Tony Lockett was better than Wayne Carey or Ablett Snr

Remove this Banner Ad

Given Geelong only lost by a goal, the game wasn't over at any point.

Riewoldt missed some very gettable goals early in the 2017 grand final which gave Adelaide an early lead. He had the yips if I remember right.
Geelong got flogged for three quarters before Hawthorn took to foot off and let Geelong kick some junktime goals

All 3 superstars and all had a bit of c$$t about them. Lockett arguably the most intimidating player to ever play the game. Does anyone remember the name of the Essendon full back that he got in a headlock and wouldn’t let go?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All 3 superstars and all had a bit of c$$t about them. Lockett arguably the most intimidating player to ever play the game. Does anyone remember the name of the Essendon full back that he got in a headlock and wouldn’t let go?
Don't recall. Rotten Ronnie Andrews maybe ?
I might be thinking Jacko and Rotten Ronnie at it.

Lockett was the best player I have ever seen. People who did not see a lot of him live don't appreciate all aspects of his game. Barassi said he was the most skillful player he had ever seen - that would surprise a lot of people but Lockett's hands were error free. In my time, only Greg Williams had hands as good as Locketts. His field kicking and ground ball play were exceptional and he could do it all in the air.

When you watched him live there was a feel of an adult playing in the under 15s. He was the only player on the ground that mattered and everyone watched him. I think Ablett did more spectacular things but Lockett turned up every game.

In the end, it is his stats that overwhelm you. He kicked a bag of 10 goals every 12 games he played. He kicked a bag of 5 plus very 6 out of 10 games. He did all of this in probably the most unskilled and worst performed side of the era.

Yeah I'd say you're wrong, and lockett was simply too big and heavy/didn't posses the agility to pull off some of the feats that Fev did.

My gf back then was a Saints supporter and Waverley was very convenient for me with a motorbike, so I saw a lot of Lockett; suffice to say, being a Blues man, I saw a lot of Fevola too. I'd venture to have seen these blokes play live many times more than you and I don't rate your opinion in the slightest.

Ironic you keep falsely claiming that "all the greats" rate Carey GOAT, but you'd be far and few between trying to get even one to agree with you re Fev/Lockett.

Lockett was the best player I have ever seen. People who did not see a lot of him live don't appreciate all aspects of his game.

This is so true. If you didn't see much of him live, you'd be mislead by how porky he looked on the tellie. He was so quick on the burst, it was amazing how much power he could generate.

Sometimes I think there is a bit of peer information conformity with the Carey is the GOAT view. He's certainly in the conversation, but I hardly think its clear cut as some say, but hes the default option people go with when pressed and its become the automated response for many without thinking too much on it.

It's great to have a debate on some other names. I would have Carey, Matthews, Ablett Snr, Lockett, and for younger viewers probably throw in Ablett Jr into the mix of discussion.

I often hear older people reference players like Whitten, Hart, Farmer, Barrassi, Bunton among others but its harder to discuss these guys now.

Bit easier to do when you only had to face Sydney Swans and an over the hill Carlton.
You saw firsthand what happened to North Melbourne when they had to actually face a decent grand finalist in Adelaide.

Swap Carey and Ablett around and give Ablett that North Melbourne side with that back-line and forward line (McKernan, Longmire, Grant, Abraham) and I'm pretty certain he has a flag or two.

People always forget Allison and Sholl! Haha

Anyway give Carey a midfield of Hocking, Couch, Bairstow etc and your umpires and he would have kicked 150 per season.

Carey made other players better, Lockett was just a sensational footballer and one of the most intimidating presences on a sporting field ever.

Saw Lockett a few times live and whether he kicked a bag or was struggling his demeanour was the same- he was just surly, almost seething.

Told this one in another thread, but thought I’d reproduce it here:

Heard a story from “Rocket” Rod Maynard, Crows defender in the early to mid 90s. Was the third defender to have a crack at Lockett one day, who had something like 8 half way through the third quarter down at Moorabbin.

So the ball starts wheeling down the wing again and Rocket, back in the goalsquare and no doubt feeling a bit isolated, grabs a fist full of jumper. Without looking at him, Plugger says, “Mate keep that up and we’re both missing the next 6”.

Rocket did as he was told.

If I weren't getting slammed at work, I'd expound on my point previously about Carey being the better all around footballer, as per ranking in attributes of the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back