Tony Lockett was better than Wayne Carey or Ablett Snr

Evolved1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 14, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
There's a common theme here.

Carlton supporters thinking Sticks and SOS are the greatest in every way, Richmond supporters thinking Rance and Jack Riewoldt are the greatest, and Geelong supporters doing much the same.

If anyone wants to try a little bit of crticial thinking in relation to their own team, I'm open for discussion.

Carlton supporters thinking Sticks and SOS are the greatest in every way, Richmond supporters thinking Rance and Jack Riewoldt are the greatest, and Geelong supporters doing much the same.

If anyone wants to try a little bit of crticial thinking in relation to their own team, I'm open for discussion.
For the last 30 years, I thought the only relevant question was "Is Wayne Carey the only player to come close to Gary Ablett senior's status as GOAT?"

Jan 31, 2007
In N Out
AFL Club
Carlton
Well why would you drag Ablett into the equation for kicking 0 goals when we Barely touched the ball in 1995?

LMAO “drag Ablett into the equation” for him personally kicking 0 goals? Seriously, wtf are you even talking about? If it’s not Ablett’s equation, then whose is it? :drunk: It’s certainly not a team result ... the team kicked 10+ that day.

Last edited:

AjsGuns

Club Legend
Nov 16, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chelsea.

Agreed, dumb thread. We all know Marcus Bontempelli is the greatest.

Jan 31, 2007
In N Out
AFL Club
Carlton

Carlton supporters thinking Sticks and SOS are the greatest in every way,

Sorry, need some quotes on the Sticks claims. Certainly underrated in these conversations about great forwards, but aside from the very odd outlier, I call bullshit and am putting it on you demonstrate this trend exists you claim.

SOS is another matter. Regarded by many neutral observers as the GOAT FB, his record on the players in question was outstanding. I’d be happy to discuss that objectively if you wanted.

For someone claiming to invite critical thought, I don’t see a lot in your post tbh. I mean I’ve seen but one Tiger poster claim Riewoldt belongs in this company and yet you’ve claimed a theme. Drop the pretension.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
Well why would you drag Ablett into the equation for kicking 0 goals when we Barely touched the ball in 1995?
Were you even paying attention to the poster this was replied to ?
Clearly you were not.
It was dragged up to highlight how stupid one of his comments was of Abeltt *significantly better".
Ablett was a sensational player to watch.It was brought to show the relative stupidity of that comment he made. That was obvious if you read those posts in context.

We been discussing absolute champion footballers here for most part. None of the ones brought up by us are significantly better than other champ players we were talking about but if someone is going to make a silly comment of significantly better where performance against the other shows the silliness of that, dragging up such a good example of why they are out of touch, I'm happy to do. But for god sake, do not confuse that to be saying Ablett was not a sensational player. I'm on record heaps of times of saying he is probably most talented player I ever seen.

Last edited:
Give me Carey over Ablett, I would rather the superstar centre half forward over the soft outside flanker
Ablett played against Tigers in 20 games for 118 goals. Nearly 6 goals a game .
That is certainly an unbeatable stat which I'm sure reflects his softness.

B4Bear

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 6, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
great OP, poignant timing with the recent retirement of his GOAT opposite number in Rance. Have to agree Plugger was the best FF.

Rance v Plugger would have been a sight to behold
Rance would have retired sooner if he had to play on Plugger.

His unaccountable defending would have seen him destroyed in Plugger's day.

Shows that he was a flat track bully who beat up on bottom 4 sides
However you justify it.
Show me the stats of any other KF over that era in comparison.
6 goals a game for 20 games is insane.
What it really shows is your bitterness in not accepting this marvellous feat.

Last edited:
May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
LMAO “drag Ablett into the equation” for him personally kicking 0 goals? Seriously, wtf are you even talking about? If it’s not Ablett’s equation, then whose is it? :drunk: It’s certainly not a team result ... the team kicked 10+ that day.

They kicked 3 goals to half time.

Exactly how much of the ball do you think was getting pumped forward cleanly when it was game on Hahahaha

But yeah bad game = terrible player

Jan 31, 2007
In N Out
AFL Club
Carlton
They kicked 3 goals to half time.

Exactly how much of the ball do you think was getting pumped forward cleanly when it was game on Hahahaha

But yeah bad game = terrible player

Ablett could've chipped in at any time, but this is just an irrelevant deflection from the obvious; which is your examples don't make a lick of sense. You criticised a player over an opposition scoreline that was actually the norm of the day. But rather than pull yourself up for a second, you just keep pumping out the bulldust - find one quote from me where I've suggested Ablett was a terrible player, or that one bad game means that. You're all at sea my friend.

Captain_Bender

Premiership Player
May 21, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Oh well they don’t count then.

Same as Carey’s 6 in the 94 Or 95 prelim that everyone wants to pull themselves over when the cats piled on 7-8 goals in a row.

Junk time Duck.
Yeah but in the 94 prelim North Melbourne weren't flogged for 3 quarters before kicking junk goals in the last after the game was over like Geelong in 89

Back