List Mgmt. Tom Wilson Signs with Collingwood

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Stay on topic Saintly, any mention of all time greats fittingly belongs in the Callum Brown thread.
My bad.

Must have had elbow ablett on my mind

3rdMan

Club Legend
Sep 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
He is currently 194. I've seen on multiple sites.
Seems correct. Hine spoke about him in an interview, paraphrasing:

"194cm, good aerial ability, kicks off both feet and projected to play a Gunston type role. May sneak a VFL game later in the year, but developing him for the longer term with the immediate focus on conditioning - little concern about his skill level".

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
is he actually on our list yet? hasnt been added to supercoach nor does our website have him as a listed player
He is.

Our website is still using player pics from 2018.

And some player details aren’t even updated.

Not really the most professional upkeep.

is he actually on our list yet? hasnt been added to supercoach nor does our website have him as a listed player
Yes he’s on our list, but unlikely to play this year by the sounds of it.

Play AFL you mean?

Would be good to see him in the VFL soon.
I’m not even sure they’ll play him in the VFL. It sounded like they’re going to spend a lot of time working on his fitness/endurance. I’d be happy for them to give him a mini preseason and then play him in the VFL for the rest of the year though.

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Maybe Ed needs to peruse our sight more often, reckon he might put a rocket up someone.
It really should be monitored a bit better.

Pics are taken towards the end of pre-season.
It’s not hard to update say within a week or so.

It’s just a simple look to get right.

Soups

Premium Platinum
Jul 16, 2006
AFL Club
Collingwood
I’m not even sure they’ll play him in the VFL. It sounded like they’re going to spend a lot of time working on his fitness/endurance. I’d be happy for them to give him a mini preseason and then play him in the VFL for the rest of the year though.
I think I heard in an interview they were going to give him a block of 4-5 weeks and see how he goes. I could be wrong though. I don’t see what the harm in giving him a run in the VFL. Gain some fitness chasing the pill around.

I think I heard in an interview they were going to give him a block of 4-5 weeks and see how he goes. I could be wrong though. I don’t see what the harm in giving him a run in the VFL. Gain some fitness chasing the pill around.
Yeah, I would have thought the best way to gain the required fitness would be playing actual games, but what would I know...

ottoman

Norm Smith Medallist
May 13, 2014
Istanbul
AFL Club
Collingwood
And I think I heard in an interview that they were not looking at playing him at all this year.
Hope your memory is correct and I am wrong.

May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory

Hine said that Wilson is working closely with Kevin White and the conditioning team to get his fitness and conditioning up to scratch. I think there will be differences from Basketball to AFL (the loads), and the style of footy we play, that they need to make sure he has that platform before he plays. I imagine injury risk goes up a bit without that base fitness and conditioning. I actually think it demonstrates an improved approach to managing our players by our fitness guys. That said i'm pretty keen to see him in action too!

Last edited:
In the road to the draft podcast Hine spoke about him sneaking a couple of VFL games in before the seasons out.

If Tom does play a few games later in the season, he might attract a decent crowd. Hope any such games are at Vic Park.

In the road to the draft podcast Hine spoke about him sneaking a couple of VFL games in before the seasons out.
I think it makes perfect sense to get 8 to 10 weeks training into him before we throw him out there. That would be better for his confidence and lowers his risk of injury.

No need to rush him. Get a Mimi preseason into him before he plays. Then give him a couple of games near the end of the season.
Next year by half way hopefully we could see how good he mite be

I think it makes perfect sense to get 8 to 10 weeks training into him before we throw him out there. That would be better for his confidence and lowers his risk of injury.
If what I’m reading in this thread is true, and I’m pretty sure it isn’t; confidence is no barrier.

Back