Discussion Top 10 favourite fighters?

Remove this Banner Ad

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Top 10 MMA fighters. Can be past or present.

And for the select few that do like Boxing, same thing.

In no order

Nate Diaz
Khabib
Conor mcGregor
Max Holloway
TJ Dillashaw
Cody Garbrandt
Alexander Gustafsson
GSP
Adesanya
Kelvin Gastelum

Mike Tyson
Marvin Hagler
Floyd Mayweather Jnr
Rocky Marciano
Kostya Tszyu
Muhammad Ali
Roy Jones Jnr
Sugar Ray Leonard
Tyson Fury
Vasyl Lomachenko

Last edited:

Mike Tyson
Marvin Hagler
Floyd Mayweather Jnr
Rocky Marciano
Kostya Tszyu
Muhammad Ali
Roy Jones Jnr
Sugar Ray Leonard
Tyson Fury
Vasyl Lomachenko

Awesome list

Mayweather
Kostya
Lomachenko
De La Hoya
Calzaghe
Golovkin
Tyson Eubank Jnr
Hopkins
Sugar Shane Mosely
Aaron Pryor

Have not watched MMA long enough to have such a list. First I even remember of even taking notice of sport was a decade ago on trip overseas, some friends hanging out with had a mate and he was into UFC so much he was training to get into it as a sport. I just remember he was really passionate about it but as not on our tv, never really gave it much thought after that until saw Rhonda Rousey on some footy telecasts and realised the sport was starting to become so much bigger into mainstream almost. Still did not take much notice apart from heard on news she got smashed at Docklands a few years back. Still not enough on my radar to actually watch anything but highlights. I think it about 12 months ago I randomly come across some sport doco on SBS whilst flicking stations. At time really did not know much about Connor McGregor but he was both funny and interesting in way he mouthed off so kept watching whatever was on that night for an hour or so. I think it was some series that had episodes. I got no idea of how many on before this. Must have been late night marathon session on SBS for some reason. But was impressed he could talk some funny s**t, actually get under skin of opponents but also had real confidence about him. Never heard so much s**t spoken where the person almost believed their own s**t since Ali, Stevie J and Mr. Modesty himself, Peter Bosustow...lol

As such I was very entertained but also impressed he actually beat champions he fought unlike the young knob about 5 or 6 weeks back speaking s**t to Cowboy at press conference and could not back up any of the big talk in Octagon.

Since I got Kayo been watching quite a lot of UFC, not just the main fights but also found plenty of fights before main ones can be entertaining. Far more entertaining than most boxing fights I seen. Before had Kayo was able to see most of the pre-fights to Khabib v McGregor by some dodgy means and loved the fights with heavyweight Derrick Smith and then the bloodbath Tony Ferguson fight before Khabib v McGregor was super to watch. Watched heaps since then so virtually follow it way more closely than 4 months back. First fight card seen on Kayo was one in Adelaide. Crute impressed me as first fight but did not know he an Aussie from Bendigo in my own state until after that fight. McGregor, Derrick Smith, Crute and others now got me fully interested. After football and cricket it has probably replaced Tennis as next sport I watch.

But my knowledge of past eras of MMA is limited as a result to have a top ten favourite fighters.

So I will combine Boxing and UFC together to make a list.

No 1 is more actor but martial artist legend.-- Bruce Lee
No 2 is total actor but made a great movie boxing character - Rocky Balboa
No. 3 is the legend of Boxing himself and The Greatest he called himself with such aura-- ALI!!!! I reckon saw his last fight on tv as a kid at primary school of all places. That's how big he was. The teachers had it on for us to watch...lol
No. 4 Conor McGregor- anyone that can come even close to speaking as much s**t as ALI did with similar confidence and get me interested in a new sport is only behind those other true legends.
No. 5 Mike Tyson- what a brute and uppercut
No. 6 Jeff Fenech - at his best was actually good to watch for someone only watch boxing from time to time.
No. 7 Sugar Ray Leonard
No. 8 Apollo Creed....lol.. the fights with Rocky Balboa were great cinema as a kid to see. Rocky 3 my first Rocky movie at cinema.
No. 9 Clubber Lang....lol good movie villain back then
No. 10 Jimmy Crute-- Just because he is a Vic and someone for me to follow from here in sport just starting to take a lot more notice of

Honourable mention to Hulk Hogan.. WWE is s**t but as a little kid it was on tv and was funny to watch some of it with characters like Hulk Hogan and Killer Bees.

Last edited:
Awesome list

Mayweather
Kostya
Lomachenko
De La Hoya
Calzaghe
Golovkin
Tyson Eubank Jnr
Hopkins
Sugar Shane Mosely
Aaron Pryor
Tyson Eubank Jnr cool macpotata:rolleyes:

meant to be Mike Tyson
Eubank Jnr

got 11 on my list;)

In no particular order & only using fighters that haven't retired;

Miocic
Mcgregor
Garbrandt
Ortega
Whittaker
Cerrone
Holloway
Wonderboy
Till
Rose Namajunas

in order:
1. Tony Ferguson
2. Fedor - GOAT
3. Cowboy
4. Khabib
5. Stylebender
6. V. Shevchenko
7. GSP
8. Garbrandt
9. Forrest Griffin
10. Diego Sanchez

Count Down

10. Clubber Lang
9. Ivan Drago
8. Frank Dux
7. Andre the Giant
6. Kurt Sloan( Kickboxer )
5. Tong Po
6. David Sloan ( how could you not like Cody from Step by Step )
5. Apollo Creed
4. Daniel LaRuso ( dweeb )
3. Mike '' Bad Boy '' Barnes
2. Ivan '' The Russian '' Krashinski
1. Rocky Balboa

Honourable mentions

Thunder Heart
Tommy Gunn
Johnny Lawrence ( how could you not love that Red Jacket and bandanna )
Dutchy ( Crazed Bleached headed campaigner from Karate Kid )

Just saw my top 10 is indeed a top 12. Give me a boooddddyyyy baaaaaaag.

Max Holloway
Tyson Fury
Deontay Wilder
Robert Whittaker
Canelo Alvarez
Daniel Cormier
Alexander Gustafson
Demetrious Johnson
Amanda Nunes
Valentina Shevchenko

I was going to make a seperate list for boxers but I don’t watch a heap of it so just added a few that I really like

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ricardo arona
max holloway
vitor belfort (when he was really young and juiced out of his mind)
BJ penn
frank shamrock
phil baroni (loved his over the top WWE personality and he had some of the best UFC knockouts)
GSP
chris weidman (for ending silva's winning run and snapping his f*cking leg)
deontay wilder
khabib (for destroying that POS mcgregor)

Can you include Kickboxing/Muay Thai?

Giorgio Petrosyan
Samart Payakaroon
Buakaw Banchamek
Jon Jones
Jose Aldo
GSP
Stephen Thompson
Anthony Pettis
Israel Adesanya
Zabit Magomedsharipov

Remove this Banner Ad