List Mgmt. Tom Wilson Signs with Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Great news. Pretty much a ready made player. Listening to Kevin Sheehan on SEN a few weeks ago about Tommy Wilson, he was glowing in his appraisal of his footy ability, basically suggesting that Tom was elite in his junior years, which makes this signing hugely exciting.

Pretty exciting.

If he's a Boomers level point guard, you know he's going to have elite peripheral vision, spatial awareness and a quick first couple of steps.
And I have dibs this will happen:

His first touch when he plays seniors a commentator will straight away refer to the play happening

• because of his basketball background.

Last edited:
Well done Tom.
Welcome.

(FYI you are the new great White hope :eek: no pressure there)

Last edited:

Article from April but still interesting, seems like he has a mature outlook on life.
https://www.foxsports.com.au/basket...m/news-story/7f40d78abb6fd9f81114e0956123a272

Tom Wilson has decided to join the ever-growing list of basketball players to make the jump to the AFL.

“I came to the realisation that, I’m probably not gonna get to the levels I wanna get to, and I have another amazing opportunity in front of me; something I’ve always wanted to do, as well,” Wilson told foxsports.com.au on Monday night. “If I went on with basketball, I’d probably only be doing it to please other people; I wouldn’t really be doing it for the right reasons.

“I’ve made the decision knowing I won’t go back to basketball, just because it’s not gonna happen. I don’t think it’s a reality. I’m 100 per cent set on, this is my career now. I’m a football player.”

Wilson has been speaking with AFL teams for some time, and would enter the league as a versatile swingman who could potentially move into the midfield.
“It’s probably something a lot of people don’t have to deal with, but it was almost a bit of a burden having a choice, because I do love both,” Wilson said.

“Realising the things I wanted to do in basketball weren’t gonna happen; closing the door on my dreams when I knew I was still chasing them, they were still a possibility. I knew that making a call now, I’m really closing the door on it all. That was hard to come to terms with, knowing how much work I’d put into it.

“I’m walking away knowing I’m proud of everything I went through, overseas. Everything I went through as a person made me a lot better, and I’m really proud that I know I put everything I could into it. At the end of the day, it didn’t really fall my way.

“If you look at it realistically, I’m not Ben Simmons. I wasn’t anyone like that. If I was gonna make it to the pinnacle, I was gonna need a lot of luck along the way, and unfortunately it didn’t fall my way.”

“It’s always been a dream of mine to run out in the MCG and play in the AFL,” Wilson said.

“It’s pretty surreal right now. Being in that position where it’s right in front of me, and I have a lot of hard work to do to get to that level; but as I said, it’s been a dream of mine, so to be so close to it right now, it’s pretty amazing.

“I don’t know how it’s gonna go, or what’s gonna happen. Once I decide on a club and where I wanna be, it’s gonna be all guns blazing.”

Got a fair few developing players on our list. It won't be a surprise if our VFL side struggles for a year or two having to "carry" these types. That said, he does look like a good prospect and I'd actually back him to play games, unlike some other converts.
Agreed having been an elite rated junior footballer, basketball will only have improved his awareness and close quarters disposal.

And I have dibs this will happen:

His first touch when he plays seniors a commentator will straight away refer to the play happening

because of his basketball background.

I've heard Pendles used to play basketball, Steele kicked 10 goals in a junior Grand Final and Cox is American - I've also heard that it's really hard to stop him when he jumps and has his arms stretched high above his head.

I believe he can't train until the end of the year, so I'd say next season.
My understanding is that a Category B rookie can be included on a Club's list at any time outside of 1 July and 31 October provided the AFL consents and there is a rookie spot available. So presuming he goes on as a Cat B rookie, I can't see why he couldn't train/play immediately?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Strange kicking action, reminds me a bit of Darcy with the wing spread. Drops the ball pretty high too.

Good news though, these sort of recruitments can be what seperates a competition designed to always be 'equal'

Intruder here but just wanted to congratulate you guys, that's about as great of a category b rookie signing as you can get.

Unlike most catB's he'll come to you guys with the fundamentals and no surprises with the calibre of teams chasing him Hawthorn, Geelong and you guys that he was high in demand.

I've heard Pendles used to play basketball, Steele kicked 10 goals in a junior Grand Final and Cox is American - I've also heard that it's really hard to stop him when he jumps and has his arms stretched high above his head.
I’ve heard there is a hi jinx on bigfooty

But I don’t trust idle gossip (even if it’s true :eek: )

I’d love a little competition of afl clubs having a fun basketball tournament (out of season).

This wed win.

Cox
Grundy
Madgen
Pendlebury (apparently he played basketball)
Wilson

that’s some starting 5

I’d love a little competition of afl clubs having a fun basketball tournament (out of season).

This wed win.

Cox
Grundy
Madgen
Pendlebury (apparently he played basketball)
Wilson

that’s some starting 5
Have you got a source for Pendles having played basketball?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back