Toast Tony Armstrong's 8 quarter day.

Remove this Banner Ad

DuckToaster

Maynards #1 fan
Aug 30, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Increadible effort by Tony. He gave it his all, could visibly see he began to struggle as soon as the final siren went as he look sore walking to the rooms. He simply would not allow his body to breakdown before then.

Leigh Lowther

All Australian
Apr 20, 2013
Rye
AFL Club
Collingwood
11682_Prince-1979.jpg

Wish he was an absolute star just so we could all make this comparison

THATSGOLD

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Sep 21, 2005
the G.. home of the pies!
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood
I know he didn't have a choice in the matter but for Tony Armstrong to get through 8 quarters was a magnificent effort, considering he was in our best 3 in the VFL and nowhere near our worst in the seniors.

A simply THANK YOU TONY.:)
Yeh thank you Tony you helped us tonight not get smashed.

Well done.

Well said MB, I know you've not been a fan.

I missed the game, being at a function, and literally couldn't believe my eyes to read on here when I got home that Armstrong played tonight, after playing in the twos earlier today. Literally gobsmacked.

eddiebankbalance

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 28, 2011
melb
AFL Club
Collingwood
Well said MB, I know you've not been a fan.

I missed the game, being at a function, and literally couldn't believe my eyes to read on here when I got home that Armstrong played tonight, after playing in the twos earlier today. Literally gobsmacked.
You were at a very l o n g function.

PattoMan99

Club Legend
Jun 21, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Good on the young fellow. Top effort that. But seriously how can this happen in the first place?? I was completely flabbergasted when I heard that.

Baird

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 3, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Good on the young fellow. Top effort that. But seriously how can this happen in the first place?? I was completely flabbergasted when I heard that.
We already had one of our emergencies called up after Elliott got injured.
So then Pendlebury injures his quad 5 minutes before the game, Reid injures his hamstring 5 minutes into the game and he's subbed on.

stfan

The Fan in Waiting
Mar 12, 2008
Melb
AFL Club
St Kilda
When was the last time this happened

Must be pretty rare.

I remember that Mark Scott (Full Forward) played both reserves and seniors in one day for St Kilda. He did it so that he would qualify to play finals in the Reserves (ie needed one more game to qualify).

Yeh thank you Tony you helped us tonight not get smashed.

Thanks for reminding us about the result but this thread is about recognising a very courageous individual effort... But I'm sure you knew that.

Kudos TA. Standing tall in what was a massacre. Well done mate.

Lady Paladin

Rookie
Jul 10, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Massive effort well done Tony! Always been a fan of his kicking skills hope he can get a decent crack at it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

jasonwilde

Club Legend
Sep 4, 2007
Lurking and liking
AFL Club
Collingwood
I can't believe I got through the first page of this thread without reading a negative comment.
FFS TG & Opti need to lift their game.

Sign of the times that Tony is able to play in a side with 7 injuries. Let's go crazy for the guy. Was the cream for the night. I'd kiss you if I could. I don't know where this guy will take us, but, Tony, take me with you on this journey.

A phenomenal effort, playing a full game on the back of a 5 - 5.5 hour turnaround from the VFL deserves a huge round of applause and some form of recognition from the club. Absolutely unheard of in this day and age of "modern" football and should never have happened.

Also cannot go unmentioned that the club well and truly stuffed up - Elliot was a known out on Thursday before the team was announced and yet was named, thereby unnecessarily reducing the number of available emergencies as Young was always going to play. Not withholding either of the other named emergencies from playing in the VFL which is the normal practice as I understand it when AFL/VFL teams play on same day, was the other stuff up.

Inexplicable, amateur hour style of cockup that shows a complete lack of contingency planning. :thumbsdown:

Sep 28, 2006
QLD
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
LA Lakers,NE Patriots,Liverpool FC
Even the most staunch haters would pay that effort. On ya Tony!
This effort alone should stop any hate he gets from now on.

Even if he stinks it up at some stage, I should be dealt with, with a simple "Tony Armstrong should be omitted", nothing more.

Massive cudos to TA, endeared himself to the army last night.:thumbsu:

Oct 9, 2009
CR0
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool
Great thread.

Can't say I'm devastated for you blokes (would expect the same coming the other way) but this should be viewed as a genuine positive amongst an avalanche of negatives. As long as any club has blokes like Armstrong around the traps there is something to work with.

Just an amazing effort. I wonder if a few of the more fancied players on your list found it difficult to look him in the eye after a performance like that...

Great thread.

Can't say I'm devastated for you blokes (would expect the same coming the other way) but this should be viewed as a genuine positive amongst an avalanche of negatives. As long as any club has blokes like Armstrong around the traps there is something to work with.

Just an amazing effort. I wonder if a few of the more fancied players on your list found it difficult to look him in the eye after a performance like that...

Last night was a slow motion train-wreck. Our "shitness" and bad-luck compounded to something greater than the sum of their parts. :) Tony Armstrong proved himself a trooper in what was otherwise a complete disaster.

Aug 13, 2012
Waiting for Josh Kelly #2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Great effort.

This happened to us a few years ago against Essendon. Not only did Ben Speight, a kid playing his first game, have to turn back on his way to Werribee, hurriedly call family and tell them he'd be making his debut after receiving the news that someone (can't remember who) was a late out, but Daniel Wells was also a late out after hurting himself in the warm-up. David Hale was called up after playing a full game in the VFL that day, and didn't make it to the ground until late in the last quarter. We only lost that game by a few points...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back