List Mgmt. Too late to rethink on Witts?

Remove this Banner Ad

Seriously no point trading him unless we get a 2nd rounder in return. 3rd round or later carries virtually no value nowadays.

This is my concern if he does in fact end up asking for a trade (and I hope markfs is right and that Witts is intent on staying). If he's not keen on the Bombers then things look a little rosier.

Bombers have Leuenberger though, don't they? He'd actually make for decent competition, I would have thought, whereas somewhere like Bulldogs, Port or Richmond he could go to as the starter.

He can go into the secondary draft where Essendon has first pick can't he? Is that what you mean?
No
If he delists himself he must go to the ND, if we delist him he can do either.

Re-think?
Move him now that he has some kind of currency.

A cheap fill in replacement would be a Zac Clarke from Freo as I'm pretty sure I read he is a free agent.

Gives us ruck depth and picks to get back into the draft or to allow for Daicos and Brown.

Bombers have Leuenberger though, don't they? He'd actually make for decent competition, I would have thought, whereas somewhere like Bulldogs, Port or Richmond he could go to as the starter.

True, 20 odd games at around 28 hit outs this year. Pretty rotten injury record so if I were them I'd be keen, but you make a good point about Witts leaving to become a more likely 1st choice.

Is the hand injury the only injury he has had whilst with the club?
No, he's had to undergo two shoulder reconstructions over the 2014/15 preseasons. This was his first full preseason for years, and he'd been rewarded with the starting ruck spot off the back of it. You know the rest :(

No, he's had to undergo two shoulder reconstructions over the 2014/15 preseasons. This was his first full preseason for years, and he'd been rewarded with the starting ruck spot off the back of it. You know the rest :(
Thanks, forgot about the shoulder.

Look you might be right. Difficult to judge given the amount of injuries he has had and trying to work out from the stats how many games he actually played forward.

However, I think it's very obvious Kreuzer has a lot more agility. He almost plays ruck like the old 'ruck rover'. Witts the the old style tap ruckman, who doesn't seem to be able to take strong marks around the ground. I'd love to keep him but he really is the only player we can give up and get something decent back.
I've seen Witts take far more contested grabs on a half back flank than I have Grundy.

He doesn't take a lot of grabs up forward, but he isn't bad at all down the ground.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Witts' departing message, a nice gesture.

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/2016-10-20/wittsy-says-goodbye

Jarrod Witts said:
After five years at the Holden Centre I would like to thank the Collingwood Football Club for giving me the opportunity to start my career as an AFL footballer.

It has been a tremendous journey across those five years and I would like to thank everyone who I crossed paths with in that time - from the volunteers, staff in administration, coaches and most importantly my teammates.

It has been a great experience and I will forever value the memories and mates I have made.

Finally to Collingwood faithful, I thank you for the support I have received over the years, it's greatly appreciated!

Thank you again, it has been a privilege to represent the club.

I'm now very excited to continue my career up on the Gold Coast playing for the Suns."

- Jarrod Witts

Respect to Witts for that message and for trying to fight for his career in 2016.

It seems I overrated him as I thought we would get a better return. :(

All the best Witts at the Gold Goast Suns. :thumbsu:
I thought we'd get a slightly better return too, but it was one of those years where picks were highly valued. Frost also posted an outgoing message, posted here, while these messages are only something small it shows class.

One of this year's more contentious topics has been Jarrod Witts and his future. We all know he was injured in game 1 (web between his fingers IIRC?), struggled to get back to full use of his hand, was eventually given a return game in the seniors and played poorly, and was then effectively dropped for the remainder of the season.

With Grundy having a fantastic year, we just haven't been able to find a place for both of them in the side. They are both number 1 ruckmen, and neither appears to play the resting forward/ruck role well enough. But have we exhausted this option?

VFL followers know that Witts, particularly in the second half of the VFL season, has been killing it. Absolutely dominating other VFL, and some AFL ruckmen. Should we have brought him back to the seniors and tried again, especially after Mason Cox tired and tailed off in form?

I am really concerned about letting Wittsy go, even for a high draft pick, which most seem convinced we wont get anyway. A middling second round pick for Jarrod would be highway robbery.

Couldn't agree more. Sadly, the decision was made midway through the season when they didn't give him any time to settle. I think we'll regret it.

to witts sorry to see you go, cannot blame you for staying and wanting to prove yourself last year,
did not work out. leaving with a classy act. all the best big fella

Sorry to see Witts go. We have put a lot of work in and haven't reaped the reward on field or in trade. I have no doubt we will regret this. Still plenty of development left in Witts, AFL standard now and enroute to be a significant key ruckman over next five years. All the best Wittsy.

Very dissapointing thought he was gonna be an absolute gun for us and was stoked when he made his debut.....think he'll have a long career...will be interesting when we play the suns....witts VS grundy wonder who will win!?

He didn't make it with us but that was more due to circumstance and bad luck than anything else.

He's a big old fashioned tap ruck who was taking the standard time for a ruck to develop. It was just that once Jolly fell over we had a kid in Brodie Grundy step into the breach and hold down the number 1 ruck probably 5 years before he should have. Then when Brodie began to stagnate Wittsy stepped up and looked to have cemented the number 1 spot he gets injured. Then Brodie steps in and puts in a second half of the season that was as good if not better than any ruckman in the league and that was all she wrote for Witts at Collingwood.

This is one guy I wish nothing but the best for. His exit has been class, his effort in the VFL top notch (no sulking about not getting a senior gig unlike some) and really he should look forward to a great career at the Suns. I'm sad to see him go but we have a genuine gun in Grundy, a high possession, extra mid whose tap work is coming on in leaps and bounds and I don't blame Jarrod one bit for seeking more opportunity elsewhere.

Feeling a bit foolish having re-read my OP. But yes a classy farewell from him, which sadly is uncommon these days.

I saw Wittsy in his first games back in 2011, when the club gave him a run in the twos. Was like a gangly giraffe. Hope it all works out for him.

I am really concerned about letting Wittsy go, even for a high draft pick, which most seem convinced we wont get anyway. A middling second round pick for Jarrod would be highway robbery.

First round? Second round pick? ...How about 2 late 3rd round picks?

Highway robbery? Bloody monash freeway in peak hour coming out of the city at 5pm robbery!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back