Tony Lockett was better than Wayne Carey or Ablett Snr

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Controversial opinion I know, but as someone who grew up closely watching all three, and saw them live many times, I honestly think Plugger was the best of them all, and the best player I have seen in my lifetime following footy (since 1986)

Plugger had a more significant and profound and longer lasting legacy on the game (especially in a pioneer state in Sydney) and his all time goal scoring record will never be broken (least in my time)

Annoys me that Lockett is rarely discussed in the GOAT of the game status, in my opinion he is comfortably in the top 5, if not 3, of the VFL/AFL history.

Jul 30, 2011
Right behind you
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Gunners & Steelers
No issues with Plugger being part of the GOAT convo. He is one of the best I have seen too. But it is apples, oranges and pears. All are good, but all are different. Lead out forward - Plugger. Overhead - Carey. Do freaky stuff that shouldn't happen - Ablett. But all of them players that gave opp coaches nightmares.

Best FF Ive seen - Plugger
Best CHF Ive seen - Carey
Best all round forward - Ablett

Maybe a Hudson v Plugger analogy would fit - both so very different players, in all ways, and if you got away with them only kicking 4 or 5 against you, then you'd had a good day. But can you pick between both in their prime.... nah, you'd find room for both.

Yojimbo

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 14, 2012
The "Elephant" in the room.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
This is controversy, the forward who grabbed my attention the most before his unfortunate knee injury was
Paul Salmon. I have never seen a truly big man rip it up even though it was brief only to return as a ruck
and forge a still great career. Tony Lockett was great as were the others, but there was a lot of me about
them.

Nugett

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 2, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I’ve had a lot of pleasure in seeing a lot of great players. Locket and Dunstall were 2 absolute standouts. Ablett senior, Voss, Greg Williams, SOS and Langford, Carey, Hird, McLeod and just recently Hodge and Sam Mitchell.

Also current players, that are nearing the end of the careers in Joel Selwood, Buddy and Shaun Burgoyne.

Feb 6, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
People drastically overrate Carey on account of that line by Leigh Matthews. Not saying he wasnt a champion but he wasnt GOAT.

Best forward I've ever seen? Be a tie between Ablett Snr and Daicos. Lockett easily the most consistent but at the time you'd be scratching your head wondering how God and the Wizard did it.

Aug 25, 2005
Grogansville
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Controversial opinion I know, but as someone who grew up closely watching all three, and saw them live many times, I honestly think Plugger was the best of them all, and the best player I have seen in my lifetime following footy (since 1986)

Plugger had a more significant and profound and longer lasting legacy on the game (especially in a pioneer state in Sydney) and his all time goal scoring record will never be broken (least in my time)

Annoys me that Lockett is rarely discussed in the GOAT of the game status, in my opinion he is comfortably in the top 5, if not 3, of the VFL/AFL history.
It's not an opinion - it's fact.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
Lockett is best full forward I seen in my time of watching.
Carey the best centre half forward I seen.
Gary Ablett the most skilled and entertaining single player to watch, Wing. half forward or full forward he was something else.
I've seen players I rate higher but on talent alone he is the most special I seen in my time of watching.
I have a suspicion if I was born a decade or so earlier Jesaulenko would trump him on talent.

All superstars in truest sense.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Plugger Lockett will forever have a much wider legacy on the game than Carey or Ablett Snr ever will, he more than anyone or anything (including the Swans premierships) is what got Sydney/New South Wales emotionally invested in our code.

I honestly don't believe his goal scoring record will ever be beaten either (least in our lifetime)

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond

Plugger was unstoppable. Watched at Moorabbin and sides had to play 2 on him he was that good. Quick on the lead, strong as an ox and nasty. The best FF I've seen easily. So I agree right up in the conversation. Ablett was also all of those things and a bit more, so maybe edges him for versatility, but he was not more dominant as a forward.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
This is controversy, the forward who grabbed my attention the most before his unfortunate knee injury was
Paul Salmon. I have never seen a truly big man rip it up even though it was brief only to return as a ruck
and forge a still great career. Tony Lockett was great as were the others, but there was a lot of me about
them.

Neil Danaher in the same boat.

Nah... just an accurate one IMO

Plugger is the best I've ever seen

GAJ is right up there when you consider his consistency and longevity

great OP, poignant timing with the recent retirement of his GOAT opposite number in Rance. Have to agree Plugger was the best FF.

Rance v Plugger would have been a sight to behold

Must be tiresome trying to shoehorn Richmond into every ******* thread.

ablett for his awesome norm smith game, imo was a let down in the other grand finals, but feared all 3 as opponents

I think dunstall should be in there

i just miss having those 4, and kernahan, lyon, modra, sumich, etc etc all playing every week

PetterdHoisted

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Must be tiresome trying to shoehorn Richmond into every ******* thread.
Players like Plugger and Tross transcend their respective clubs.

put your club-coloured glasses down, how many goals does Plugger kick on Rance?
For me a few, because he comes from another era Plugger would sink a few surprise elbows in, reducing Rance's effectiveness. After that it depends on delivery, bombed in high, Rance cleans him up, but lowering the eyes to Plugger on the lead...unstoppable.

Players like Plugger and Tross transcend their respective clubs.

put your club-coloured glasses down, how many goals does Plugger kick on Rance?
For me a few, because he comes from another era Plugger would sink a few surprise elbows in, reducing Rance's effectiveness. After that it depends on delivery, bombed in high, Rance cleans him up, but lowering the eyes to Plugger on the lead...unstoppable.

Delusional. Lockett would eat Rance for breakfast. The only way Rance has any effect is if they're playing in today's era where team defence helps him out immeasurably. One out like Silvagni back in the 90's? Wouldn't last the half. Richmond were hiding him on lesser forwards for god's sake.

I think dunstall should be in there

Agreed.

PetterdHoisted

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Delusional. Lockett would eat Rance for breakfast. The only way Rance has any effect is if they're playing in today's era where team defence helps him out immeasurably. One out like Silvagni back in the 90's? Wouldn't last the half. Richmond were hiding him on lesser forwards for god's sake.

Agreed.
Agree on a steamtrain lead, laces out, for Lockett. Disagree in other delivery cases, Rance's anticipation is elite, mop up/rebound/repeat as he has done with dominance for years now. Not even a guy with Buddy's athletic ability could get on top of him.

Back