MVP Tommy Boyd - The Grand Final Enigma

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you honestly think his marking will miraculously improve?

Personally I've never seen such a highly touted fwd drop so many marks on the lead. Never. And it's not a strength or maturity thing - often he's been in space.

I don't recall one single star successful forward who couldn't mark on the lead. Not one.

Additionally, medical or not, Boyd has intensity issues. He brings intensity,he brings game. So far he has only really brought intensity to one home and away game against Geelong and a few finals.

If he can bring intensity, I feel Boyd could be a decent ruck and long option fwd. That's about it.*

(*Plus his wonderful GF - for me any good game he plays after that is gravy)

22. No, it's not two little ducks, it's Tommy's age (and he's just turned 22).

I would say Chris Grant's prime was 96-99 (age 24-27), so patience...please.

22. No, it's not two little ducks, it's Tommy's age (and he's just turned 22).

I would say Chris Grant's prime was 96-99 (age 24-27), so patience...please.

Even Jarrad Grant could mark on the lead before he was 22. Heck even Redpath can mark on the lead. Most young players can actually mark on the lead before they are 22. Just IMO.

Dude drops a couple on the lead and now "he can't mark on the lead", you know except for all the marks he has taken on the lead.

He obviously needs to improve his concentration during games but I think people need to chill and wait to see him after a full preseason.

Even Jarrad Grant could mark on the lead before he was 22. Heck even Redpath can mark on the lead. Most young players can actually mark on the lead before they are 22. Just IMO.

Yeah, that's fine, but Jarrad Grant didn't play a major part in winning us a flag. Tommy has plenty of credits left in the bank.

Patience.

Yeah, that's fine, but Jarrad Grant didn't play a major part in winning us a flag. Tommy has plenty of credits left in the bank.

Patience.

I'm fine with Tom and even if he never plays again that wouldn't change.

Just don't see how he approaches superstar fwd level if he can't mark on the lead. Maybe he suddenly and miraculously does it. Not holding my breath.

Dude drops a couple on the lead and now "he can't mark on the lead", you know except for all the marks he has taken on the lead.

He obviously needs to improve his concentration during games but I think people need to chill and wait to see him after a full preseason.
And even then it's not as if "being able to mark on the lead" is the be-all and end all. Would you shrink Tommy by 10cm if it meant he could mark on the lead? No? Exactly.

And even then it's not as if "being able to mark on the lead" is the be-all and end all. Would you shrink Tommy by 10cm if it meant he could mark on the lead? No? Exactly.

Meh point out a gun fwd who can't mark on the lead.

Being tall and marking on the lead aren't mutually exclusive anyway so I don't see your point.

It's pretty important for a forward though. And it's something that he needs to improve to completely fulfill his potential. But I'm not so sure the space between him being able to do it regularly and not is that big anyway.

Do you honestly think his marking will miraculously improve?

Personally I've never seen such a highly touted fwd drop so many marks on the lead. Never. And it's not a strength or maturity thing - often he's been in space.

I don't recall one single star successful forward who couldn't mark on the lead. Not one.

Additionally, medical or not, Boyd has intensity issues. He brings intensity,he brings game. So far he has only really brought intensity to one home and away game against Geelong and a few finals.

If he can bring intensity, I feel Boyd could be a decent ruck and long option fwd. That's about it.*

(*Plus his wonderful GF - for me any good game he plays after that is gravy)

I do think he'll improve his marking - he's 22.

Don't forget you watch him closer than any opposition forward and you'll be more critical of him than any other forward, simply because you'll notice his errors more. Equally you'll notice his best more, too.

I've watched GWS a lot this year because of Tommo and Lobb has been appalling this year. But he'll have his supporters because of how he entered the comp. but he has been amazingly pathetic.

Don't forget you watch him closer than any opposition forward and you'll be more critical of him than any other forward, simply because you'll notice his errors more. Equally you'll notice his best more, too.

I've watched GWS a lot this year because of Tommo and Lobb has been appalling this year. But he'll have his supporters because of how he entered the comp. but he has been amazingly pathetic.
Noticed that Lobb has gone to s**t this year too. But I'm sure there'll be plenty here that'd swear on their mother's life that he's so far ahead of Boyd it's not funny.

Well we wait.:)

Noticed that Lobb has gone to s**t this year too. But I'm sure there'll be plenty here that'd swear on their mother's life that he's so far ahead of Boyd it's not funny.

I got crucified on the main board last year for suggesting that Lobb isn't worth a top 5 pick in terms of trade value.

Lobbs not really dominant in any facet.

A goal a game/11 disposals and less than 10 hitouts per game screams mediocre.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And everyone raves about Patton but remember the easy chest mark he fluffed in the last quarter of the Prelim, I don't forget cause I have seen it like on zillion times.

I think I've mentioned this previously, so apologies for repeating myself, but if you watch a few random opposition games and specifically pay attention to how many regulation marks are dropped by players you'll be shocked.

Tom doesn't stick all the ones he should. But he'll get better at it. Both of these marks are bloody good, and the second is on the lead:

Definitely needs to improve in this area, but it would also be nice to see him get significant time with the ball being kicked at him in one on ones or two on twos, rather than floating around in the ruck sitting under high balls trying to mark in packs of 5-6 players. Tom's also pretty good on the lead when the ball is actually kicked to him; see for example his recent games against Geelong. Unfortunately, our midfielders other than Bont will almost to a man always put the ball to the advantage of the opposing player in our F50. But that's another discussion.

He doesn't take pack marks because he's still pushed around in the air and loses balance. It's not an excuse but he'll get better at it.

He doesn't get looked for much as a forward by the team but I'd like to think that if they looked for him more, his confidence would grow and his output would increase.

I got crucified on the main board last year for suggesting that Lobb isn't worth a top 5 pick in terms of trade value.

Lobbs not really dominant in any facet.

A goal a game/11 disposals and less than 10 hitouts per game screams mediocre.
I think it's a mixture of things. Firstly people don't watch gws much. Secondly when they do Lobb will take a couple contested marks and look a million bucks randomly in a quarter while doing * all for the rest of the game. Thirdly, because he was relatively unknown and not a high draft pick people expect less as compared to someone like Boyd so when he takes a couple of big marks playing third string forward people are surprised and see it as a sign of things to come while when Tom does it he should being such a high draft pick on a huge contract. At the end of the day Lobb has potential but isn't there yet and is significantly older than Tom but gets none of the scrutiny.

I'll preface this by saying it's probably going to be one of the most ridiculous posts in this thread, but:

I wonder if Tom Boyd might be low test? Inability to grow a full beard, anatomically he seems to have pretty wide hips, and psychological symptoms like depression can all be symptoms of low testosterone. Also the lack of aggression he typically displays on field. Sadly, I'm pretty sure testosterone supplementation is illegal in any professional sport but I wonder if it might be a factor for him. This is a bit of silly speculation but I would like to know what his test levels are. Doesn't mean he won't make it though. Serena Williams is the greatest tennis player in history and she can't grow a full beard either.

I'll preface this by saying it's probably going to be one of the most ridiculous posts in this thread, but:

I wonder if Tom Boyd might be low test? Inability to grow a full beard, anatomically he seems to have pretty wide hips, and psychological symptoms like depression can all be symptoms of low testosterone. Also the lack of aggression he typically displays on field. Sadly, I'm pretty sure testosterone supplementation is illegal in any professional sport but I wonder if it might be a factor for him. This is a bit of silly speculation but I would like to know what his test levels are. Doesn't mean he won't make it though. Serena Williams is the greatest tennis player in history and she can't grow a full beard either.
I wouldn't have thought so...

Attachments

• IMG_0782.JPG
    IMG_0782.JPG
    78.1 KB · Views: 4

upload_2017-9-6_12-2-59.jpeg

Mate if you are comparing s**t beards to Low Test and therefore poor performance how do you explain the following:

1.Joe Daniher
2.Dyson Heppell (apparently has a moustache)
3. The Bont (got forbid - I thinks he shaves the patchy bits though to....make it look patchy).

On that note - Why isn't Kieran Collins All-Australian going on your thesis? His test levels are 109 apparently.

Mate if you are comparing s**t beards to Low Test and therefore poor performance how do you explain the following:

1.Joe Daniher
2.Dyson Heppell (apparently has a moustache)
3. The Bont (got forbid - I thinks he shaves the patchy bits though to....make it look patchy).

On that note - Why isn't Kieran Collins All-Australian going on your thesis? His test levels are 109 apparently.

Notice that I never claimed a correlation between his underwhelming performance to his theoretical low test, it was you who made that connection. I merely questioned it in regards to his apparent lack of intensity/desire at times and his depression. I actually pointed out the opposite; that testosterone levels aren't inherent in ability to perform, with the admittedly flippant Serena example.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back