MRP / Trib. Tom Stewart - Result 4 week match suspension

Remove this Banner Ad

Or, people have adjusted what they think is actually acceptable on a football field, and it’s one of the worst ones in that framework, rather than comparing to hits decades ago.
Yeah that's kinda my point. The AFL still gets a lot of criticism about how they handle head trauma but comparing the reaction to this bump compared to how it would have been received in the past shows that they've actually made a lot of progress.

Forget the predicted result, there is a more important issue that seems to be getting ignored and overlooked in the media and in this case, given the AFL website initially reported an intentional grading then shortly after altered that to careless, you would have to suspect Christian’s view was that it was intentional, and the AFL site reported that before it was checked by Scott for some reason, and that Scott has quickly intervened to have it downgraded to careless. And ordered overdrive on the good bloke, out of character narrative for T Stewart in the media.

100% spot on. Its a little known fact that Brad Scott proof's all AFL content for social and the website. You should see Damo's Sliding Doors before Brad makes his edits.

FYI, Tom Stewart got his phone number from Riewoldt and called Prestia on Sunday.

You hear what you want to hear....very, very poor effort dean33

As an ASIDE, does this sound familiar, “he is one of those guys, I don't think I need to say what his record is. Whatever the incident is, we'll move on."

Damian Hardwick talking about Bachar Houli before the Tribunal hearing Into the Jed Lamb incident
Has anyone from Geelong publicly mentioned Prestia and his well being at all?
I think you’ll find both Dimma and bachar spoke at length about hoping lamb was ok.

The campaigning about him being a good bloke is nauseous.

There is article on afl.com.au talking about how remorseful Stewart is. It contains quotes from Stewart saying this, along with a quote from Scott backing him up... Not one of them mentions the well being of Prestia, who got *en laid out. In fact, it isn't brought up in the entire article.

Scott calling him a fantastic bloke is so bloody tone deaf, but not suprising from Scotty. I've always liked Stewart and he does seem like a nbice guy, but god damn, read the room

Im glad Im not a Tigers supporter, the narrative surrounding this incident would be making my blood boil.
I can confirm the fact no one from Geelong has mentioned the well being of Prestia has not been lost on them. Really hope we play them in September again.

Has anyone from Geelong publicly mentioned Prestia and his well being at all?
I think you’ll find both Dimma and bachar spoke at length about hoping lamb was ok.
Get off your frickin pedestal! Why does a public statement have to be made? What would it achieve? Tom has spoken to Dion and apologised privately. But that's not good enough for the holier than thou Richmond poster who demands a full page apology.

And show me where Hardwick "spoke at length about hoping lamb was ok". All I could find was a comment by Hardwick reminding us what a clean skin Bachar was

Last edited:
I can confirm the fact no one from Geelong has mentioned the well being of Prestia has not been lost on them. Really hope we play them in September again.
LOL. You can confirm? How? Have you spoke to club officials? Did you hear the conversation between Prestia and Stewart, or between Selwood and Riewoldt (in getting Prestia's mobile number)? Do you know what was said privately? You are blowing this way out of proportion. Prestia was "up and about" by the end of the game according to Hardwick; its not like he was rushed off to hospital with a broken jaw.

Get off your frickin pedestal! Why does a public statement have to be made? What would it achieve? Tom has spoken to Dion and apologised privately. But that's not good enough for the holier than thou Richmond poster who demands a full page apology.
Just tells you a bit about your club. The main concern of your coach was trying to paint Stewart as a “good bloke” rather than mention the player he knocked into next week.
Very poor.

FYI, Tom Stewart got his phone number from Riewoldt and called Prestia on Sunday.

As an ASIDE, does this sound familiar, “he is one of those guys, I don't think I need to say what his record is. Whatever the incident is, we'll move on."

Damian Hardwick talking about Bachar Houli before the Tribunal hearing Into the Jed Lamb incident
What’s your point re: Houli? Dimma made no mention of Houli’s record being good or bad, just that he’d let it speak for itself. And then he’d say we’d move on, which happens regardless. Which is way different to Scott and Geelong telling us about what a great guy Tom is and how it was an unfortunate accident.

Just tells you a bit about your club. The main concern of your coach was trying to paint Stewart as a “good bloke” rather than mention the player he knocked into next week.
Very poor.
Exactly the same as Hardwick with Bachar Houli. His ONLY comments were to remind the reader that Bachar was a clean skin. Both very poor?

LOL. You can confirm? How? Have you spoke to club officials? Did you hear the conversation between Prestia and Stewart, or between Selwood and Riewoldt (in getting Prestia's mobile number)? Do you know what was said privately? You are blowing this way out of proportion. Prestia was "up and about" by the end of the game according to Hardwick; its not like he be was rushed off to hospital with a broken jaw.
Re: bolded… it’s all good. Dion’s up and about, no broken bones, nothing to see here, time to move, full recovery assured.

How dim are you to have missed the entire conversation around CTE?

What’s your point re: Houli? Dimma made no mention of Houli’s record being good or bad, just that he’d let it speak for itself. And then he’d say we’d move on, which happens regardless. Which is way different to Scott and Geelong telling us about what a great guy Tom is and how it was an unfortunate accident.
What's my point? Double standards. That's my point. Nothing more. Scott is criticised for speaking favourably of Tom Stewart's character etc. Yet Hardwick did same before the Tribunal hearing of Houli. You say Dimma made no mention of Houli's record? What did he mean by, "I don't think I need to say what his record is"?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What's my point? Double standards. That's my point. Nothing more. Scott is criticised for speaking favourably of Tom Stewart's character etc. Yet Hardwick did same before the Tribunal hearing of Houli. You say Dimma made no mention of Houli's record? What did he mean by, "I don't think I need to say what his record is"?
You’re missing the all important “we know what his record is”. Dimma was saying he can’t add to it, it’s common knowledge, I’d just be telling you stuff you already know.

Exactly the same as Hardwick with Bachar Houli. His ONLY comments were to remind the reader that Bachar was a clean skin. Both very poor?
Good God no! - Mother Theresa was a slag taking tricks compared to the shining light of righteousness that emanates from Dimma's arse. Everything else is just scum and disease, just leave the poor richmond supporters to flagellate themselves to repel the sin that other less holy teams cast. You'll be doing society a favour.

In NHL, which is comparable to AFL in terms of checks/bumps - the worst checks generally get 15-20 game suspensions. Keep in mind, they wear helmets and padding in the NHL too.

20 games is about a quarter of the season, so at the very least I'd suggest this is should be a quarter of a season suspension in the AFL if we want to be serious about concussion. Get on the front foot, give him 5 weeks.

Knowing the AFL though, he'll probably get 4 because he's a good guy at footy.

Not an attack on Tom Stewart by the way, really like the way he goes about it generally and believe he meant to smash Prestia, just not with a head high hit. However, he needs to be penalised in line with the action and outcome.

Houli blindly threw an arm back and unfortunately hit Lamb clean on the chin. He ended up copping his four weeks for that

Stewart watched Prestia tap the ball away then lined him up and hit him in the head

Two acts aren’t comparable in terms of intent and as such the fact that (IMO) they will end up having to serve an equal penalty is an inditement on the whole MRO system
Yes, he swung his arm back at head height and, lo and behold, he whacked Lamb in the head.

Amazing.

Yes, he swung his arm back at head height and, lo and behold, he whacked Lamb in the head.

Amazing.
Completely different incidents. Lamb was hanging onto bachar as they were both running, houli flicked his arm back to get him off and unfortunately hit him in the wrong spot. Houli was frustrated with the attention lamb was giving him and copped 4 weeks for it.
How could you compare to running past the ball and lining someone up with a bump to the head?
Should be 5-6 min.

And show me where Hardwick "spoke at length about hoping lamb was ok". All I could find was a comment by Hardwick reminding us what a clean skin Bachar was
How hard did you look?

“We're glad Jed's OK — he's making a good recovery by all accounts — and Bachar accepted responsibility, so as a club we just move on pretty quickly."

Hardwick's Carlton counterpart, Brendan Bolton, hailed Houli's concern for Lamb, which he showed after the game and multiple times throughout the week, and also applauded the league for its commitment to protecting the head of the players.

Can you provide a link to the article you took that Hardwick quote from.

How hard did you look?

“We're glad Jed's OK — he's making a good recovery by all accounts — and Bachar accepted responsibility, so as a club we just move on pretty quickly."

Hardwick's Carlton counterpart, Brendan Bolton, hailed Houli's concern for Lamb, which he showed after the game and multiple times throughout the week, and also applauded the league for its commitment to protecting the head of the players.
Those comments were made AFTER the Tribunal hearing. Stewart's hearing hasn't even been heard yet. How hard are you trying?

As for Houli showing concern for Lamb after the game, are you suggesting Stewart did not and has not done the same?

Re: bolded… what was Houli's intent? The ball was gone so the intent could not have been to impact that play. With the ball gone he made no effort to not wildly throw an elbow back at head height. That indicates Houli wanted to do “something” to Lamb, and if Houli got it wrong then that is still on him.
Houli and Stewart were/are both generally fair players. Both made poor choices and both paid/will pay for their actions.
Stewart's was at least a football act (a bump), which I'm sure he didn't intend to go high. There is a second between Prestia tapping the ball and Stewart bumping him. Despite the ultra slow-mo replays, the ball was in play.
With the Houli incident, the ball was never in Houli or Lamb's hands in that passage of play, and play was moving away from them. Houli throws a backarm to the head area and at the point of impact, is actually looking at Lamb. The idea (poor memory) by some that he just blindly threw an arm back is a bit revisionist. Houli's wasn't in play or a football act.

It's understandable that supporters will go into bat for their own players, but I know which one's worse.

You really didn't look very hard did you? First result in google: From 7news.com.au

“There’s nothing I can say now to justify the actions that I showed on the day, but my immediate response was just to make sure Dion was okay.

I reached out to him immediately after the game – Jack Riewoldt gave me his number – and he was in good spirits. He understood that there was no malicious intent.

“It was a poor decision by me.” - Tom Stewart

Remove this Banner Ad

Back