Tonights fights on Fox

Remove this Banner Ad

May 20, 2006
In the Clique.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Any one watch tonight's fight night on Fox? I have a couple of issues.

The first issue I have is with Sonny Michael Angelo who was a disgrace. I have no issue with him self promoting, though I can only describe it as tacky, but that is his problem and I guess somebody likes that type of thing. What I object to is his reaction after his KO win. It was pathetic to say the least. The boy he KOed was out before he hit the deck. Celebrate yes but the hopping around his prone body was pathetic. Most class fighters have a care for their beaten opponent. I have seen this bloke fight before and he is OK on a national level. Tonight he lost my respect and if Fox have him on again I will not be watching. Another point is the Ref who proceeded to count out a clearly unconscious fighter. He should have had the mouth guard out in an instant. Counting the stricken fighter out and half watching Angelo act like an idiot is unprofessional.

2nd. The national featherweight title fight ended in a no contest after both fighters lost control of their senses and caused a ring invasion by the corners. Elomah from the start made it clear by his inability to touch gloves at the ref instructions that he was not there to box but to go into a pathetic free for all. He proceeded to break every rule in boxing. The other fighter Powell then lost his cool and attempted to kick the other fighter. The ref admonished Powell but not Elomah who was more guilty of infringing IMO. The after the bell hit on Powell by Elomah was let go and after that the fight was out of control.

3rd. The Fox commentator, Andy Raymond, had an appalling night. That will make a great rematch he gleefully announced. No said Jeff Fenech as it was a farce and not good for boxing. Fenech was correct. Raymond accused him of being PC. Andy Raymond attempted to make out that the No Contest due to blatant infringements by both fighters was some prime event. It was a farce.

4th. A great KO in the main event. One punch. The ref called it a slip. The boxer was clearly stricken and unable to stand. A ref standing in a 12 round title fight misses the punch, maybe forgivable, but thinks that a fighter with jelly legs has them through a slip??.

What a poor night.

Counting the stricken fighter out and half watching Angelo act like an idiot is unprofessional.

While I don't watch much boxing anymore, this seems pretty stupid. The Refs first priority should be the safety of the fighter.

i was only flicking over from the victory game

the featherweight fight was a joke and was started by elomar who tackled matty powell to the ground, a few kicks and headlocks later and you have elomar swinging a big right at powell who was being restrained by an official and wasnt protecting himself

atleast it was more exciting than the briggs fight :thumbsdown:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back