter, I'm not quite sure how anyone could ever be judged to intentionally cause serious injury to an opponent. The ramifications are far too great.

He'll get 3 weeks and one more for media hysterics. (Hello Kane Cornes) Red cards and send-offs are insane and achieve nothing. How he can get a fair hearing now after what was said by the worst football commentator of all time is beyond me? He will plead guilty, we all saw it, he will get a penalty, he knows this, but this was not an Andrew Gaff or Barry Hall king hit. Corne's mad comments this morning should get Stewart a 2-week discount? We've gone 150 years without send offs and this incident was not good, but you cannot crucify the guy before any Tribunal decision is made?
Cornes is a complete dropkick. You will never be able to satisfy footy fans who look at an incident and say, "well how can that be a red card, sin bin or game send off and look at another incident and why is that not." Our game moves too fast for yet another review. You have 36 players running around for two hours banging and crashing into each other, sometimes with a split-second reaction. Sometimes they make mistakes. They do a great job preventing these incidents from happening every game. Stewart will get 3 weeks with another one added due to media hysterics.
Media hysterics?

Was a campaigner of an act mate, after the play, intentional and aimed to hurt. Worth 4 every day of the week and in any year.

It makes me upset every time I watch it. If AFL are serious about trying to eradicate dirty hits then it will be 5+ weeks

These sorts of hits have potential to cause long term brain issues for the player getting hit
Dirty? He was late and that's all. He got him high, but some of the irrationality over this incident is astounding.

Interesting that they ignored the more likely reason he played as well as he normally does after the incident: that he didn't give it a second thought. Instead we get this Tom is a good bloke nonsense. Stand by for remorse at what he has done and how he is shattered and the upcoming great bloke defence. Wouldn't surprise me if the Cats stoop to character witnesses.
Great for Coach Scott to step up and tell us what a great player Tom was and how he regrets it. It was a shame he didn’t mention the welfare of Prestia either. Tom didn’t go up to Dion at the end of the game to see how he was either. But yeah, let’s all wrap our arms around Tom.

I don’t know what cornes said but Scott went straight to tell us all what a great man he is and didn’t even give a thought to the injured player so it goes both ways.
Plenty of media already running with how good a bloke he is and how out of character.

I love Tom Stewart, one of my fav players in the league, but this has to be more than 4 weeks. Essentially he has rubbed Prestia out for 2 games and probably more, his hit cost Richmond the game and it was more the stuck out elbow that collected him than a simple bump.

Straight to the tribunal and I think he will be lucky to get under 6.

It was crazy to hear Fox talk about how amazing he was for playing great after the hit. Basically glossed over how bad the actual hit was.

Bucks, Rooey, you are paid to make comments not keep players as friends. When they deserve a bake for their actions, you do it

Well they had Riewoldt doing some cringeworthy poem about Trevor Barker before I gave up and switched off, so it wasn't like they didn't have time to seriously dissect the incident.

Of course I'm biased, but as far as I'm concerned, Stewart's ability to put the incident far enough out of his mind to still play a blinder and help the team win an absolute crucial game was definitely worth discussing.

I’ve seen a lot worse velocity and intent wise but he just got him right on the off button

From my understanding that type of knock out is not in the worst type category as far as long term problems is concerned as it’s more of a point of the chin lights out boxing type knock out rather than the head hits the ground scrambled egg type ones where the brain is bouncing around inside the skull

2 or 3 but jeez going by some of the reactions from people before I had seen it I thought it was going to be way worse than that

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Danger did worse to Vlaustin and got nothing. They also won a far bigger game than this one. Have some faith in Richmond
Danger didn't run passed the ball to connect with Vlas.
Stewart did. Regardless of how much of a nice guy Stewart is. that was a dog act.
should be 4 weeks minimum

Leigh Fisher umpires saints games. Are you upset by that?

Is anyone? Does Leigh Fisher have a current close link to anybody at St Kilda? If you wanted a very strict conflict of interest policy you might consider issues like that, but Fisher is an umpire sitting in a hierarchy beneath an umps advisor and the Football Operations boss. Presumably his decisions and actions as an umpire are scrutinised as a matter of course. But for the record I would have no problem whatsoever with an umpire being removed from umpiring any games involving a team he once played for.

Brad Scott has no checks or balances to his decisions here, given he AFL have never appealed against a decision made by a footy operations manager, and to my knowledge never sacked or demoted a footy operations manager for his part in the MRO process.

I think the questions are for those who would be happy with the twin brother of the current GFC coach to make an important decision that directly affects his twin brothers team, in a case that is controversial.

1. Are you certain Brad Scott would be comfortable - given his relationship with the GFC coach - to say recommend to the Tribunal a suspension for the remainder of the 2022 season for example?

2. Would you be comfortable if the AFL’s handling of the case was being overseen by say Damien Hardwick’s twin brother, if such a person existed? Or the twin brother of the coach of a team GFC are slated to play against in say 6 weeks time in a crucial match? Or how would you like Dion Prestia’s mother to be making the AFL’s decisions in this matter?

3. Do you not just think it is better for B Scott to stand aside from any involvement in this case and let another suitable unconflicted person perform that role?

I don’t know what cornes said but Scott went straight to tell us all what a great man he is and didn’t even give a thought to the injured player so it goes both ways.
Plenty of media already running with how good a bloke he is and how out of character.
Cornes was out of control this morning and if that was in private practice in the real world Stewart wouldn't even get charged! People carry on as if this has never happened before, i'm surprised it doesn't happen every game? Players do a great job of avoiding contact as it is. Stewart has simply made a mistake in a split-second judgment that was the wrong judgment. He will get a suspension, but the hysterical ramblings of people like Kane Cornes won't do the game any good at all. Stewart has had an exemplary career so far, no doubt he's remorseful, he will cop the penalty, but it will be wrong to hang him upside down by his ankles! This was not an Andrew Gaff or Barry Hall king hit.

Danger didn't run passed the ball to connect with Vlas.
Stewart did. Regardless of how much of a nice guy Stewart is. that was a dog act.
should be 4 weeks minimum
There is no such thing as a dog act in AFL football. That is a term used by irrational and over-emotional football fans who really have no idea.

No doubt this is sickening to watch, But clearly an over reaction by many. Dog act? Seriously? Chose to bump and got him high so looking at 2 -3. For those asking for 4-6, at what point do you think Stewart commits to the bump? 2m away? How much higher is prestia’s head at that point? He drops a foot and unfortunately Stewart lands flush on his jaw. Poor choice to bump and very unfortunate incident in a contact sport. But your kidding yourself if you think Stewart wanted to take him out and planned that. This is a great example of why some jurisdictions around the world don’t allow slow motion replay in court cases.

Reminded me more of dean Solomon cleaning up Ling. He got 8 weeks for that.

Though Ling really milked it. Went down like he was shot by a sniper and his medical report said he was nearly decapitated. He played two weeks later lol

People need to stop saying he ran passed the ball. He came up to compete with Prestia, who sensed him coming and knocked the ball away from them. Stewart can't suddenly move 5m back and sideways and contest the ball.

He then chose to bump to block Prestia running on. That's what all defenders do in this situation.

He was too forceful but watch any game from your own side and you'll see the same scenario over and over again.

Prestia didn't help himself by continuing to watch the ball and not bracing for any contact and unfortunately being shorter he dropped right in to Stewart's shoulder when I'm sure Stewart was expecting shoulder or body/shoulder contact.

It's an incredible crude and forceful accident that you rightly don't get away with these days but it looked a lot worse than it was.

Stewart looked genuinely upset, maybe that's enough punishment in itself?
455821.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back