MRP / Trib. Tom Stewart - Result 4 week match suspension

Bald

Premium Gold
Apr 5, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
As much as I'd like it to be 5 (we play Geelong in 5 weeks and Stewart loves playing against us) I have to think it'll be 4 at most.

FourthTimeAround

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2022
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
He'll get 3 weeks and one more for media hysterics. (Hello Kane Cornes) Red cards and send-offs are insane and achieve nothing. How he can get a fair hearing now after what was said by the worst football commentator of all time is beyond me? He will plead guilty, we all saw it, he will get a penalty, he knows this, but this was not an Andrew Gaff or Barry Hall king hit. Corne's mad comments this morning should get Stewart a 2-week discount? We've gone 150 years without send offs and this incident was not good, but you cannot crucify the guy before any Tribunal decision is made?
Cornes is a complete dropkick. You will never be able to satisfy footy fans who look at an incident and say, "well how can that be a red card, sin bin or game send off and look at another incident and why is that not." Our game moves too fast for yet another review. You have 36 players running around for two hours banging and crashing into each other, sometimes with a split-second reaction. Sometimes they make mistakes. They do a great job preventing these incidents from happening every game. Stewart will get 3 weeks with another one added due to media hysterics.
The fact that AFL does NOT have a send off rule is one of the more bizarre rules in professional sports.
Yesterday‘s incident just exposes that.

and as for the media, all I’m seeing today is “Toms a great guy” and “he was so upset” and “such mental strength to play out the game in the way he did”.
And I agree to a point, it was a horrible action, doesn’t make him a horrible person.
But the penalty is for the action, not the person.

Nov 24, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Given he opted to bump and the ball wasnt even in play it cant be anything other than international, high and severe impact. Has to be 4 minimum. Should be 5 or 6. Absolute dog act that could easily end a career or worse.

I dont think Stewart is a dirty player but it sure was a dirty act and a shocking snap decision.

Foxx

Premiership Player
Jul 18, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Weeks irrelevant really.

The bigger question is how can we still allow a player to remain on the field, after taking out an opposition player for the rest of the game?

The AFL have brought in a concussion rule, which means players are no longer allowed to continue playing that game or the next.
So in line with that - now the opposition player has to be penalised in the same game.

Why haven't the AFL brought in a red card rule?

perplexed

Premiership Player
Nov 25, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Well they had Riewoldt doing some cringeworthy poem about Trevor Barker before I gave up and switched off, so it wasn't like they didn't have time to seriously dissect the incident.

Of course I'm biased, but as far as I'm concerned, Stewart's ability to put the incident far enough out of his mind to still play a blinder and help the team win an absolute crucial game was definitely worth discussing.
Reminds me of the time I intentionally ran over one of the apprentices with the forklift and then had the courage to put it out of my mind and finish the shift.

He'll get 3 weeks and one more for media hysterics. (Hello Kane Cornes) Red cards and send-offs are insane and achieve nothing. How he can get a fair hearing now after what was said by the worst football commentator of all time is beyond me? He will plead guilty, we all saw it, he will get a penalty, he knows this, but this was not an Andrew Gaff or Barry Hall king hit. Corne's mad comments this morning should get Stewart a 2-week discount? We've gone 150 years without send offs and this incident was not good, but you cannot crucify the guy before any Tribunal decision is made?
Cornes is a complete dropkick. You will never be able to satisfy footy fans who look at an incident and say, "well how can that be a red card, sin bin or game send off and look at another incident and why is that not." Our game moves too fast for yet another review. You have 36 players running around for two hours banging and crashing into each other, sometimes with a split-second reaction. Sometimes they make mistakes. They do a great job preventing these incidents from happening every game. Stewart will get 3 weeks with another one added due to media hysterics.
Nice post
Not one mention of Dion and his welfare however…

People need to stop saying he ran passed the ball. He came up to compete with Prestia, who sensed him coming and knocked the ball away from them. Stewart can't suddenly move 5m back and sideways and contest the ball.

He then chose to bump to block Prestia running on. That's what all defenders do in this situation.

He was too forceful but watch any game from your own side and you'll see the same scenario over and over again.

Prestia didn't help himself by continuing to watch the ball and not bracing for any contact and unfortunately being shorter he dropped right in to Stewart's shoulder when I'm sure Stewart was expecting shoulder or body/shoulder contact.

It's an incredible crude and forceful accident that you rightly don't get away with these days but it looked a lot worse than it was.
Yup - Dion certainly at some fault too - and sucked in Tigers - sfellow…

Madblue

Club Legend
Feb 21, 2008
Canberra
AFL Club
Carlton
No doubt this is sickening to watch, But clearly an over reaction by many. Dog act? Seriously? Chose to bump and got him high so looking at 2 -3. For those asking for 4-6, at what point do you think Stewart commits to the bump? 2m away? How much higher is prestia’s head at that point? He drops a foot and unfortunately Stewart lands flush on his jaw. Poor choice to bump and very unfortunate incident in a contact sport. But your kidding yourself if you think Stewart wanted to take him out and planned that. This is a great example of why some jurisdictions around the world don’t allow slow motion replay in court cases.
Delusional one eyed Cats supporter

tenderwarrior

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2003
Launceston
AFL Club
Geelong
The fact that AFL does NOT have a send off rule is one of the more bizarre rules in professional sports.
Yesterday‘s incident just exposes that.

and as for the media, all I’m seeing today is “Toms a great guy” and “he was so upset” and “such mental strength to play out the game in the way he did”.
And I agree to a point, it was a horrible action, doesn’t make him a horrible person.
But the penalty is for the action, not the person.
Had the AFL a send off rule rule, Stewart would not have had it enforced on him. There wasnt even a free kick or stop in play..

HTPunter

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I reckon Richmond started this whole good bloke at the tribunal stuff anyway. Remember ******* Waleed Aly coming in to defend Houli for punching a guy by saying he does good stuff? Who gives a *, it's football, you break the rules you suffer the punishment regardless if your surname is Gandhi.

HTPunter

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Had the AFL a send off rule rule, Stewart would not have had it enforced on him. There wasnt even a free kick or stop in play..

There was a free kick? What are you on about? And the fact there wasn't a stop in play is actually part of the discussion, play should have been stopped as the ball went over a clearly concussed players head.

Further, in this send off rule type thing, I imagine these incidents would be reviewed and dog shotting someone in the head would have seen Stewart sent off in review. I doubt umpires would be given the right to straight up send players off without review.

HTPunter

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne

******* hell. Sure I agree we don't need red cards, but it's not media hysterics when Prestia has had his brain rattled in a year we're all talking about brain injuries. Stewart 100% deserves more than 3 - you get 2 for intentional, head, medium impact.

Can only imagine your "hysteria" if this was Guthrie who had his head smashed by Vlastuin or Grimes...

Has No Rules

Team Captain
Mar 22, 2022
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
West Coast
Dog act

no surprise the VFL media already making apologies for Stewart

Should be 6 weeks, but the 'apology narrative' and the usual Vic discount will see it reduced to 3

no bias though

tenderwarrior

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2003
Launceston
AFL Club
Geelong
There was a free kick? What are you on about? And the fact there wasn't a stop in play is actually part of the discussion, play should have been stopped as the ball went over a clearly concussed players head.

Further, in this send off rule type thing, I imagine these incidents would be reviewed and dog shotting someone in the head would have seen Stewart sent off in review. I doubt umpires would be given the right to straight up send players off without review.
Was there? That is even worse of the umpires then as they were aware of the incident.

The umpires have dropped the ball twice in two weeks with this. First with Will Powell last week and now with Prestia. There was another one recently as well where the play should have been stopped.

Thankfully it has not caused any further issues to a players health, but the other issue is a team being a man down..

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
Contrition or not the league need to drop the hammer on this behaviour.

Four weeks is the absolute minimum, six seems more appropriate.

Long time ago but from memory, Dean Solomon copped 8 weeks for his flying elbow in the Cameron Lings face that broke his cheek.

Back