MVP Tommy Boyd - The Grand Final Enigma

Remove this Banner Ad

He kicked 3 goals and missed a sitter to make it 4 - he kicked one on his left foot where he couldn't see daylight between the goalposts and one from 65m out which drove a stake through the Swans' hearts in the last... he also took 3 towering marks coming out of the backline in the last quarter when the margin was one point and the game was on the line...
Don't let your hatred get in the way of the truth.

No one suggests he didn’t but what had he done before the prelim and GF and what has he done since?

I know it’s harsh but his pay packet requires him to do a lot more and I for one am not sure he is giving/or what’s to give everything he has.

No one suggests he didn’t but what had he done before the prelim and GF and what has he done since?

I know it’s harsh but his pay packet requires him to do a lot more and I for one am not sure he is giving/or what’s to give everything he has.

At the end of 2014, if someone presented you the option to sign a player who will have a career best game and win you a flag but that's all you get out of them and you have to pay them $7M, would you do it?

At the end of 2014, if someone presented you the option to sign a player who will have a career best game and win you a flag but that's all you get out of them and you have to pay them $7M, would you do it?

This question operates on a false premise which is that we could not have possibly won the flag in 2016 without signing Boyd.

This question also really over-simplifies the equation. It really depends on what the consequences of paying a kid who only ever manages one good game $7M does. For example: what if doing that ruins our culture for 10 years because our other players who have contributed a lot more than one good game are feeling ripped off? What if resulting cap issues cause us to lose a generational player like English who might have lead us to three flags in his career? I'm not saying that is or will be the case but there are a lot of things to take into account if you were to make that decision again. We won't know for a while whether or not the Boyd contract was a net positive or a net negative for the club.

This question really over-simplifies the equation. It really depends on what the consequences of paying a kid who only ever manages one good game $7M does. For example: what if doing that ruins our culture for 10 years because our other players who have contributed a lot more than one good game are feeling ripped off? What if it causes us to lose a generational player like English who might have lead us to three flags in his career? I'm not saying that is or will be the case but there are a lot of things to take into account if you were to make that decision again. We won't know for a while whether or not the Boyd contract was a net positive or a net negative for the club.

Would take the deal regardless of the culture.

We hardly had a winning culture beforehand, and at least now, we've all got awesome memories of that one day in 2016 to take with us to the grave.

At the end of 2016, if someone just played their career best game and won you a flag, and came to you and said I've done enough to earn my massive cheque for the next five years, would you be happy?

No one is denying he was massive in the 2016 GF, but many don't think that excludes him from criticism for the rest of his career. Especially when he is taking a fair slice of the salary cap.

I don't see any reason to push Boyd out. We had enough money to go after Hurley, Lever and Wingard so it doesn't seem like we're strapped for cash. It's been said his contract was heavily front loaded so we've already gone through the expensive years. We're very short on KPF and from the look of not even trying to go for Lynch we're not concerned about fixing that.

Sometimes footy fans make it sound like a career is over at 25. He could have another 10 years ahead of him, why does him missing 12 weeks matter so much?

I don't see any reason to push Boyd out. We had enough money to go after Hurley, Lever and Wingard so it doesn't seem like we're strapped for cash. It's been said his contract was heavily front loaded so we've already gone through the expensive years. We're very short on KPF and from the look of not even trying to go for Lynch we're not concerned about fixing that.

Sometimes footy fans make it sound like a career is over at 25. He could have another 10 years ahead of him, why does him missing 12 weeks matter so much?

Its 12 weeks until he can get into full training. And great if its 12 weeks in isolation. But its not. He is averaging marginally over half the games over 5 years with a variety of problems. Two of which are likely chronic. 61 games - 5 years.

How much can a koala bear?

Its 12 weeks until he can get into full training. And great if its 12 weeks in isolation. But its not. He is averaging marginally over half the games over 5 years with a variety of problems. Two of which are likely chronic. 61 games - 5 years.

How much can a koala bear?

Libba's played 62 games over the past 5 years. I'm not trying to be deliberately obtuse, comparing a proven gun to a hopefully good player is a whole different thing. But calling it quits because a player can't get on the park right now seems short sighted to me. Missing 30-ish games because of health can be pretty insignificant with such a long time left.

Libba's played 62 games over the past 5 years. I'm not trying to be deliberately obtuse, comparing a proven gun to a hopefully good player is a whole different thing. But calling it quits because a player can't get on the park right now seems short sighted to me. Missing 30-ish games because of health can be pretty insignificant with such a long time left.

I'm not saying call it quits now. See how this season goes. And see about his prognosis and look at options then.

Lets just all hope he comes back into the side back cured or at least back improved and is a solid contributor up forward. The 6 / 6 / 6 rule may help him. I'm not writing him off, still very young for a key position player, still lots of improvement in him. Mobility in the modern game is more my concern.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As good as his heroics were that was two years ago now.

Look at Clay Smith who was arguably a more important factor in our finals series, he’s been unable to back up after 2016 and the club has mutually decided for him to retire. If we get to October and Boyd hasn’t showed any improvement or is still being hampered by injury I’d hope the club are having a serious chat about his future, whether that be him retiring prematurely or at least taking a Daniel Wells like pay cut.

I agree with MD, living in September 2016 has done our club any favours the last 2 years.
I don't think Boyd is in our best 22 right now but we aren't exactly blessed with talls who can ruck or compete forward.
If he gets back playing this year he develops his forward craft as Trengove won't be around forever and I really think English takes the no 1 ruck mantle from 2020.

Sweet is a developing rookie who had little to no interest from 17 other clubs so isn't exactly bankable back up.

If all the talk about Boyd' contract being front ended is true then we must persist with him till his contract is up. If he is only on say 6/700 in the last 2 years we would be mad to get rid of him. He has been paid big $$$ for not a whole heap of output but his body hasn't really given him a fair dinkum crack. Worst case we sit him out all year this year get his body right and let him have a full pre season next year. If he doesn't show anything he has 1 more year to show what he has and if nothing his career is done.
What if we give up on him at the end of the year another club takes the chance he gets his body right and starts to turn into the player everyone thought he would be. We would of paid him all his big $$$ then another club gets him at his cheapest and get all the rewards.
Stick to his contract if it doesn't work then so be it. He helped get us a flag.
Everyone on this board would be up in arms if we let him go now for nothing and he turns out to be something. We and only we should be the ones to find out.

Boyd has played 52 games for us

His contract was front ended so up til now the club has paid him over roughly 5 million.

That’s basically $100,000 a game.

$10,000 a possession

$125,000 a goal

$9,000 a tap out

Take the prelim and GF out and it is without doubt one of, if not the worst contract in AFL history.

I truly hope the bloke comes good but I cannot see it happening.

Last edited:
Thankfully someone got my point

Who are people kidding?

You offer that at the time and everyone on here would of taken it, We were the laughing stock of the league at the time.

I really hope it would work out for Tom and the club can have the last laugh about his contract , but now I have no hope yet i don't begrudge him at all for me feeling that way.

He clearly has issues and his health should be the main concern, not if he will get a kick again.

As good as his heroics were that was two years ago now.

Look at Clay Smith who was arguably a more important factor in our finals series, he’s been unable to back up after 2016 and the club has mutually decided for him to retire. If we get to October and Boyd hasn’t showed any improvement or is still being hampered by injury I’d hope the club are having a serious chat about his future, whether that be him retiring prematurely or at least taking a Daniel Wells like pay cut.

I agree with MD, living in September 2016 has done our club any favours the last 2 years.

Can’t compare Smith & Boyd, Smith’s knee medically was unable to continue. It wasn’t a mutual retirement he was too injury prone, it was that he could no longer play at all

Missing 12 weeks points to something more serious than a simple sprain. backs are tricky

Boyd has played 52 games for us

His contract was front ended so up til now the club has paid him over roughly 5 million.

That’s basically $100,000 a game.

$10,000 a possession

$125,000 a goal

$9,000 a tap out

Take the prelim and GF out and it is without doubt one of, if not the worst contract in AFL history.

I truly hope the bloke comes good but I cannot see it happening.

Or, looking at it from another perspective, that's $2.5 million for each of the Prelim and GF wins. I'm happy with that. I reckon the Club would be too.

Or, looking at it from another perspective, that's $2.5 million for each of the Prelim and GF wins. I'm happy with that. I reckon the Club would be too.

im split on TOYD situation. im greatful that he was able to stand up in those games. i was hoping he would kick on from the GF, there's no bigger confidence booster in a career than performing on the biggest stage. thus far he has demonstrated nothing after the GF. what ever reason it might be, i just don't think he is a good player. i see no facets in his game to be excited over.

then again he isnt the only player to perform poorly over the last 2 years, inc bevo.

i think we need to be realistic, just because he played well in a GF, doesnt make him a star. Lycette and vardy played great GF themeselves, and cox almost won the pies the cup.

I don't think most people are quibbling that Tom served us well for two weeks in 16. Nor do they begrudge paying.

Having said that, like with Clay Smith who was chronically injured, at some point after the GF the club has to manage its list for now and going forward.

The club will need to assess at some point as to whether Tom can play at the required level, if much at all.

Unless he fixes his marking and aggression, not sure he will be anything better than a mediocre ruck fwd but hoping his back and other conditions clear and he gets a clear run at it to prove himself one way or another (and 2 games in 16 don't prove much although very grateful for them).

Missing 12 weeks points to something more serious than a simple sprain. backs are tricky
I believe i read somewhere that he had a bulging disc in his back or something along those lines. I think it was reported late last season not long after he first injured it.

If the glass was half full it is the greatest contract in history - far superior to Chris Judd’s Carlton horseshit. Footy is about team success. I couldn’t give a faaark about Brad Hardie’s Brownlow. Thomas J Boyd won us a Premiership.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back