Tony Lockett was better than Wayne Carey or Ablett Snr

Remove this Banner Ad

Well yeah, except that high marking wasn't the only thing he did as good as anyone else, it was also the outrageous goals he kicked. Modra was probably the best at soccer goals the AFL has seen. You can tell he played soccer as a kid.

Still he is not in the same upper echelon as Carey, Ablett or Lockett

Well yeah, except that high marking wasn't the only thing he did as good as anyone else, it was also the outrageous goals he kicked. Modra was probably the best at soccer goals the AFL has seen. You can tell he played soccer as a kid.

The one thing I got from watching those highlights was his incredible pace off the mark. His first step was legendary. There wouldn't be a defender in the league today who could prevent that.
An incredible talent who was robbed of winning premierships due to knee issues.

Modra not in same tier. He is with Adrian McAdam, Allen Jakovich and Peter Bosustow that could thrill but did not do it long enough to really be at those greats levels.

With due respect to the other 3 who could obviously play and be spectacular, modra has 250 or so more goals than the other guys combined so his longevity was still decent

Controversial opinion I know, but as someone who grew up closely watching all three, and saw them live many times, I honestly think Plugger was the best of them all, and the best player I have seen in my lifetime following footy (since 1986)

Plugger had a more significant and profound and longer lasting legacy on the game (especially in a pioneer state in Sydney) and his all time goal scoring record will never be broken (least in my time)

Annoys me that Lockett is rarely discussed in the GOAT of the game status, in my opinion he is comfortably in the top 5, if not 3, of the VFL/AFL history.
Not controversial at all.

Only forward to ever win a Brownlow.
900 goals playing for a side that only made the finals twice in his twelve years there (ie - he played in a poor side).
127 goals after missing the first six games of 1991 through suspension. If he played every game he would've ended the year on 164 goals and broken Hudson's record.

He is a legend.

With due respect to the other 3 who could obviously play and be spectacular, modra has 250 or so more goals than the other guys combined so his longevity was still decent
Longevity not what I meant. I meant he did not play enough quality games to be in tier of the Ablett's etc. They all made thrilling impact though and he did that too.

Longevity not what I meant. I meant he did not play enough quality games to be in tier of the Ablett's etc. They all made thrilling impact though and he did that too.

I feel like if Modra had replicated what he did in 1993 for two or three more seasons, he would be in more discussions like these about the greatest forwards ever. He averaged nearly 6 goals a game that year. Not sure what happened - that was his first full AFL season and he never recaptured that form.

Modra not in same tier. He is with Adrian McAdam, Allen Jakovich and Peter Bosustow that could thrill but did not do it long enough to really be at those greats levels.

Thats a bit rough, Id put Modra in Daicos category. Godra's marking ability was on par with the Wiz's kicking ability: without equal. Ablett has Modra covered in almost every other aspect but Modra is the better mark. Come at me. Comparing him to Howe is nonsense on stilts.

Im still undecided on the better handballer: Williams or Cable. Most times I favour Cable, but jeez, Diesel had some vision...

Thats a bit rough, Id put Modra in Daicos category. . Comparing him to Howe is nonsense on stilts.
I never said anything about Howe so you might be confused with someone else's post.
I have Modra in same type of cetegory as Adrian McAdam, Allen Jaovich and Peter Bosustow. They were all highly entertaining footballers and yes, I agree with you adding Daicos too. Another good example of company he should be rated with for thrills.

Im still undecided on the better handballer: Williams or Cable. Most times I favour Cable, but jeez, Diesel had some vision...
Did not see enough of Cable to really know. He probably retired in first game I watched. Diesel probably best handballer in my time of watching but when look at grainy old black and white footage of Polly Farmer it looks amazing how far he hand balled. I suspect he is probably the best at that skill.

I never said anything about Howe so you might be confused with someone else's post.
I have Modra in same type of cetegory as Adrian McAdam, Allen Jaovich and Peter Bosustow. They were all highly entertaining footballers and yes, I agree with you adding Daicos too. Another good example of company he should be rated with for thrills.

The Howe was in reference to an earllier post that wasnt by you, just threw it in there as I didnt want to make two posts. Sorry for the confusion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I feel like if Modra had replicated what he did in 1993 for two or three more seasons, he would be in more discussions like these about the greatest forwards ever. He averaged nearly 6 goals a game that year. Not sure what happened - that was his first full AFL season and he never recaptured that form.
I do not recall what happened to him. I suspect he struggled with motivation and maybe did not get on with coach at times ?
But yeah, around 1993 he had some awesome games. Probably at his peak then.

Hmmm ... a 3 minute clip full of, no surprise here, mostly marks. And a few neat goals; say 3-4 of the soccer-type you've mentioned.

As evidence that Modra's highlight reel was as impressive as Ablett's, it's very underwhelming.

That was me. IMO Howe compares to Modra the way Modra compares to Ablett. Just a different class of player over their careers.

Only issue I have always had with Howe is that he gets a free run and jump and always has due to his playing position.
Very rarely has he had a defender guarding his space or impeding his jump at the footy.

Modra had to contend with it every single game and he still managed to get airborne quicker and higher than everyone else.

Only issue I have always had with Howe is that he gets a free run and jump and always has due to his playing position.
Very rarely has he had a defender guarding his space or impeding his jump at the footy.

Modra had to contend with it every single game and he still managed to get airborne quicker and higher than everyone else.

It's a fair point. Which is probably why Modra is a clear level or two above Howe, just as Ablett is above Modra.

Another high flying marvel who kicked the tonne with defenders hanging of him was Warwick Capper.

I was fortunate enough to see all 3 players as mentioned by the OP play live. I’m biased towards Wayne Carey but as a opposition supporter, Gary Ablett Snr was better than Plugger in my opinion. Gazza was awesome in the air or on the ground and he could turn a game Geelong’s way in no time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back