Top 10 AC/DC Riffs - Rick Beato - What did he miss?

Remove this Banner Ad

I really love Rick but he gave himself a s**t of a job here. His criteria was 1) Iconic and 2) Fun to play. I think it might have been better to leave iconic off but I guess it helped limit things a bit? Probably the most notable exclusion was Thunderstruck and I'm not sure I agree with his reasons but that's lists for you I guess.

So what did he miss? For me, without even really thinking about it this morning and taking out the 'iconic' criterion to leave just the fun to play ones;

- Whole Lotta Rosie
- If You Want Blood
- Girl's Got Rhythm
- Sink the Pink
- Hard as a Rock

Clawed

Team Captain
Nov 6, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
Agree with number one. Its amazing live and the last song they play.

But riff raff at 9

That song made every concert they played it at. For those about to rock only pips it because of the spiritual nature of the song.

Notice he went nowhere near rhe blues roots of ACDC?

Ride on up there
Rocker
Aint no fun waitin round to be a millionaire

deanc

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
Waverley
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tasmania
182,000 people at River Plate also thought this was quite a good riff...? Iconic, well they toured for many years using this track as their opening theme...

Last edited:
May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
I love AC/DC and I love that Poppa Rick loves them too - they’re the only Aussie band I’ve ever heard him mention I think. I love that someone as entitled to be a music snob as he is, can get the unadulterated joy from listening to a straight up and down blues rock band like AC/DC as a pleb like me.

I guess it’s never going to make a list like this because it is so generic and basic but The Jack is among my favourites

mr bagcroft

Norm Smith Medallist
May 19, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
I really love Rick but he gave himself a sh*t of a job here. His criteria was 1) Iconic and 2) Fun to play. I think it might have been better to leave iconic off but I guess it helped limit things a bit? Probably the most notable exclusion was Thunderstruck and I'm not
Thunderstruck, the main motif, is a lick. Not a riff. Strictly speaking IMO, I think that might be why he left it out.

Thunderstruck, the main motif, is a lick. Not a riff. Strictly speaking IMO, I think that might be why he left it out.
Yeah good call.

He should do another top 10! 😛

Osho

We haven't changed our position.
Jul 9, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
I love AC/DC and I love that Poppa Rick loves them too - they’re the only Aussie band I’ve ever heard him mention I think. I love that someone as entitled to be a music snob as he is, can get the unadulterated joy from listening to a straight up and down blues rock band like AC/DC as a pleb like me.

I guess it’s never going to make a list like this because it is so generic and basic but The Jack is among my favourites
I adore both Jack and BigBalls for their humour and wit, and in the case of the latter, it makes me feel like a pimply sfellowing 15 yo again.

Osho

Jul 9, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
Overdose guitar is epic …just driving hard rock…would’ve been great live in pubs back in the day
Yep, happy to hear someone else likes that track. In my contrarian view to mainstream ACDC opinion, I think the epitome of ACDC was the Let There Be Rock album, it was dirty, smelly, smoky, hard, and generally a spectacular example of hard rock. The sibling live album, If You Want Blood, didn't have the best live song selections, but nevertheless, is a primeval experience of Dionysian rock debauchery. The 2 albums prior and the one follwing LTBR are also seminal albums. I started to lose interest with the Highway to Hell album, over produced, commercial and they ruined Bon's voice. They sold their soul for riches. Fair enough. I would've done the same.

Yep, happy to hear someone else likes that track. In my contrarian view to mainstream ACDC opinion, I think the epitome of ACDC was the Let There Be Rock album, it was dirty, smelly, smoky, hard, and generally a spectacular example of hard rock. The sibling live album, If You Want Blood, didn't have the best live song selections, but nevertheless, is a primeval experience of Dionysian rock debauchery. The 2 albums prior and the one follwing LTBR are also seminal albums. I started to lose interest with the Highway to Hell album, over produced, commercial and they ruined Bon's voice. They sold their soul for riches. Fair enough. I would've done the same.

My sentiments exactly!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree with most of that, but I’m a big fan of HTH. Some terrific tracks. Touch Too Much is another underrated track that guitar burn just before second verse and the whole last two mins culminating in Angus’ brilliant solo to end the song. Shot Down in Flames, If You Want Blood (?) and Night Prowler.

Osho

Jul 9, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
Agree with most of that, but I’m a big fan of HTH. Some terrific tracks. Touch Too Much is another underrated track that guitar burn just before second verse and the whole last two mins culminating in Angus’ brilliant solo to end the song. Shot Down in Flames, If You Want Blood (?) and Night Prowler.
Fair enough. It was and still is a very popular album.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back