Mega Thread Tommy Mitchell - All Contract Talk in here

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We don't have enough money for Tommy because that money is going to fyfe.

We were looking at a couple of signings during the trade ban, one of which was ryder (if the rumours were true).

We have 38 players on our list. Save money.

If you look at our player profile, we have a lot of youngsters in the team. And quite a few players with low profiles who are performing above their pay brackets. Save money

We have buddy on big money, tippo would be on a fair amount as well. Parker and hanners on decent coin. I don't think we're overpaying JPK.

We'll have a couple of retirements in mcglynn n teddy.

We have Reid and Mitchell are on substantial contracts, and both could be shed to ease any cap strain.

I think we've built a bit of a war chest, at least enough to get one big name signing (or 2 smaller signings).

The question is, do we have someone who is worth pursuing at the expense of some of the younger guys coming through? Or do we stick with our current list and factor in contract extensions for the younger guys.

I firmly believe we have the money to get close enough to retain Mitchell, we're just not willing to do it because we have bigger plans in mind.

I don't subscribe to the belief we're experiencing a cap squeeze atm

Reid is actually not on big money, it was the extended years that increased the overall size of the deal.

Agree that we are not tight on the salary cap, but the effects of the COLA washing out and Buddy's deal now entering its highest point, we need to be prudent with our pay scales and we need to protect our position in the next couple of years to be flexible for any attractive trades that might come up.

Mitchell might end up being a victim of this, despite both parties wanting him to stay.

Last edited:

I can't view it. Does anyone know what his comments were? SEN said tonight that it was likely that he would stay despite much more lucrative offers and that was a reflection of our culture.
It will say alot about tom as a person if he stays. Turns down big offers and happy to be almost a 3rd stringer when he can go and be the number 1 man at about 15 other clubs

What do the best players in the AFL want to achieve more than anything else?? Money or success?? I'm sure Mathew Pavlich and many other similarly talented players would give up a heap of their dosh in order to have a premiership medallion. Once you have experienced it once, you want it again and again. Brisbane could offer Tom $800K a year but would it be worth it? Don't think so. With Hawthorn's aging list, I believe he would forego any chance of the ultimate prize if he left us to go there.
At the end of the day, with the money they are earning, an extra $200K becomes nearer to $100K after tax. I reckon I could live quite comfortably on $500K a year so they should look at what will be best overall for them - not their managers.

It will say alot about tom as a person if he stays. Turns down big offers and happy to be almost a 3rd stringer when he can go and be the number 1 man at about 15 other clubs
I wouldn't think that pecking order would matter unless you're at risk of dropping into the reserves team (which won't be a concern of his). It should really come down to $ vs success.

I can't view it. Does anyone know what his comments were?

c656e3b29cfd44a1839a89697c3fc4fa

Asked whether he wanted to stay at Sydney, Mitchell told the Herald Sun: “Yeah, definitely. I think it’s been proven the club has been successful for a long period of time and hopefully we can continue that this year. There’s some exciting times ahead.

“I did grow up in Melbourne and it is great to come down and see family and friends every time I’m down here. I love coming down here, but at the same time I’ve got a lot of great mates in Sydney and I enjoy my time up there too.”

Mitchell and Sydney were close to securing a new deal in June before a disagreement over terms prompted both parties to put talks on hold.

Mitchell’s manager Phil Mullen earlier this month said club and player were “not too far away” in their estimation of the player’s value, which industry figures yesterday put at $500,000-$550,000 a season on the open market.

Mullen said the “ball is in Sydney’s court” and argued the Swans had to increase their offer to guarantee keeping the ball-winning left-footer.

Mod edit: Not allowed to reproduce news articles in full. Just include a few key quotes from the article.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've said it before...he's not going anywhere!

I'd like to share your confidence on the matter Mick!
If Tom stays, I feel he is going to have to do a little swallowing of pride & take our last offer. The Swans don't have a recent history of getting involved in bidding wars. If this is about what Barry gets, then that is out of line & we shouldn't have such a player at our club. It's unhealthy. You either want to be a Swan & fit into our pay scale for this much per season & for this long & enjoy the ride with a high degree of predictability, or you take a punt, where you think you are on a better wicket but ultimately you may end up an unhappy footballer not getting the best out of yourself.
That's all fair enough.

From his more recent comments, Tom says his loves the Swans!
As far as I'm concerned, those comments alone mean he should just sign up. If he loves the Swans & leaves this early in his career, he may have some regrets later. Tom should sign up, keep up with his steady improvement & we are a club that will reward him as a loyal servant as he signs further contracts. Too soon to leave now Tom. Sign up & be part of something exciting that is about to happen in the next few years. At 27 or 28 YO, Tom will be able to cash in elsewhere if needs be. Who knows what we had on the table for Tom, but I am more than happy with the club just holding their ground on this with the risk of losing Tom.
For all the players we have "had to lose" because of the recruitment of Buddy & Tippett, (Mummy, Malceski, Membrey, Biggs etc), we have done OK compared to the clubs they have gone to. We sit above all those teams & apart from a higher pay packet, they are no longer part of one of the most professional organisations going around in the AFL.
Membrey learnt his best lesson ever the other night in the third Q! He should have toughed it out as a Swan! The X Man has his spot now!

Why go looking for trouble if you are half way there & admit you love the club?

I'd like to share your confidence on the matter Mick!
If Tom stays, I feel he is going to have to do a little swallowing of pride & take our last offer. The Swans don't have a recent history of getting involved in bidding wars. If this is about what Barry gets, then that is out of line & we shouldn't have such a player at our club. It's unhealthy. You either want to be a Swan & fit into our pay scale for this much per season & for this long & enjoy the ride with a high degree of predictability, or you take a punt, where you think you are on a better wicket but ultimately you may end up an unhappy footballer not getting the best out of yourself.
That's all fair enough.

From his more recent comments, Tom says his loves the Swans!
As far as I'm concerned, those comments alone mean he should just sign up. If he loves the Swans & leaves this early in his career, he may have some regrets later. Tom should sign up, keep up with his steady improvement & we are a club that will reward him as a loyal servant as he signs further contracts. Too soon to leave now Tom. Sign up & be part of something exciting that is about to happen in the next few years. At 27 or 28 YO, Tom will be able to cash in elsewhere if needs be. Who knows what we had on the table for Tom, but I am more than happy with the club just holding their ground on this with the risk of losing Tom.
For all the players we have "had to lose" because of the recruitment of Buddy & Tippett, (Mummy, Malceski, Membrey, Biggs etc), we have done OK compared to the clubs they have gone to. We sit above all those teams & apart from a higher pay packet, they are no longer part of one of the most professional organisations going around in the AFL.
Membrey learnt his best lesson ever the other night in the third Q! He should have toughed it out as a Swan! The X Man has his spot now!

Why go looking for trouble if you are half way there & admit you love the club?

Agree entirely. He and his agent are trying to manipulate an outcome with threats of Carlton in 2014 and hawthorn now. For what??? $50k a year maybe? Pretty sure that if I were the swans and a player had milked the situation like that that when it came time for a tap on the shoulder/delist/ retire you wouldn't hesitate. Dog eat dog. You want more then be selfless like Goodes(please guys put me down to the 2s). That Is what you call loyalty and sacrifice for the cause- no one above the club or team! These guys are expert at placing a value on a player. They don't get it wrong.

Last edited:
I back the swans management 100% and always have.

I think Mitchell is selfish, and not just during contract negotiations but on the field. There was an incident in the goals square where Mitchell and another player were going for a ball, may have been rohan. And Mitchell just got in the way and tried to kick it off the deck.

There was also an instance where he and towers were going for a loose ball and towers was better placed to take possession but Mitchell still attempted to dive in the ball. Luckily towers managed to win the ball and get away with it.

But they were 2 instances where he wasn't in a great position yet still went after it even though a teammate was in a better position.

He also loved a ping at the goals,particularly early on in his career when he used to spray his half chances.

Don't rate him.

I think Mitchell is selfish, and not just during contract negotiations but on the field. There was an incident in the goals square where Mitchell and another player were going for a ball, may have been rohan. And Mitchell just got in the way and tried to kick it off the deck.

There was also an instance where he and towers were going for a loose ball and towers was better placed to take possession but Mitchell still attempted to dive in the ball. Luckily towers managed to win the ball and get away with it.

But they were 2 instances where he wasn't in a great position yet still went after it even though a teammate was in a better position.

He also loved a ping at the goals,particularly early on in his career when he used to spray his half chances.

Don't rate him.
I rate him extremely highly but yes he can be a bit hungry around goals, however he is much better than he used to be

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't rate him.

What I remember most about those two incidents is the spray in the coaches box from Horse. "Expletive expletive expletive broken phone expletive expletive"

Somewhat displeased was our fearless leader

Yep Horse has spent a fortune on Tai Chi and yoga to calm his troubled soul because of our beloved Tommy......all to no avail those days.

Now there's a thought ..... A tai chi and yoga discount in his contract !!!!........ Both parties meet in the middle.

Come on tommy think of his medical and counselling costs

Im really tossing and turning over the mitchell situation. One hand i want to keep him, he is an elite player and can see him winning a brownlow one day.

On the other , its only a matter of time beforw heeney and mills get unleashed on to opposition midfields. Imo they are going to be more damaging then mitchell.

if we sign mitchell, great. However i dont want the club to find themselves under pressure to retain heeney and mills. They both will constantly be getting offers from other clubs, we need to be able to compete for their signiatures. of mitchell is the sacrificial lamb, then unfortunately he may have to go

Why don't you all wait until we finish the season as Tom is. Absolute waste of time.

Because it's interesting to discuss things like this? Sorta what BigFooty is all about ;)

But it's done to death. We are having a fantastic exciting season and personally I hate s**t like this thread as we don't know.

Simple, don't read it. The thread does say 'Tommy Mitchell - all contract talk in here', what else did you expect when you opened the thread?

Simple, don't read it. The thread does say 'Tommy Mitchell - all contract talk in here', what else did you expect when you opened the thread?

True words - the board is all about sharing views and opinions after all.

I come to the forum to read other people's views but also to read actual developments (and I'll admit rumors that have some level of merit behind them)

The small frustration I have is that there has been no real further development on whether or not he signs, yet more posts are thrown into the thread. I feel that the like button can not only show your acknowledgement of another's post but also that you share that opinion.

I hope Mitchell stays, but not for overs and not at the expense of our future expected stars. This my view, its clearly others' view, but it's been said multiple times by multiple people before and doesn't really further the discussion.

Can't think of a better system though and I'd much rather people share their views than not.

No inside info on this one Bedford?

He said Tom will wait until the end of the season. One thing about Bedford, he means what he says.

True words - the board is all about sharing views and opinions after all.

I come to the forum to read other people's views but also to read actual developments (and I'll admit rumors that have some level of merit behind them)

The small frustration I have is that there has been no real further development on whether or not he signs, yet more posts are thrown into the thread. I feel that the like button can not only show your acknowledgement of another's post but also that you share that opinion.

I hope Mitchell stays, but not for overs and not at the expense of our future expected stars. This my view, its clearly others' view, but it's been said multiple times by multiple people before and doesn't really further the discussion.

Can't think of a better system though and I'd much rather people share their views than not.

I know, but that's the nature of a forum where everyone can share their opinions. One option to keep everyone happy would be to keep all the contract talk to the main list management thread and leave this one for discussing actual developments, but most people understand the situation with Tom so I'm happy to let this thread go for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back