Mega Thread Tommy Mitchell - All Contract Talk in here

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why not? Say, hypothetically, we traded Reid to Collingwood, Mitchell to Poorthorn, and Richards and McGlynn retired. That's $1.5 million right there.

$300k goes to draftees and pay rises, plus you have the cap rises over the next 5 years.

Worth it for the head explosions too.
As a general rule wouldn't the total being paid to the current players increase? That would be a few hundred k in itself I would have thought.

If your proposed trade goes through they wont win one for 15 years.

Im more than happy with it as a swans fan and im sure the hawks are too.

However i would think freo would want a lot more and would get it. Even if they waited another year and he left under free agency they would be better off.

Just as an example Judd got wce picks 3 and 20 plus josh kennedy.
Don't forget that WCEs won that trade hands down.

Sounds more like someone who hasn't made up their mind or is conflicted about what he should choose...take the money Tom you would be silly to knock back an offer too good to refuse. Your true friends will always be your friends, your family will always be your family. Football isn't forever, unless you have another way of earning the money that is being offered, take the money.
Everyone is different. For some blokes, the money isn't the primary reason. For others, that's all that matters. Like any job there are things other than money that can make you stay put just like an attractive offer from a business rival might tempt you over to their side of the CBD... He's a young bloke, in a fortunate position with a massive career choice to make. I hope he takes everything into account & makes the call that means he can sleep at night knowing he made the right call for himself & not anyone else.

Hopefully that's staying a blood. If not, good luck to him.

Everyone is different. For some blokes, the money isn't the primary reason. For others, that's all that matters. Like any job there are things other than money that can make you stay put just like an attractive offer from a business rival might tempt you over to their side of the CBD... He's a young bloke, in a fortunate position with a massive career choice to make. I hope he takes everything into account & makes the call that means he can sleep at night knowing he made the right call for himself & not anyone else.

Hopefully that's staying a blood. If not, good luck to him.

I understand what you're saying...I just think that for Tom the decision has come down to money. He has stated all the reasons why he would stay. He has not stated the reason or reasons he would go. I would guess that the reason he would go is primarily money.

The Swans are waiting until they know what they're total player payments will be next year?

Sounds like we've pretty much offered all we can and are now waiting to see what further retirements and trades might occur before revising it.

Fyfe is playing hardball with the Dockers, but as if a country boy like him would leave WA! He has family and business connections.

And to come clear across country, to big city Sydney, of all places. Don't we still have the No -----eads policy? Or so the rumours go at Freo. Perhaps a little unfair on him.

Still , if he arrived and bought into our Bloods culture, exciting all the same. We could probably turn him into a reasonable player.

From what I'm hearing the issue is Fyfe wants players at Freo to raise their level to something like what exists at Sydney and Hawthorn and there is resistance in the group to that. And that certainly fits in with the Kirk relationship.

There would be few teams from Melbourne better placed than the Swans to win a premiership in the next few years so that must be a draw card. Hawthorn have shown to be great recruiters but their top 6 is getting pretty long in the tooth and those retirements are really going to change the face of that team. If he can still earn more than decent coin and stay in the premiership window then it must be worth staying. If that's not enough, as much as I rate him, it's hardly the end of the world and we have some cap space to do some good trading.

From what I'm hearing the issue is Fyfe wants players at Freo to raise their level to something like what exists at Sydney and Hawthorn and there is resistance in the group to that. And that certainly fits in with the Kirk relationship.
When he won the Brownlow he spoke of his undying love for the Fremantle Football Club so he's not going to leave on a whim. If this is his approach you'd have to think Ross would see eye to eye with him on this and they'll need to judge who is prepared to do the hard yards with them.

Say if Tommy is offered 550k to stay, but $700k by Hawks or Carlton.

Who could blame him if he left, I certainly wouldn't.

With Fyfe, we couldn't afford his salary, Tommy or no Tommy. And anyway, Eddie's face would turn an even deeper shade of vermilion..

With Fyfe, we couldn't afford his salary, Tommy or no Tommy. And anyway, Eddie's face would turn an even deeper shade of vermilion..
I'm more than happy for him to go to another team if he gets a big money offer. As long as he pulls at Jetta when he gets there. ;)

Doesn't that justify it on its own?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The other side of the equation is: if you've been earning a million a year, won a Brownlow and are already pretty much set up financially, would you take a pay cut to play with peers you respect with a great chance of taking out a Premiership? Safe in the knowledge that your remuneration would come back to something approaching parity over time?

It's quite possible Fyfe will buy into a culture both mentally and financially when he knows he isn'tbeing leaned on to 'do it all'. I'm not sure he'd take that same pay cut for teammates who are starting to leak snippy comments to the media about how he's "too intense", or to a team that is prepared to run him out injured and risk his entire playing career (which is how I interpret his disappointment at that second leg break).

Freo are an absolute hot mess. Something's either wrong with Lyon, his coaching staff and his coaching regime, or there's something wrong with the players, their mentality, and their relationship amongst themselves.

Either way, I don't want a single player whose ever worn a Dockers jumper.

I would be disappointed if we offered less than $550K a year as that seems to be around fair value.

On the flip I would not be disappointed if he left for $750K a year, as we have more pressing needs with that type of cash going forward. A run and carry midfielder with good kicking skills is required.

I would be disappointed if we offered less than $550K a year as that seems to be around fair value.
On the flip I would not be disappointed if he left for $750K a year, as we have more pressing needs with that type of cash going forward. A run and carry midfielder with good kicking skills is required.
I agree. 12 months ago I'd have said we needed a KPD, but then along came Aliir Aliir, and Reg just keeps on keeping on.

Midfield speed and delivery are much more urgently needed these days.

We don't even have ebough cash to sign Tom Mitchell so how on earth can we afford fyfe who'd want literally double of what Tom wants.

We don't have enough money for Tommy because that money is going to fyfe.

We were looking at a couple of signings during the trade ban, one of which was ryder (if the rumours were true).

We have 38 players on our list. Save money.

If you look at our player profile, we have a lot of youngsters in the team. And quite a few players with low profiles who are performing above their pay brackets. Save money

We have buddy on big money, tippo would be on a fair amount as well. Parker and hanners on decent coin. I don't think we're overpaying JPK.

We'll have a couple of retirements in mcglynn n teddy.

We have Reid and Mitchell are on substantial contracts, and both could be shed to ease any cap strain.

I think we've built a bit of a war chest, at least enough to get one big name signing (or 2 smaller signings).

The question is, do we have someone who is worth pursuing at the expense of some of the younger guys coming through? Or do we stick with our current list and factor in contract extensions for the younger guys.

I firmly believe we have the money to get close enough to retain Mitchell, we're just not willing to do it because we have bigger plans in mind.

I don't subscribe to the belief we're experiencing a cap squeeze atm

We don't have enough money for Tommy because that money is going to fyfe.

We were looking at a couple of signings during the trade ban, one of which was ryder (if the rumours were true).

We have 38 players on our list. Save money.

If you look at our player profile, we have a lot of youngsters in the team. And quite a few players with low profiles who are performing above their pay brackets. Save money

We have buddy on big money, tippo would be on a fair amount as well. Parker and hanners on decent coin. I don't think we're overpaying JPK.

We'll have a couple of retirements in mcglynn n teddy.

We have Reid and Mitchell are on substantial contracts, and both could be shed to ease any cap strain.

I think we've built a bit of a war chest, at least enough to get one big name signing (or 2 smaller signings).

The question is, do we have someone who is worth pursuing at the expense of some of the younger guys coming through? Or do we stick with our current list and factor in contract extensions for the younger guys.

I firmly believe we have the money to get close enough to retain Mitchell, we're just not willing to do it because we have bigger plans in mind.

I don't subscribe to the belief we're experiencing a cap squeeze atm

Im not being a smart ass but do you have any evidence other than your opinion to support what youre saying?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back