TigerTank

Premiership Player
Aug 24, 2000
Wendouree
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
KC Chiefs, Royal Park FNC, Man City
Just because only one person believes something, doesn't make him wrong.

My favourite Cricket commentators are, for the most part, not unusual choices (I don't think).

Tim Lane, Colin Croft (WI) and Jonathan Agnew (Eng) are easily my favourites, which is why I prefer to listen to cricket on the radio than listen to the television commentators.

Lane is the best all-round commentator in world sport (both football and cricket) while "Crofty" and "Aggers" are obviously top blokes with great senses of humour.

But (and I know I'm the only one who believes this), of the Channel 9 team, I reckon Tony Greig is EASILY the best.

I just can't understand why everyone hates him so much.

He speaks clearly and accurately (unlike Bill Lawry, who sounds like he has a hose shoved up his nose, and "Mumbles" Taylor).

He speaks his mind and makes the tough calls, and doesn't always rabbit on about the home team. He also doesn't talk about himself all the time like Chappelli.

I think his SA accent sounds "rorther smort" (not as good as Michael Holding's dulcet tones though), and his knowledge of the game is the equal of Richie Benaud (and is a damn side better than newbies like Ian Healy).

Again, I can't understand why I'm the only bloke who reckons Tony Greig is any good.

------------------
TT - Obligatory bad-tempered Richmond supporter

TT

Yeah I can't understand why you like Tony Greig either!!

He just turned me off one day while crapping on about loyalty to a country - here is a South African who played for England and now lives in Australia preaching a bout being loyal to a country!!! - sheeesh!!

I admit he jumps in with his opinions and such but if you do that then if your wrong you should admit it, Greig never has (or I've never heard him!!)

Sorry, he's an absolute tosser!!!

Gotta agree about Tim Lane though - best in the business, footy and cricket, and I don't mind Aggers either!

my 2 cents

Cheers

Gonzo

Tim Lane is a good cricket caller but the best in the business at footy ? - sheesh pull the other one.

His shameless and gormless pro-Carlton bias is there for everyone to see. Don't you notice it ?

Its so obvious it almost becomes an exercise in self-parody. Not that a twit like Lane would know self-parody if it hit him in the face.

He is just way to precious about his darling little Carlton and the might
rolleyes.gif
of Victoria in general to even consider for a second what a biased clown he really is.

cheers

What little respect I had for Tony Greig went out the window the day Victoria unveiled shorts as part of their MM Cup uniform a few years back.
They'd been fielding for all of about five minutes before Tony Greig started rating the players' legs out of 10!

------------------
Listen through your eyes - See through your ears - Become one with the source
Light and sound are but one - in the heart of creation the rest is for you to discover

BSA

Agree with the Carlton thing re Tim Lane.

It would only bother me if North were playing Carlton - but 99% of the time I would be at North/Carlton games and I don't listen to the radio when I go to games - prefer to form my own opinions as to what's going on!!!

But from a neutral perspective Tim Lane craps (and from a great height!!!) on any other footy caller (radio and tv)

That's now 4 cents worth!

Cheers

Gonzo

Just on his sheer ability to call a footy game - yes Gonzo I guess you have a point there.

I just can't see past the guys bias, unforunately, so if I can help it, I won't listen to him.

Also very happy he is not on Talking Footy anymore

cheers

Michael Holding is pretty cut up about the Windies getting their arse kicked and in the test series he was making a count of the umpiring decisions gone aginist the Windies in the series. Where he said the count was 10-3. I wish he would shut up and stop making excuses for the Windies crap form.

------------------
"Collingwood forever"

yep Tim Lane actually has credibility in my eyes...its interesting that we think ex players make good commentators (well the networks seem to) but the 2 most respected guys would be Lane and Bruce neither of whome played at the highest level (personally I am not a big fan of Bruce but plenty are).

I think in the cricket the radio craps on the telly and generally the BBC craps on the ABC...love listenning to the Ashes.

In footy my fav. is Dwayne Russell. The thinking mans Rex Hunt.

ptw

Originally posted by Bloodstained Angel:
Tim Lane is a good cricket caller but the best in the business at footy ? - sheesh pull the other one.

His shameless and gormless pro-Carlton bias is there for everyone to see. Don't you notice it ?

BSA
You've obviuosly never heard a Sydney game called on TV.
Bruuuuuucee,Plugger and Roos sound like their having an orgy when they call Sydney games.
rolleyes.gif

------------------
"Screw you guys,I'm goin' home "

Don't worry JUBJUB

I know how bad those clowns can get - team them up with 'Special Bruce' and you have me reaching for the MUTE button every time ...

quite frankly I'm embarassed - and I thought Bobby Skilton was bad !

Good news though - Roos is now a full time assistant at the Swans so you won't have to put up with him this season ...

cheers

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Over here Ritchie Benaud is like a god if u like your cricket-you only feel that the game is about to start when the anchor man says 'Good morning Ritchie' & Ritchie replies'Good Morning Mark,good morning everyone & it's a glorious day for cricket here at Lords'-he's a full on Legend & he doesn't bag modern cricketers/cricket like most of the old f@ckers do.I quite like Bill Lawry over there,he's so one eyed it makes me laugh.

Geoff Boycott was always my favourite and we never got to hear enough from him over here.

"Mah grandmoother coulda coom back fer t'third"

"He couldn't have heet eet wi' a sweepin broosh"

------------------
Listen through your eyes - See through your ears - Become one with the source
Light and sound are but one - in the heart of creation the rest is for you to discover

All you hear with Tony Greig is "what a great city Sydney is" "What a great ground the SCG is" What beautiful weather in Sydney" "It's raining in Melbourne again" "what a great crowd in Sydney". He gets me annoyed every time I hear him.

Tony Greig's main role on the channel 9 commentary is to argue with and contradict Bill Lawry at every possible occasion. They're like the comedy duo of 9's coverage. Bill Lawry also during the Boxing Day test, described victorians as "frontrunners", after Tony noticed that "not every single seat" was taken on the opening day.

And like Darky, I too love to have a good laff at Geoff Boycott, who not only commentates the games, but manages to whinge and whine throughout, almost in Blighty like fashion, at why the batsmen arnt trying to push the run rate, why that was the stupidest shot he'd ever seen, why the bowler should be pitching it up more, and so on and so forth.

My actual FAVE commentator ever, is a female (YES FEMALE) whose name I cant remember, but she did the radio broadcasts for the ABC when Australia was touring the Windies last. A beautiful jamaican accent, and had a very extensive knowledge of the game- she wasnt out of place one little bit.

Does anyone remember hearing this lady ??? or maybe what her name was????

I remember being equally as impressed Arch...still can't remember her name though.

Perhaps if she was on Telly then we (being typical Aussie males) probably remember her physical features if not her name (sad but true).

ptw

Originally posted by dees01:
All you hear with Tony Greig is "what a great city Sydney is" "What a great ground the SCG is" What beautiful weather in Sydney" "It's raining in Melbourne again" "what a great crowd in Sydney". He gets me annoyed every time I hear him.

Dees01, you took the words right out of my mouth.
The guy is a w***er, send him home with Damir Dokic.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back