MVP Tommy Boyd - The Grand Final Enigma

Remove this Banner Ad

I might be a bit late to the party, but I’m guessing the Tom Boyd FB account that commented on the club FB post about Billy Gowers today is fake? How can that even be permitted to continue posting?
There are lots of fake/parody accounts of high-profile people unfortunately, no law against them as far as I know :thumbsdown:

I doubt Tom or Billy are actually on FB at all.
I would think none of them are. First day at the club, first meeting: "Boys, stay away from Facebook. You will never read anything good about yourself."
I've seen Tom's real FB page before (other players too), maybe he's upgraded privacy settings or deleted it.

Kudos to Tom for speaking out and doing something positive to try to help people with mental health issues. I just found out someone I know committed suicide - tragic for them and those left behind. :'(

Hope you are ok mate !!

Hope you are ok mate !!
Thank you so much for asking! It's a sad time but nothing compared to the family and friends of the poor lady in question. Police are investigating it as a murder now. :(

Last edited:
I doubt Tom or Billy are actually on FB at all.
Can confirm he is on Facebook.

I am good friends with a player from the Footscray VFL side and Billys Facebook often comes up in my list of 'People you may know'.

Not sure about Tom but I dare say he would be on Facebook as well.

hank you so much for asking! It's a sad time but nothing compared to the family and friends of the poor lady in question. Police are investigating it as a murder now. :(

s**t, sorry to hear mate. Reach out if you need to chat. PM if necessary

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The most interesting part of that interview for me was when he said that coming from a good family, being good at everything as a teenager, loving school etc - he had never come across adversity in his life before becoming an AFL player. And that he did not have the skills to deal with adversity as a young man leading to the anxiety that he has suffered in the last few years.

It really is a remarkable insight from a very intelligent, forthright Premiership legend.

Totally agree!

Listening to that it’s obvious what a quality individual Tom is. Intelligent, mature and self aware. If we can continue to maintain a good culture around this bloke he will eventually take the comp by storm.

The turning point will be the development of English, so Tom can move up the ground. Once Tom can settle in as a second ruck, marking forward in a year or two, look out.

Bevo’s Defense of this bloke is really important. So glad that he flies the flag for him.

Daily reminder that Boyd kicked a goal from the center square...fak

Literally watched this for the first time this year and I have tears streaming down my face. Best day of my life. Never felt anything like it.

Great opportunism from Boyd but the real hero of that play was undoubtedly Morris.

Watch how he's covering the wide side as the ball is rebounded then quickly reads the inside pass to Buddy, doubles back and closes quickly to make the spoil.

Then watch his second or third step after the spoil as he cramps up and can barely run ... until he see the handball going out to Buddy who is about to send it forward to possibly turn it into a 3-point game with 5 minutes left on the clock.

The subsequent chase and tackle resulting in the Boyd goal are now immortal moments, part of Bulldog folklore.

Great opportunism from Boyd but the real hero of that play was undoubtedly Morris.

Watch how he's covering the wide side as the ball is rebounded then quickly reads the inside pass to Buddy, doubles back and closes quickly to make the spoil.

Then watch his second or third step after the spoil as he cramps up and can barely run ... until he see the handball going out to Buddy who is about to send it forward to possibly turn it into a 3-point game with 5 minutes left on the clock.

The subsequent chase and tackle resulting in the Boyd goal are now immortal moments, part of Bulldog folklore.

Spot on DW. Morris looks lie he hobbling like an old man and puts on the jets and takes down Buddy. I'm so glad he will retire a premiership player

I'd turn for Dale....and I challenge any of you who say they wouldn't!

I'd also love to see that tackle immortalized in a statue outside Whitten Oval

Not strictly about Tommy but close enough.

DEFENDING NAB AFL Women’s premiers Western Bulldogs have signed basketballer Tessa Boyd on a rookie contract.

The 20-year-old Boyd is the sister of Bulldogs premiership ruck/forward Tom Boyd.

The Bulldogs noticed Boyd – who plays for the Nunawading Spectres in the SEABL – during trials for their VFLW team, picking up on her speed, agility and competitiveness.

"It’s pretty new to me, so I’m very excited to get started in November,” she told the club’s website.

"I have a lot to learn…I tried out for a few (football) teams a few years ago but every team I tried out for ended up folding, so I took that as a sign to stick with basketball."

The club’s AFLW list manager Michael Sandry said Boyd showed plenty at the trials.

"Unfortunately, due to university and basketball commitments, Tessa couldn’t play VFLW with us this year," he said.

"However we kept in contact with the hope of signing her to our AFLW list, which we are really excited to do.

"Tess has a strong appetite for the contest and is really competitive. She has a really natural kicking action and we believe she will be able to adapt to multiple roles."

The rookie-signing period closes on September 28. AFLW teams can sign up to two players who have not played football in three years (prior to May 1 this year) or have not been involved in an AFLW high-performance program.
AFLW: Dogs sign sister of 2016 flag hero

feel Morris (who was huge in that play no doubt) gets too much credit at the expense of Boyd.

He kicked it from inside the centre square. Buddy aside, i can't think of another player that can take advantage of that little opportunity.

My mind was nuked with positive feelings as soon as he did that. Haven't had those feels before and I doubt it will happen again.

Not strictly about Tommy but close enough.

DEFENDING NAB AFL Women’s premiers Western Bulldogs have signed basketballer Tessa Boyd on a rookie contract.

The 20-year-old Boyd is the sister of Bulldogs premiership ruck/forward Tom Boyd.

The Bulldogs noticed Boyd – who plays for the Nunawading Spectres in the SEABL – during trials for their VFLW team, picking up on her speed, agility and competitiveness.

"It’s pretty new to me, so I’m very excited to get started in November,” she told the club’s website.

"I have a lot to learn…I tried out for a few (football) teams a few years ago but every team I tried out for ended up folding, so I took that as a sign to stick with basketball."

The club’s AFLW list manager Michael Sandry said Boyd showed plenty at the trials.

"Unfortunately, due to university and basketball commitments, Tessa couldn’t play VFLW with us this year," he said.

"However we kept in contact with the hope of signing her to our AFLW list, which we are really excited to do.

"Tess has a strong appetite for the contest and is really competitive. She has a really natural kicking action and we believe she will be able to adapt to multiple roles."

The rookie-signing period closes on September 28. AFLW teams can sign up to two players who have not played football in three years (prior to May 1 this year) or have not been involved in an AFLW high-performance program.
AFLW: Dogs sign sister of 2016 flag hero

She has small hands.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back