Health Tooth extraction?

Remove this Banner Ad

Seriously WTF? Is this a normal thing? Do they tell you they are going to dislocate your jaw before they knock you out? I'd rather not know that beforehand.

Is definitely a thing- was offered this when I was going to have my braces- it would have reduced the time I'd have to have braces from 15 or so months to something like 8 months. Yeah no thanks Jeff, I just went with the braces for 15 months.

Lucked out as my wisdoms came out real clean
Got knocked out for it tho....woke up in a diff room sitting in a comfy chair with a nurse asking if I was ok
Asked how did I get in here, she laughed and said I walked in with her helping.

Only prob I had was big mouthfuls of blood for about two hrs
Was years ago now

Yeah that first day with the bloody mouth was the worst.
I just tried to zone out an watched movies/played games while on painkillers :drunk:

Well that was different.

Like a meth head I had a sliver of tooth( ok maybe a 1/4) stubbornly clinging on. As it was a front tooth I really didn't want it out and a plate put in. I thought today was about exploring the tooth and options to come back later. X-ray taken. Seemed there was no nerve exposure.

''So lets start filling this.''
''Pardon?''
''Lie back and we will get too it. ''

No needle, just numbing gel. Puts a portable grinder into my mouth to cut the exposed decay back and to shape the tooth for the fill. Waiting waiting for the pain. Nope. Certainly an uncomfortable noise in my head. ( made me think of all those times I had used a grinder on metal or wood or stone. ) More grinding and conversation about travel plans. ( dentist and assistant) More sucking out of excess saliva. More work and then suddenly its '' ok sit up and have a look'' What? so soon.

45 minutes from sitting in the chair to getting out and I have a new front fill, looks great. Some numbness still and some underlying pain. I haven't dared to eat , I can afford to skip a few meals, and my nose is also numb.

I was part of the school dentist generation. They all must have taken dentistry advice from Little Shop of Horrors because it was a terrible experience which left phobias. When my kids had to go I let my wife take them as I couldn't even step in without getting the shakes. As I thought this morning was more consult I didn't get too concerned. But I will be going back for more work in a few months , and while I wont be running in the door I certainly wont have any fears. Just a positive experience and one I recommend. ( apart from the dislocations )

Well that was different.

Like a meth head I had a sliver of tooth( ok maybe a 1/4) stubbornly clinging on. As it was a front tooth I really didn't want it out and a plate put in. I thought today was about exploring the tooth and options to come back later. X-ray taken. Seemed there was no nerve exposure.

''So lets start filling this.''
''Pardon?''
''Lie back and we will get too it. ''

No needle, just numbing gel. Puts a portable grinder into my mouth to cut the exposed decay back and to shape the tooth for the fill. Waiting waiting for the pain. Nope. Certainly an uncomfortable noise in my head. ( made me think of all those times I had used a grinder on metal or wood or stone. ) More grinding and conversation about travel plans. ( dentist and assistant) More sucking out of excess saliva. More work and then suddenly its '' ok sit up and have a look'' What? so soon.

45 minutes from sitting in the chair to getting out and I have a new front fill, looks great. Some numbness still and some underlying pain. I haven't dared to eat , I can afford to skip a few meals, and my nose is also numb.

I was part of the school dentist generation. They all must have taken dentistry advice from Little Shop of Horrors because it was a terrible experience which left phobias. When my kids had to go I let my wife take them as I couldn't even step in without getting the shakes. As I thought this morning was more consult I didn't get too concerned. But I will be going back for more work in a few months , and while I wont be running in the door I certainly wont have any fears. Just a positive experience and one I recommend. ( apart from the dislocations )
I'm really happy you had a positive experience- I am a dentist and I can assure you we are not all bad creatures! Unfortunately it's all too common to see people who are entirely put off dentistry because of their experiences back at school, makes me wonder what they did back then.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back