moses

Premiership Player
May 17, 2004
Home
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
GWS
According to this article from the Roar ( http://www.theroar.com.au/2016/08/26/adelaide-vs-west-coast-friday-night-forecast/ ), tonight's match between Adelaide and West Coast is the first all interstate Friday night game in the home and away season since 11 August 2005!

Does the AFL need to seriously review how the fixture allocates Friday night football? Having 1 all interstate game in 11 seasons of football is unbelievable. This other article from the Roar provides some more interesting insight into the fixturing of Friday night games http://www.theroar.com.au/2016/08/25/friday-night-footy-victorians-please/

According to this article from the Roar ( http://www.theroar.com.au/2016/08/26/adelaide-vs-west-coast-friday-night-forecast/ ), tonight's match between Adelaide and West Coast is the first all interstate Friday night game in the home and away season since 11 August 2005!

Does the AFL need to seriously review how the fixture allocates Friday night football? Having 1 all interstate game in 11 seasons of football is unbelievable. This other article from the Roar provides some more interesting insight into the fixturing of Friday night games http://www.theroar.com.au/2016/08/25/friday-night-footy-victorians-please/

IMO the AFL needs two Friday night games. (One on the East Coast (QLD/NSW/VIC) and one in SA/WA) IF the AFL gave a crap about anything else apart from its own league, this would also help support the SANFL and WAFL with the AFL game being the main event on the Friday night and then people can still focus on their state league games, also with SA and WA having the two newly awesome stadiums ready as well.

Why do we need a Sunday Twilight/Night game anyway.

Maybe the ''Big 4'' definition needs to change.

Hawthorn , Geelong nah that's all I got.

Adelaide , West Coast and the 2 above seem to be doing a lot of the heavy lifting

So what i have learnt out of this for the teams in Victoria is one team an hour or two down the highway from melbourne and the other is the tasmanian team.

Lift your game Melbourne clubs. ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't want to think about all the good games I could have watched instead of watching the mediocre "Big 4" fumble all over each other on Friday nights as they jockey for 12th.
This.

Over the years when my own side hasn't been travelling well, the thing that interests me most is high-quality footy played by flag contenders, no matter who those contenders are. I don't want to see mismatches or cripple fights.

This.

Over the years when my own side hasn't been travelling well, the thing that interests me most is high-quality footy played by flag contenders, no matter who those contenders are. I don't want to see mismatches or cripple fights.

I agree about the quality but surely you see the problem with this. Should they decide the Friday night game the week before depending on who is travelling well?

Team X is having an unexpectedly good year - where are all their Friday night games?! :'(

Or base on it the previous year? Fremantle.

I agree about the quality but surely you see the problem with this. Should they decide the Friday night game the week before depending on who is travelling well?

Team X is having an unexpectedly good year - where are all their Friday night games?! :'(

Just share it between all the teams, or better yet, share it between the 14 clubs that aren't over exposed.

I think Friday night games should be shared roughly equally, with a preference towards teams that are travelling well (and yes, this is definitely an imprecise exercise).

12 Aug 2005 marked the start of round 20, between Fremantle and West Coast. Since that time there have been 250 Friday games, which if allocated evenly should have meant that GWS have played 6.3, GCS 7.7 and everyone else 14.7.

Taking that 14.7 number and the even scheduling of games, it should mean that the 16 teams should have played all but 3 teams by now, which means at worst a non-Victorian club should have played 4 other non-Victorian clubs on a Friday night since round 20 2005.

Even if the other non-Victorian clubs have not yet played GWS and GCS on Friday, that means since 2005 at worst they should have played all but 1 other non-Victorian club on Friday, for a total of 10 games minimum that should have been played since round 20 2005 if all things were even. But the AFL is far from even and that's why we have a 'fixture'.

Going further down the rabbit hole, if the AFL had the minimum number of non-Victorian Friday night games played, to maintain evenness they would need to give both GWS and GCS 2 games on Friday vs non-Victorian opponents, and one other all non-Victorian game on a Friday in 2017.

But we all know we'll get Richmond vs Collingwood, and Hawthorn vs North Melbourne, with a few Essendon, Geelong and Carlton games sprinkled around.

Would love to see a Showdown on a Friday night.

Will never happen cause the league knows people will watch and go to these games regardless of time slot. Same with the derby, although I could see a friday night derby happening in the new stadium

Tiny issue...

Non-vic clubs get broadcast on FTA TV into their home markets regardless of time slot.
If Vic clubs don't get the 'good' slots, they don't get broadcast at all.

If you want even access to the good slots, what about having even access to FTA?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back