MVP Tommy Boyd - The Boy, The Man, The Premiership Hero

Dry Rot

My hat is better than yours
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Not strictly about Tommy but close enough.

DEFENDING NAB AFL Women’s premiers Western Bulldogs have signed basketballer Tessa Boyd on a rookie contract.

The 20-year-old Boyd is the sister of Bulldogs premiership ruck/forward Tom Boyd.

The Bulldogs noticed Boyd – who plays for the Nunawading Spectres in the SEABL – during trials for their VFLW team, picking up on her speed, agility and competitiveness.

"It’s pretty new to me, so I’m very excited to get started in November,” she told the club’s website.

"I have a lot to learn…I tried out for a few (football) teams a few years ago but every team I tried out for ended up folding, so I took that as a sign to stick with basketball."

The club’s AFLW list manager Michael Sandry said Boyd showed plenty at the trials.

"Unfortunately, due to university and basketball commitments, Tessa couldn’t play VFLW with us this year," he said.

"However we kept in contact with the hope of signing her to our AFLW list, which we are really excited to do.

"Tess has a strong appetite for the contest and is really competitive. She has a really natural kicking action and we believe she will be able to adapt to multiple roles."

The rookie-signing period closes on September 28. AFLW teams can sign up to two players who have not played football in three years (prior to May 1 this year) or have not been involved in an AFLW high-performance program.
AFLW: Dogs sign sister of 2016 flag hero

She has small hands.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

doggiesmrx

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Just posted in the Wingard thread - this fella providing a good contest inside 50 is crucial next year for guys like Wingard (if he comes), Gowers, Dickson, Lloyd (if we get him) and our resting mids.

Pannalstaroz

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Thread starter #7,779
Just posted in the Wingard thread - this fella providing a good contest inside 50 is crucial next year for guys like Wingard (if he comes), Gowers, Dickson, Lloyd (if we get him) and our resting mids.
One thing no one can ever accuse him of is not competing. He doesn’t get beaten in the air.

Moonshift

Senior List
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Any more detail?

Tom Hawkins has played some good footy with a pretty bad back. But then it seems pretty accepted that Boyd is no Hawkins....
Hawkins back was only really causing him problems in one year.

Boyd's resembling Scott Gumbleton more, a player with back problems who never got going.

AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Any more detail?

Tom Hawkins has played some good footy with a pretty bad back. But then it seems pretty accepted that Boyd is no Hawkins....
Struggling to bend over still

Cartilage in his back not in a good way.

Direct quote was “don’t expect him to play much next year” but it’s from a mate of his so possibly / hopefully being over dramatic

ossie_21

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Everton
Struggling to bend over still

Cartilage in his back not in a good way.

Direct quote was “don’t expect him to play much next year” but it’s from a mate of his so possibly / hopefully being over dramatic
Smith retired due to injury, knee unable to cope
Redpath retired due to injury, knee unable to cope
Suckling persistent Achilles injury
Wood persistent soft tissue injuries
Adams persistent (insert any injury here)
(insert any young player here) stress fractures
Picken out indefinitely & may never play again
Webb out indefinitely & may never play again
Boyd out indefinitely & may never play again

The world is rosy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BRWB

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Happy festive season to all.

As the suppository for all things Boyd only fair to update thread with Mofra's rating of big Tom as number one in his bottom 50 AFl players for 2018.

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/mofras-bottom-50-for-2018.1203586/page-50#post-59172911

With Tom apparently on a restricted pre season it will be interesting to see how much game time he gets. IMO both Trengove and English are ahead of Tom as rucks. While Schache is already ahead as a fwd as he can mark the ball.

Tipping 12 games max for Tom this year even if fit....unless something GF dramatic like happens.

C'mon Tom show your mounting number of doubters that we are wrong.

ScragCity

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I'm just glad he won't be taking up a disproportionate chunk of cap space for too much longer so we can re-sign the blokes who can get on the park.

Munnez

Senior List
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Any more detail?

There were plenty that thought Tom Hawkins was a spud before he tore the 2011 GF apart. Hopefully T Boyd can get himself fit and become the key forward 2nd Ruck that we hope he can be

Hard Ball Get

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

As the suppository for all things Boyd only fair to update thread with Mofra's rating of big Tom as number one in his bottom 50 AFl players for 2018.

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/mofras-bottom-50-for-2018.1203586/page-50#post-59172911

With Tom apparently on a restricted pre season it will be interesting to see how much game time he gets. IMO both Trengove and English are ahead of Tom as rucks. While Schache is already ahead as a fwd as he can mark the ball.

Tipping 12 games max for Tom this year even if fit....unless something GF dramatic like happens.

Leave the bay shit where it belongs.

AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
T'Wolves, Renault F1, Footscray
Moderator #7,796

I find your obsession with continually bumping this and other threads to propagate your well-known views on Boyd in the absence of any actual updates distasteful and somewhat troubling to tell the truth.

I mean...feel free to continue to do so. I just don't understand what you're getting out of it. Intended or not, it's coming across as being quite a morbid fascination at this point.

AJARWA

Team Captain
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I find your obsession with continually bumping this and other threads to propagate your well-known views on Boyd in the absence of any actual updates distasteful and somewhat troubling to tell the truth.

I mean...feel free to continue to do so. I just don't understand what you're getting out of it. Intended or not, it's coming across as being quite a morbid fascination at this point.
Dannnnnnn and others.... putting past performances aside for a second.... let's assume that Boyd continues the trend from 2017 and 2018 and has another disappointing season in 2019....

1. What influence, if any, do you think his remaining contract has on the Club's capacity to offer Josh Kelly terms that are competitive with other club offers at season's end?

2. What action should the club take, if any, regarding Boyd and his remaining two year contract, to help secure Kelly or use for other purposes?

Top Bottom