5. Scarlett
6. Chappy
7. Ronnie burns
8. Selwood
9. Max rooke
10. Riccardi

unlucky: John Barnes, hocking, enright, varcoe, Corey, Stewart

Fair enough.
Yes, I did appreciate his contributions to our team; he was predictable, durable, and never injured, hence reliable, and I liked his gawkiness. Always hoped he would suddenly evolve into a super player like his dad did, who really only had 2 excellent seasons.
Fwiw, Mark did go onto dominate several comps after his time with us, and I just don't think any of our premiership players deserrve the derision you are offering.
I just think he took the spot of somebody that could have contributed a lot more. I’m not just being a keyboard warrior!! I really had an issue with it at the time. I don’t believe he was worthy of being in ANY team much less the best one going round. Did he ever take a contested mark? Did he ever take an uncontested mark. Or lay a tackle or bump? And what he did after AFL footy is irrelevant to the conversation. (Westy just proved that) I hear his a cop now.. I hope hes finally prepared to chase now.
Agree to disagree I guess

I just think he took the spot of somebody that could have contributed a lot more. I’m not just being a keyboard warrior!! I really had an issue with it at the time. I don’t believe he was worthy of being in ANY team much less the best one going round. Did he ever take a contested mark? Did he ever take an uncontested mark. Or lay a tackle or bump? And what he did after AFL footy is irrelevant to the conversation. (Westy just proved that) I hear his a cop now.. I hope hes finally prepared to chase now.
Agree to disagree I guess
Do you recall Saints were hovering, and were really keen to get him after he missed the 07 GF? GFC thought he had potential enough to offload veteran King, rather than Blake, which I thought was spot-on.
Any player who played nearly all games would have been upset to miss the 07 GF. He also missed the VFL 07 GF, the year we won both flags. I agree he petered out at the end of that season, young player, but he was more than serviceable during our era. I spoke to a former player about Blakey when we were at a work function(Pods), and he said that our mid players liked his ruckwork, and although he was limited cf Ottens, he was more value than you are intimating.
Not many players that are complete duds are able to score 2 Brownlow votes in a season, which he did in 07, and with Ottens missing so many games, Blake held his own. His 08 and 09 seasons were good enough for him to have played in 2 GF's. We had other options, as you unhappily recall. There were many games where West hardly got a stat, and Mumford definitely lost his fizzle at the end of 09.
Mummy, West, and Blake all have premiership medals, and Ottens has 3. That's about right.
In 06, he was ranked #1 rising star for total hitouts and hitouts per game.
He had 20 possessions in games at least once, amassed 30+ hitouts in a game, and in his best game took 9 marks. Again, not possible if he was a total dud.

Last edited:

Do you recall Saints were hovering, and were really keen to get him after he missed the 07 GF? GFC thought he had potential enough to offload veteran King, rather than Blake, which I thought was spot-on.
Any player who played nearly all games would have been upset to miss the 07 GF. He also missed the VFL 07 GF, the year we won both flags, as he was ineligible, having played so many senior games. I agree he petered out at the end of that season, young player, but he was more than serviceable during our era. I spoke to a former player about Blakey when we were at a work function(Pods), and he said that our mid players liked his ruckwork, and although he was limited cf Ottens, he was more value than you are intimating.
Not many players that are complete duds are able to score 2 Brownlow votes in a season, which he did in 07, and with Ottens missing so many games, Blake held his own. His 08 and 09 seasons were good enough for him to have played in 2 GF's. We had other options, as you unhappily recall. There were many games where West hardly got a stat, and Mumford definitely lost his fizzle at the end of 09.
Mummy, West, and Blake all have premiership medals, and Ottens has 3. That's about right.
Few mistakes there. Blake missed out on thé vfl grand final cos it was played during the prelim week. Not because he was ineligible. Ottens did not miss many games in 07. he only missed 2.

Few mistakes there. Blake missed out on thé vfl grand final cos it was played during the prelim week. Not because he was ineligible. Ottens did not miss many games in 07. he only missed 2.
King played in both, how do you explain that?

Yeah, but they were not well liked due to failing to live up to expectations.

Some crackers in there. Arnott was handy. Handley was a toiler but battled manfully. Gamble was a big talent that went nowhere. Bizzell was amazing- I remember seeing a game at docklands where took mark of the year nearly three times in a quarter.
Never figured out what happened with bizzell. He played some games/halves where he looked like a superstar of the competition. I remember he tore the all dominant 2000 bombers teams apart kicking 6 goals in a struggling side. Did it to them thé next season as well. Forced to play full foward despite being much better suited to a third foward roll Which he never got to play. I wonder what he could of been in a good side where he wasn’t forced to play out of position.

King played in both, how do you explain that?
Cos the vfl grand final was during the afl prelim final week. King played in the vfl prelim final week and then the next week he played in the afl grand final. Blake played afl when the vfl grand Final was played.

Cos the vfl grand final was during the afl prelim final week. King played in the vfl prelim final week and then the next week he played in the afl grand final. Blake played afl when the vfl grand Final was played.
True, it was unfortunate he missed out on both, and you are correct, he played the prelim on tHe Friday v Pies, and the next day, or Sunday, can't recall, King played the GF. My error. I have corrected my post.

Any player who played nearly all games would have been upset to miss the 07 GF. He also missed the VFL 07 GF, the year we won both flags, as he was ineligible, having played so many senior games. I agree he petered out at the end of that season, young player, but he was more than serviceable during our era. I spoke to a former player about Blakey when we were at a work function(Pods), and he said that our mid players liked his ruckwork, and although he was limited cf Ottens, he was more value than you are intimating.
He had 20 possessions in games at least once, amassed 30+ hitouts in a game, and in his best game took 9 marks. Again, not possible if he was a total dud.
Your right about the Brownlow votes. It might not seem like much to most but for a tap ruckman to get 2 Brownlow votes at all is preety good.
And to get them in one season where the competition for votes was insane is a very good effort.

True, it was unfortunate he missed out on both, and you are correct, he played the prelim on tHe Friday v Pies, and the next day, or Sunday, can't recall, King played the GF. My error. I have corrected my post.

No sympathy from me, he almost cost us getting to the 07 GF. When he was on the ground it was an 8 goal swing (we were +4 with Ottens on the field, -4 with Blake).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No sympathy from me, he almost cost us getting to the 07 GF. When he was on the ground it was an 8 goal swing (we were +4 with Ottens on the field, -4 with Blake).
His worst game. Cost him the GF spot.

Any player who played nearly all games would have been upset to miss the 07 GF. He also missed the VFL 07 GF, the year we won both flags. I agree he petered out at the end of that season, young player, but he was more than serviceable during our era. I spoke to a former player about Blakey when we were at a work function(Pods), and he said that our mid players liked his ruckwork, and although he was limited cf Ottens, he was more value than you are intimating.
What a load of s**t.. rolling off those unimpressive stats does about as much for your argument.. as talking about his football in the lower leagues. I don’t know why do you think those are stats that favour your argument.. everything you listed is s**t..
Never once did I criticise his tap work..
But I think that’s a really overrated star..
And not the basis for a whole career.
How many beanpole Ruckman better than him got dumped because they couldn’t do anything other than dinosaur tap work.
I’m not doubting he wouldn’t have been a good Ruckman once. But he would’ve been more limited than Justin Madden.
You look at what the better half of the legs Ruckmans Bring to their team.. what they brought to their team during his era.
Compare those stats to all the Ruckman that played during those 99 games.
You keep making my argument for me.
Doesn’t matter who came calling after 2007.. everybody came crawling for the whole team after 2007 they were in the middle of the clubs biggest hot streak in history!! 2 Brownlow votes in a position where there is only one or two opposition players in your position? The man with first access to the ball during the hottest streak of the hottest team? Have you ever seen a footballer refused to kick for as long as he did? Come on bro this is getting a bit ridiculous now. You want to keep digging your heels in fine. But you’re gonna need to make a better argument and that. Mumford at that time was nowhere near a player that he would turn out to be..He wasn’t that far away from the fat sausage eating guy he was when arriving at the club, but he showed a hell of a lot more in his one or two games for Geelong then Blake ever showed in 99.
Hell i’m not even complaining we got Mitch Duncan out of it. But to say holding onto Blake over Mummy or king... it’s just a nonsense bro.. Stephen King when I’m to play in Saint Kilda’s grand final side.
And even today GWS can’t win a game without big mummy. I said “agree to disagree” so you could quit while you were behind.

What a load of sh*t.. rolling off those unimpressive stats does about as much for your argument.. as talking about his football in the lower leagues. I don’t know why do you think those are stats that favour your argument.. everything you listed is sh*t..
Never once did I criticise his tap work..
But I think that’s a really overrated star..
And not the basis for a whole career.
How many beanpole Ruckman better than him got dumped because they couldn’t do anything other than dinosaur tap work.
I’m not doubting he wouldn’t have been a good Ruckman once. But he would’ve been more limited than Justin Madden.
You look at what the better half of the legs Ruckmans Bring to their team.. what they brought to their team during his era.
Compare those stats to all the Ruckman that played during those 99 games.
You keep making my argument for me.
Doesn’t matter who came calling after 2007.. everybody came crawling for the whole team after 2007 they were in the middle of the clubs biggest hot streak in history!! 2 Brownlow votes in a position where there is only one or two opposition players in your position? The man with first access to the ball during the hottest streak of the hottest team? Have you ever seen a footballer refused to kick for as long as he did? Come on bro this is getting a bit ridiculous now. You want to keep digging your heels in fine. But you’re gonna need to make a better argument and that. Mumford at that time was nowhere near a player that he would turn out to be..He wasn’t that far away from the fat sausage eating guy he was when arriving at the club, but he showed a hell of a lot more in his one or two games for Geelong then Blake ever showed in 99.
Hell i’m not even complaining we got Mitch Duncan out of it. But to say holding onto Blake over Mummy or king... it’s just a nonsense bro.. Stephen King when I’m to play in Saint Kilda’s grand final side.
And even today GWS can’t win a game without big mummy. I said “agree to disagree” so you could quit while you were behind.
You believe what you believe, fine, so do I.
He did not refuse to kick- our game plan and instructions to him were to get the ball onto our brilliant mids asap. King played in the 09 GF, and watched Blakey receive a premiership medallion. Nice.

Last edited:
Did he ever take a contested mark? Did he ever take an uncontested mark.

Well he took two hundred and sixty five, so unless there's a third category I guess the answer to your question is yes.

He did not refuse to kick- our game plan and instructions to him were to get the ball onto our brilliant mids asap. King played in the 09 GF, and watched Blakey receive a premiership medallion. Nice.

Give it up Dubs, can't you tell when you're being wound up.

1. Gary Ablett Snr
2. Paul Chapman
3. Barry Stoneham
4. Garry Hocking
5. Gary Ablett Jnr
6. Joel Selwood
7. Cameron Mooney
8. Jimmy Bartel
9. Cameron Ling
10. Matthew Scarlett

A few have opted for Prez Lindner but even though he played good footy for Geelong I reckon his 1983 season at West Adelaide was peak Bruce. Bloody good side that year the Bloods.

Well he took two hundred and sixty five, so unless there's a third category I guess the answer to your question is yes.

Give it up Dubs, can't you tell when you're being wound up.
It's ok, I appreciate the opportunity

Yeah.. real nice. Dumping our ex-captain who carried us through a lean Era And broke his body doing it (when he was still good enough to be the Ruckman in the second best side) What a dogs act by us.
It had nothing to do with Mark Blakes ability.
One was at the beginning of their career one was at the end.
but there you go again making my argument for me. We dumped the Ruckman that the minor premiers picked up,, after captaining us. That’s how good he still was!!
You must be the only Geelong supporter ive ever spoken to that looks at that as a good move..
I don’t know why you keep putting these points across like there a point in your column.. there not!! you keep making my argument for me!! It’s ridiculous..
You’re like a defence lawyer accidentally arguing your client did it

Yeah.. real nice. Dumping our ex-captain who carried us through a lean Era And broke his body doing it (when he was still good enough to be the Ruckman in the second best side) What a dogs act by us.
It had nothing to do with Mark Blakes ability.
One was at the beginning of their career one was at the end.
but there you go again making my argument for me. We dumped the Ruckman that the minor premiers picked up,, after captaining us. That’s how good he still was!!
You must be the only Geelong supporter ive ever spoken to that looks at that as a good move..
I don’t know why you keep putting these points across like there a point in your column.. there not!! you keep making my argument for me!! It’s ridiculous..
You’re like a defence lawyer accidentally arguing your client did it
Except this is not a court case, just 2 different opinions, and we are both correct.
But I am more correct.

Plugger won one in the 80's. Think Quinlan won his in the 80's.
Not sure what position Glendinning played but not sure he was a mid?
Templeton and Moore were KP players I believe.
Seems like a 50/50 split.

Quinlan had almost two careers. Started as a ruck rover with Footscray (before my time), then evolved into a key forward at Fitzroy.
Glendinning was a CHB to my memory.
Peter Moore was a ruckman.

Templeton is probably my favourite non-Geelong Brownlow winner. Did all the things that would make it utterly impossible now - his team finished last and he played centre half forward that year. Kicked 75 goals. He's one of those players who if not for changing clubs and a knee injury should have been an all time great.

The irony is the season plugger won it wasn’t even in his 4 best seasons. Only averaged 5.3 goals a game the season he won it. One year plugger averaged 7.5 goals a game from 17 games. Just like ablett in 93. in his last 4 games plugger kicked 43 goals That year. Only 16 Brownlow votes. He had 6 games that season where he kicked 10 goals.

Lockett and Ablett both had incredibly high standards applied to them. They could kick 8 goals and the summary would be "well they were ok".

Remove this Banner Ad

Back