Tony Lockett was better than Wayne Carey or Ablett Snr

Monkey King

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 31, 2007
AFL Club
Carlton
They kicked 3 goals to half time.

Exactly how much of the ball do you think was getting pumped forward cleanly when it was game on Hahahaha

But yeah bad game = terrible player
Ablett could've chipped in at any time, but this is just an irrelevant deflection from the obvious; which is your examples don't make a lick of sense. You criticised a player over an opposition scoreline that was actually the norm of the day. But rather than pull yourself up for a second, you just keep pumping out the bulldust - find one quote from me where I've suggested Ablett was a terrible player, or that one bad game means that. You're all at sea my friend.

PhatBoy

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Which 8 of his goals came after Geelong were already 40 points down Junk Time Gary
Oh well they don’t count then.

Same as Carey’s 6 in the 94 Or 95 prelim that everyone wants to pull themselves over when the cats piled on 7-8 goals in a row.

Junk time Duck.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Captain_Bender

Premiership Player
May 21, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Oh well they don’t count then.

Same as Carey’s 6 in the 94 Or 95 prelim that everyone wants to pull themselves over when the cats piled on 7-8 goals in a row.

Junk time Duck.
Yeah but in the 94 prelim North Melbourne weren't flogged for 3 quarters before kicking junk goals in the last after the game was over like Geelong in 89

qman

Team Captain
Jun 7, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Traditional vic teams
No knock on Plugger be he had guys like Harvey, Winmar and Burke up field from him. They might have struggled a bit from 10-18, but they had some top end talent. Which is why they were so good to watch, even if they weren’t contenders.
Great players you mentioned but didn't deliver the ball on a silver platter they way Pritchard and Jarman could.

catscollector

All Australian
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
Great players you mentioned but didn't deliver the ball on a silver platter they way Pritchard and Jarman could.
Tuck and Platten were pretty handy deliverers of the ball as well.

Later years, even blokes like Condon and Allan were stars in their own right. Hawthorn have always had brilliant midfielders.

footyfan78

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 27, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
Yeah but in the 94 prelim North Melbourne weren't flogged for 3 quarters before kicking junk goals in the last after the game was over like Geelong in 89
and in 95 North prelim final, North were thrashed. No way Carey got close to 6 goals that night.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

PhatBoy

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
junk time goals in the last doesn't count as a comeback, you're gotta actually be a threat to be considered a comeback
I suppose Ablett kicking the first of the game was in junk time as well. His 3 in the second quarter too when players on the leading team start running down the clock.

Steven Gerrard

All Australian
May 27, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Melbourn Victory, 49ers
I remember my ex girlfriend's best friend was starting to get into Aussie Rules and she told me she asked about thirty people "Why do they call Gary Ablett God?". No word of a lie, according to her, they all said the same thing - "Because he is". I told her the same thing, which prompted her to tell me about the other 29 people. This was before he took his break and in SA too where the love for the V was non existent.

The Bomb

Premiership Player
Dec 17, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Just read the 1st couple pages and the Rance vs Lockett talk has to be a joke, didn't Cloke take Rance to the cleaners?
You just know how young some people are when they bring Rance into a Lockett, Ablett snr and Carey discussion.

Vdubs

Hall of Famer
Jan 1, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Arsenal
North Melbourne built their game plan around Wayne Carey in a successful era. That says it all afaic.
Geelong would not have made the 4 GF's (they lost) without having Gary Ablett as their go-to player.
Not as successful as NM, but that is not the fault of GAblett.

Evolved1

Beancoin shill
Jun 14, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
As an Essendon man, you can see why this post a little contradicting though.
Carey dominated Essendon throughout his career.

His top three goal averages were against Fremantle 4 (faced them 8 times), Melbourne 3.25 and Essendon 3.21 goals per game.
Of course Essendon people will remember him fondly as bullying their side.

When Carlton people speak highly of Silvagni, it's not difficult to see why. Carey, this great player who bullied opponents, could only average 13.5 disposals, 4.5 marks and 1.4 goals against Carlton & Stephen.
Fair points, but I remember Ablett taking us to the cleaners many times as well. I can't recall Essendon being a particularly strong defensive side during my time as a fan.

If you do the stats for Ablett, I wouldn't be surprised to see Essendon right up there as one of the teams he feasted on most.

This doesn't seem to be a popular opinion here, but I don't rate great defenders as highly as great forwards regardless of the outcome of individual duels. I think defense is an easier role to play, especially during the 80's-90's era when the role of defenders was one-dimensional.

catscollector

All Australian
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
Fair points, but I remember Ablett taking us to the cleaners many times as well. I can't recall Essendon being a particularly strong defensive side during my time as a fan.

If you do the stats for Ablett, I wouldn't be surprised to see Essendon right up there as one of the teams he feasted on most.

This doesn't seem to be a popular opinion here, but I don't rate great defenders as highly as great forwards regardless of the outcome of individual duels. I think defense is an easier role to play, especially during the 80's-90's era when the role of defenders was one-dimensional.
I just don't understand why you wouldn't rate the great defenders. It was difficult back to then to play on a supremely gifted athlete. There was a bit more space for the forward to work with which made it even tougher for a defender to stay with them. I honestly believe that if Chris Langford played in the game today, we would be watching a Jeremy McGovern type but with even better accountability.

What exactly makes today's defender more complete than the defenders of the 80's and 90's?

Top Bottom