Roast Too many North blokes flying for marks at the same time......

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
...........then spoiling each other & allow the opposition to run away with possession and/or crumb easy goals.

It happens too often, and it's starting to seriously s**t me.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Under 15s stuff. Agree - yell at the TV screen stuff at my place.

It is a sign of commitment to the contest, but if, for example, B-Mac has position then there's no need for two other North players to fly & kill any chance of a mark, or the ball itself and allow 1-3 opposition players to sit at ground level and waltz away with the ball.

Walker & Ziebell are the main offenders, but they're not alone.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
If McKay, Walker, Goldy, Campbell & Larkey have good position, then there's no need to fly as well.

They may not take the grab, but how often are they outmarked?

I throw s**t around the room when two of them fly against a North bloke with good position.

I don't care if 10 go up, but one of them has to kill the ball. The problem we have is too many go up and have zero impact, leaving their seagull opponents waiting around for a spilled ball.

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I don't care if 10 go up, but one of them has to kill the ball. The problem we have is too many go up and have zero impact, leaving their seagull opponents waiting around for a spilled ball.

We also need someone to stay down. They all fly and then the opposition almost always has someone down and they just cruise off with the ball

Melbourne got at least two goals from this. Yes as much as it about teamwork and talk it shows commitment.
Jack Z still has the see ball get ball mentality.
There needs to be like when we were in the under 16’s and 18’s when someone would say your ball or they would say it was there’s. Simple but effective.
Also need to ensure someone is at the back of the pack to stop the easy off the pack goals

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Jack had a bit of a Jekyll & Hyde game yesterday. Overall, he was excellent. However, he arguably was directly responsible for the Demons scoring 5 goals (probably, a tad harsh).

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Agree with most of this except the 5 goals bit. 2 goals definitely.

It's just a temperament thing, and we shouldn't just focus on him because there's a few that do it, with Walker also being an offender.

I can cop it for a while whilst they gel and get to know each other better, but if it's still regularly happening in 2022, then it's just not acceptable.

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Any chance Jack can take an opposition player out - instead of his teammates.
Quite a few of out players go up when not needed - even saw atu go up in a pack.
Trust your teammate

There are lots of examples of this, not just flying for marks when they shouldn't be. Often it can be seen in defenders leaving their man to join a contest and then their opponent goals when the clearance comes. Have seen Hayden and Atu be guilty of that one this year. I would say it's a problem, but no a bad one. The guys are showing intent and desperation but thinking they need to be the ones to do it rather than trusting their teammates and the system. I would say it is also absolutely to be expected 7 weeks into a major rebuild and complete change of game plan. If it still a regular issue in round 7 next year I would be dissapointed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah - kill the ball instead of their team mate.

Mar 23, 2001
Forever Death riding *
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wildcats/Pacers/Chelsea/Scorchers
...........then spoiling each other & allow the opposition to run away with possession and/or crumb easy goals.

It happens too often, and it's starting to seriously sh*t me.
When Taz, Lmac and Corr come back in this wont be a problem Tef.

Those guys are natural defenders whereas JZ isnt.

R00StaR

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 3, 2003
Asgard
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
Melbourne got at least two goals from this. Yes as much as it about teamwork and talk it shows commitment.
Jack Z still has the see ball get ball mentality.
There needs to be like when we were in the under 16’s and 18’s when someone would say your ball or they would say it was there’s. Simple but effective.
Also need to ensure someone is at the back of the pack to stop the easy off the pack goals

Problem is they scored at least 2 goals from us allowing the ball out the back as well. I highly doubt any coach would be happy with only 1 up in defense, too risky imo.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Replace the words in thread title "for marks" with "to spoil" and the issue remains the same, it's basically dumb football.

No mate, they do it in our forward line too!!!!

There are lots of examples of this, not just flying for marks when they shouldn't be. Often it can be seen in defenders leaving their man to join a contest and then their opponent goals when the clearance comes. Have seen Hayden and Atu be guilty of that one this year. I would say it's a problem, but no a bad one. The guys are showing intent and desperation but thinking they need to be the ones to do it rather than trusting their teammates and the system. I would say it is also absolutely to be expected 7 weeks into a major rebuild and complete change of game plan. If it still a regular issue in round 7 next year I would be dissapointed.
Happens round packs too, tho, as Rick18 pointed out in his latest blog, we seemed to be avoiding that yesterday.

SammyRoo

Club Legend
Aug 15, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I asked one of the offending lads how this works a few years ago ...

as it was explained to me :

• On fast plays: The forwards spit into different leading patterns
• On slow plays: Any tall can go for the mark.. even at the same time.

There might be some nuances & adjustments in each case, but broadly team rules say generally they (talls) are ok to compete together on slow play.

That was when it was under Brad anyhow.

Dunno how backs organise it.

Aug 16, 2009
North Caulfield
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I’ve actually noticed this year how loud someone like Harris Andrews is......you can see him screaming “mine!”, or whatever, commanding the backline. Was mentioned by Pavlich, I think, just how quiet a team North were out there. Benny doesn’t look the type to boom out in a commanding tone, but he’s pretty much the general down there now, gotta start taking over.
JZ and Walker are as brave as they come in the air, BMac seems more quietly confident in his ability to read the ball and kill the contest. Hopefully something that’ll get better the more they play together.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back