Suspended
Jun 26, 2008
Copenhagen/Newcastle
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
FC Kobenhavn
i want to see some "running rugby" instead of this crap we are seeing now

last bledislode game, i went to it in sydney and left at half time. there is way too much kicking being done in the modern rugby

when i got home i found out that there was 10 penalty goals and just one try!! that is ridiculous. shouldnt the focus be more on scoring then kicking

and in the final of the world cup in 2007, there was not one try scored. that is a joke isnt it? i couldnt stand that game it was awful.

if i wanted to see some kicking ill go watch aleague or socceroos

i also watched eels and parramatta in the other rugby, that was the entertainment i want to see every time i see a real rugby game. not this drop/penalty goal joke

there needs to be something done, i think there should be a change where a field goal is worth 2 and a penalty goal worth 2 as well.

what is everyones thoughts

Agreed- a mate of mine in England was telling me he is gearing up for their rugby season- I told him the recent play has turned me off the game- no response from him. Like the idea of changing point value- might also make the conversions a bit easier by narrowing the angle if the try is scored in the corner...course, some might say that is getting close to gridiron- but geez, watching the kick, kick, kick going around now is like watching ballet...not rugby

The game goes in cycles...at the moment South Africa are winning with their awesome kicking game backed up by their rush defence and powerful forwards and lineout dominance. Soon team's will figure out how to counter this and it will change - not long ago, under similar rules the Brumbies and Australia dominated with a game based around keeping possession. Test matches aren't always about running rugby - they're about turning pressure into points in whatever way you can and winning the contests. As I said in another thread rugby is a strategic game - if you want to see a less tactical game that has more off the cuff play and more tries etc than watch league! Sometimes rugby can be like that too (watch the Fiji vs Wales game from the last world cup!), but it's just a lot more variable and there's a lot of different ways teams can play. That's the real beauty of the sport!

Also while we'd all like to see more tries than penalty goals a great game doesn't necessarily have to have many or any tries! On the rugby club last night they showed highlights of our 1999 World cup semi final against South Africa where Larkham kicked that 45+ metre drop goal to win it. That game had no tries but was a great game. I thought last weekends bledisloe was a good game too - the intensity was great.

All that said I think a solution to decrease the amount of penalty goals is to take away the opportunity to kick a goal from penalties for technical offences - similar to the sanctions ELV but without taking away the chance to kick for touch and receive the lineout throw. Another good idea I heard on the radio recently was to make the goal posts narrower and thus a lot harder to kick goals! Goal kickers are just getting better and better, the balls get better and better - yet the paramaters for kickers have remained the same!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back