Tony Lockett career highlights on film

Remove this Banner Ad

I remember in the mid-80's it was good to see the Saints emerging, given their terrible run from 1980-84. They had some terrific young players. In the days when we had 6 games played on a Saturday arvo, I'd always check in to see how many goals Lockett had kicked. He was virtually unstoppable, especially at Moorabbin.

Great vision, thanks for posting OP

The defending compared to modern days is so horrific.

Just a bunch of 1v1's with defenders running everywhere like headless chooks

You are exaggerating a great deal in my honest opinion.
I understand defending was never as complex and sophisticated as what it is today but Lockett had to deal with multiple opponents on a regular basis throughout his career.
He is incredibly overlooked for his sheer athleticism. He was exceptionally quick once on the lead and he was very agile.

Arguably the most dominant forward we ever saw.
You put Lockett in the game of today, and he was asked to meet required time trials necessary for the game, and he would completely dominate and lead the goal kicking every year if injury did not hit him as it does for today's athlete.

I understand defending was never as complex and sophisticated as what it is today but Lockett had to deal with multiple opponents on a regular basis throughout his career.
He is incredibly overlooked for his sheer athleticism. He was exceptionally quick once on the lead and he was very agile.

You put Lockett in the game of today, and he was asked to meet required time trials necessary for the game, and he would completely dominate and lead the goal kicking every year if injury did not hit him as it does for today's athlete.

Don't get me wrong, I love Lockett, but put him in the game in 2018 and he wouldn't be kicking more than 80 goals at most a season.

Lol. Look at the defending ! They have absolutely no strategy, they just follow their forward around like a dog on a leash all day, and the kicker is normally under very little pressure.

He was a star but wow forwards had it so much easier back then.

Don't get me wrong, I love Lockett, but put him in the game in 2018 and he wouldn't be kicking more than 80 goals at most a season.

If Fevola was able to come close to the century on numerous occasions in the modern era, I'm of the opinion Lockett would have had no trouble matching that sort of output given their games where somewhat similar with the exquisite kicking and marking.

Last edited:
If Fevola was able to come close to the century on numerous occasions in the modern era, I'm of the opinion Lockett would have had no trouble matching that sort of output given their games where somewhat similar with the exquisite kicking and marking.

Massive difference between 2008 and 2018 in terms of defensive setups. Fevola wouldn't get anywhere near 100 goals in 2018.

Massive difference between 2008 and 2018 in terms of defensive setups. Fevola wouldn't get anywhere near 100 goals in 2018.

What massive differences are there though?
Remember, Fevola played in a time when defensive flooding was the norm. It came about during the very early 2000's and proceeded until attacking football became a revelation again, if not for a short period of time until recently.

What massive differences are there though?
Remember, Fevola played in a time when defensive flooding was the norm. It came about during the very early 2000's and proceeded until attacking football became a revelation again, if not for a short period of time until recently.

Zones and defensive pressure has changed massively since the early 2000s... The game is very different

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Zones and defensive pressure has changed massively since the early 2000s... The game is very different

Roughly a 2 goal differential 2001 and goal averages today.
We aren't talking a quarters worth of goals here. It's 2 goals and a lot of that is due to the simple fact you need to be an athlete before a footballer in order to get a gig in the VFL (then AFL).

As a Collingwood supporter, you saw firsthand what happens when you try and employ modern day tactics against old school philosophies for it was West Coast's two power forwards who completely turned the game on it's head and swayed them to victory.

Highest goal kicker this year was 70, at best he'd get around that.

The game is different now, he could potentially struggle without an acre of free space to lead into and with delivery that comes in under a lot more pressure.
Lockett was a far superior player to Riewoldt. Physically far more imposing, a great pack mark, the best shot for goal the game has ever seen. Don't forget you can't just take Plugger from 1990 and insert him into 2018. Let's give him the same coaching, the same diet, the same standards, as apply to today's full time professionals, and then see how he'd go. Listen to the full backs of the time and they say how quick Lockett was off the mark. He actually did some great work when the ball hit the ground, especially early days (although I think Dunstall had him covered in his aspect of the game). I don't think he'd lose too much at all.

Remember that final when he kicked 9 goals against Geelong at Waverley in 91/92, one of the great individual performances I have seen.

Still think he could kick 80-90 in todays football, he kicking was that good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back