Too many "white guys" talking about footy on TV?

Remove this Banner Ad

Women's football is of a very average standard. Not the standard you'd want to be investing millions of $ in unless it was to push a social agenda. As a financial investment it's a very poor one.
Who cares? The AFL is a not-for-profit organisation - their focus should be investing into development of the game. Investing into a national women's league is a wonderful idea.

I will stick to ripping off my toenails using my teeth if that girl not Caro Wilson (the other one) ever commentates again. horrendous commentary and who bloody cares, as long as they do a good job.

Who cares what the AFL will allow. GM is a thundercampaigner of the highest order.

Women's league will be nothing but a puppet league now. If you don't think there's some gender statement behind it then i'd suggest you're a bit wet behind the ears.

Women's football is of a very average standard. Not the standard you'd want to be investing millions of $ in unless it was to push a social agenda. As a financial investment it's a very poor one.
The women do not have a gender agenda, they just want a national league. The AFL is a different story, but even for them, it is the cream, not the cake. Quality is not high enough, agreed, but forming a national league is the quickest way to get there. Off topic anyway.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Being a white straight male is becoming hard in this political correctness world.

Think about it... We literally have the least rights.

Ehh, I feel like I don't really want to hear a female commentator while I'm watching a game TBH - then again I think I am just sick of hearing ANY commentator's voice during a game because they all suck, with the possible exception of Hudson.

If a female who is genuine in media presentation was to commentate it could be okay I suppose but reality is that she would be told to spit out the same drivel that the other "commentators" are in a pathetic attempt to make the game seem more exciting somehow. Screw it, let's just get rid of commentators altogether!! I'll call the games myself.

Interesting article by Jessica Halloran in the Daily Telegraph, who believes that there should be more diversity in the AFL media.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/re...v/news-story/9e5f15df5166fe29673c5838262eae41

Thoughts?

Why is it considered a problem when men (white or any colour) make up the majority of a panel on any forum or sport? Women dominate our screens during the day. Women dominate the talk show panels on these programs. Female reporters seems to outnumber the males on every channel. Females dominate the education system. Females dominate the netball scene. They dominate nursing and the fashion scene-most male models get a fraction of the attention and money females are given yet no-one brands this a scandal or form of oppression. There are never any cries from males to have these "fortresses" broken down and forced to include males for the sake of diversity.

Women have a habit of wanting to force their way into what were once male spaces whilst maintaining their right to have female only spaces whether it be on uni campuses, swimming pools, gyms, Girl Guides etc.... The Scout movement had to open its arms and include females yet the Girl Guides are still exclusively female. Girls are constantly wanting to play in boys only competitions yet boys are unable to play in girl only competitions.

I heard a discussion on SEN about the need for diversity on our footy shows yet not one caller could explain just what it is that a female presenter brings to the table that cannot or is not already being presented by a male (other than the fact that they are female.)

I am tired of this constant insinuation that there is something evil or oppressive about the fact that a sport invented by men and until recently played exclusively by men happens to have mostly males commenting on the game. Women have made inroads into many areas of the footy culture and will continue to do so, but to manufacture the numbers or have quotas is absurd.

As a side note, I thought Rebecca Maddern did a good job last week.

Last edited:
Why is it considered a problem when men (white or any colour) make up the majority of a panel on any forum or sport? Women dominate our screens during the day. Women dominate the talk show panels on these programs. Female reporters seems to outnumber the males on every channel. Females dominate the education system. Females dominate the netball scene. They dominate nursing and the fashion scene-most male models get a fraction of the attention and money females are given yet no-one brands this a scandal or form of oppression. There are never any cries from males to have these "fortresses" broken down and forced to include males for the sake of diversity.

Women have a habit of wanting to force their way into what were once male spaces whilst maintaining their right to have female only spaces whether it be on uni campuses, swimming pools, gyms, Girl Guides etc.... The Scout movement had to open its arms and include females yet the Girl Guides are still exclusively female. Girls are constantly wanting to play in boys only competitions yet boys are unable to play in girl only competitions.

I heard a discussion on SEN about the need for diversity on our footy shows yet not one caller could explain just what it is that a female presenter brings to the table that cannot or is not already being presented by a male (other than the fact that they are female.)

I am tired of this constant insinuation that there is something evil or oppressive about the fact that a sport invented by men and until recently played exclusively by men happens to have mostly males commenting on the game. Women have made inroads into many areas of the footy culture and will continue to do so, but to manufacture the numbers or have quotas is absurd.
Simple, same sort of commentators, same sort of backgrounds, same sorts of points of view, appeal to the same sorts of people. From just a commercial aspect, it is limiting. As someone else posted, the AFL has identified it had a problem with homogeneity, and is addressing it. Footy media just very late to the party.

Because as a customer I prefer to listen to male commentators when I listen to men's football. Pearce has done nothing to earn a role in the AFL's commentary roles so why give her a job? Just because of her gender?

She's the first name that came to mind. What's stopping a female working her way up the ranks the same way as Anthony Hudson, Tim Lane, Gerard Whateley, Hamish McLachlan, Clinton Grybas and countless other male commentators, whose actual playing experience is/was limited to some moderate standard local league footy at best?

I'll take this dingbat columnist a little more seriously when I see the opinion piece calling for the number of aboriginal players to be trimmed in line with their percentage of the population. If you want to talk about proper representation then you need to take it all the way.

I'd be delighted for a female commentator to take over from any of the current muppets like Darcy if they can do the job better. This would not prove difficult.

Demographic representation in footy commentary is not a problem that needs to be solved.

I have no objection, but the cries of foul when Kelli Underwood was calling were loud and clear, people didn't like the voice! I have no issue with a female show presenter, panelist, boundary rider or interviewer, but i'll draw the line on the actual commentary.

I wouldn't use Kelli Underwood as an example of all female commentators. Her bogan accent was horrific and her commentary sucked. Has to be looked at as a special case.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As opposed to Dunstall who was just following the script?
I have no idea what you and other Swans' supporters are on about. Is it because he thought GWS could mount a comeback against the mighty Swans? Most people seem to agree that Dunstall is one of the best. What would he possibly have against Sydney anyway?

Simple, same sort of commentators, same sort of backgrounds, same sorts of points of view, appeal to the same sorts of people. From just a commercial aspect, it is limiting. As someone else posted, the AFL has identified it had a problem with homogeneity, and is addressing it. Footy media just very late to the party.

Yeah-very limiting. The Footy Show has been rating well with a huge female following for over twenty years. The NRL shows and games are loaded up with females and that game rates dismally with females in comparison to the AFL. This requires an explanation.

As for the different backgrounds, points of view argument-I think it is the height of patronisation to suggest women want a "female" perspective on footy, whatever the hell that might be. Women who love Aussie Rules are as passionate about the same aspects of the game as the males. When I talk about the footy at work with my female colleagues they want to discuss the same issues as me-our teams performance, lack of heart, poor tactics or the performance of a gun player. To suggest otherwise is insinuating the girls would rather talk about the players hairstyles or love lives which I would find highly insulting if I were a female fan.

I have no idea what you and other Swans' supporters are on about. Is it because he thought GWS could mount a comeback against the mighty Swans? Most people seem to agree that Dunstall is one of the best. What would he possibly have against Sydney anyway?
Watch the replay.
Personally, I don't really care what Dunstall thinks but I find the way the media develops scripts for major games is a little boring. Feels very American to me.

Not enough I say!

But seriously, don't see why you need footy experience to tell viewers who is passing the ball around. No Brereton "back in my day if someone took a mark over me like that I'd pick them up and throw them into the goalpost" required.
You don't, but you need experience broadcasting and calling football.

What experienced females are there in the market? I don't know of any. Not only do you need appropriate candidates, but they still need to go up against others.

Authoritative leftists push diversity as an ideology. Diversity is paramount, except in political ideals.

Yeah-very limiting. The Footy Show has been rating well with a huge female following for over twenty years. The NRL shows and games are loaded up with females and that game rates dismally with females in comparison to the AFL. This requires an explanation.

As for the different backgrounds, points of view argument-I think it is the height of patronisation to suggest women want a "female" perspective on footy, whatever the hell that might be. Women who love Aussie Rules are as passionate about the same aspects of the game as the males. When I talk about the footy at work with my female colleagues they want to discuss the same issues as me-our teams performance, lack of heart, poor tactics or the performance of a gun player. To suggest otherwise is insinuating the girls would rather talk about the players hairstyles or love lives which I would find highly insulting if I were a female fan.
OMFG, do you read your posts. You seem to be suggesting that female commentators only point of difference would be a desire to discuss hairstyles and fashion. Your female colleagues wanting serious footy commentary would prefer male commentators discuss serious matters over a female commentator, who would obviously want to talk about trivialities? Really? Have you asked them? I would suggest you ask your female colleagues if they would prefer the current all male panels, or if they would like a women bought on so she could discuss hairstyles, and cuticles, and how well the boots are colour coordinated with the uniforms, but I would fear for your safety.

Has it occurred to you that if your female friends want serious footy commentary, that a female commentator would be interested in providing serious footy commentary?

Do you think it is possible that life experience informs commentary and opinion, and that a commentary panel with a women, would have a wider range of life experiences and a wider range of opinions than the standard middle aged white boys club.

Is it possible that including a women cuts down some of the unconsciously patronising s**t the all male panels come up with, and make it more likely that the women who currently do not watch, might just sit down and watch?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back