8. B.Hall
10. E.Betts

Jun 9, 2007
un
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
Interesting. Did not have Quinlan in my top ten.

Ironically, unlike Bartlett, I still saw him as a big bodied midfielder for well over half the time I watched his career and only in last few did I see him positioned as a full forward. I think he won his Brownlow as a midfielder.
Wow, that list is very close to mine. You have exceptional taste in footballers.

I have footy memories back to around 1979. I mostly remember Quinlan as a forward who was mobile and very capable around the ground. His Brownlow year was less a stay-at-home forward but he was still utilised as a forward a lot. He kicked 73 goals that year. From 1983 he was more of a target forward. In many ways he was dangerous up the ground in a similar way to what Franklin is albeit far less explosive but with a much more reliable kick. He is definitely a forward in my mind.

I'll also add that T Daniher should be mentioned in this thread. He was a wonderful, dependable forward but just off the pace of those I've mentioned. As a player he was better than your Fevs, Modras, Betts etc without being as prolific in goalkicking. A forward's impact is not always in the number of goals kicked or spectacular highlights.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
Wow, that list is very close to mine. You have exceptional taste in footballers.

I have footy memories back to around 1979. I mostly remember Quinlan as a forward who was mobile and very capable around the ground. His Brownlow year was less a stay-at-home forward but he was still utilised as a forward a lot. He kicked 73 goals that year.
I still think despite that 73 goals in his Brownlow year most were from up the ground. He was not called Superboot for nothing. Plus him kicking a goal from midfield at Junction Oval not that hard for him.
As you can see on first video I clicked on via youtube for 1981 just then, I see him in the centre bounce.

tigerT

Premiership Player
Mar 16, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
Ablett
Carey
Lockett
Dunstall
Modra
Franklin
Richo
N.Reiwoldt
Farmer
Jackovich

Some people might say Farmer and Jakovich wtf, but those two packed some serious heat when on and their best gets them into my top 10. Farmer was one of the freakiest fwd pockets Ive ever seen, betts on roids. Jacko only showed his best for a shortish period but gees he could do things few others could

pressurepoint

Senior List
Dec 24, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
1. Ablett Snr
2. Lockett
3. Carey
4. Franklin
5. Kernahan
6. Dunstall
7. Richardson
8. Pavlich
9. Fevola
10. Modra

Jun 9, 2007
un
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
I still think despite that 73 goals in his Brownlow year most were from up the ground. He was not called Superboot for nothing. Plus him kicking a goal from midfield at Junction Oval not that hard for him.
As you can see on first video I clicked on via youtube for 1981 just then, I see him in the centre bounce.

Yeah he was an outstanding ruck rover but he was definitely being used more as a forward by that year. At any rate, his ability to control the game in the forward half sees him right up there for me. Wish there were more Roy supporters around to describe him. He's in the best 15 players I have seen. I made a thread about my top 100 players seen a few years back and keep it updated. Check it out.
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/top-100-players-since-1980.1042878/#post-31100143

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Royce Hafey

Premiership Player
Mar 6, 2013
Point Cook
AFL Club
Richmond
He was dropped for not chasing a ball.

On many occasions he just gave up chasing & turned his back on the play.

If that's not a lazy footballer I don't what you'd consider "lazy".

Richo was one of most naturally talented footballers to play the game. Unfortunately he was one of the dumbest too. It's a joke to even consider him in the best 10 of his era let alone longer than that.
He was dropped once and it wasn't for that. It was when he hand passed to a young player (Rodan) in the goal square. Rodan dropped it and Richo lost his nut. It was body language - not laziness. Richo bled yellow and black and gave his all. My greatest regret is that I was in Sydney the day he kicked 7 in the pouring rain (we beat Sydney - it was 2005 or 2006). 7 out of 10 total goals for Richmond in a low scoring game played in a virtual hurricane.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Lockett never got stkilda/Sydney a flag... carey was owned by caven in 98... ablett was non existent in 94... sure bring up Sumichs point though.

Sumich was worthy of carrying their bags. Nothing more. He is not in this conversation.
Good player for sure but please, get a grip of context of this overall discussion.

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Depends when you started watching. If you like me and started from 1978, I only known KB as a forward so in a thread titled "top 10 forwards you've seen" he is absolutely in this discussion for me. Similarly Lethal Leigh.
Never seen such dangerous small forwards in rest of time I been watching. Maybe Daicos close and Adrian McAdam for a short burst but they were genuinely the most damaging players those teams had in late 70's and early 80's for Tigers and Hawks.

Definitely a pure rover when he finished 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th in Brownlows. Resented being sent to 'starvation corner' as it was called and believed the club was trying to push him into retirement.

NB On Daicos... his numbers suggest he spent a lot more time in the midfield than I've credited him for, so am happy to stand corrected on the "permanent forward" claim.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Definitely a pure rover when he finished 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th in Brownlows. Resented being sent to 'starvation corner' as it was called and believed the club was trying to push him into retirement.
No doubt he was a rover well before I started watching but he is in top 10 forwards I've seen for sure. Never saw his rover years. Before my time.

Trav 20

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Idiots get ignored
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Dees
Not in order and apologies to Hudson and Hart, who I did see, but was too young to really appreciate. Hudson ended up with the ball and you were left scratching your head how. He wasn't athletic, but he and his large posterior worked magic.

Lockett
Dunstall
Senior
Carey
Franklin
Lloyd
Daicos
Brereton
Kernahan
Riewoldt

Marcus DuQuesne

Cancelled
Aug 4, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
This is tougher than I thought as as we all know the game has changed. No order but my ten is based on excitement ability to mark and Kick. All my guys are big power forwards and not Daicos Betts Milne Matthews and Bartlett types who I also rate very highly.

Doug Wade he was a beast..great mark great kick and tough
Peter Hudson goal sneak accurate kick and strong.
Alex Jesaulenko Great mark good kick and opportunist. Except For GAblett best player all time.
Tony Lockett Strong Tough Accurate did I mention strong and tough.
Gary Ablett Excitement machine kick from 50 both feet Tough. Great Mark BOAT
Tony Modra exciting forward had a good leap and good kick.
Peter Mc Kenna Great lead accurate kick. Collingwood star.
Jason Dunstall Great Lead accurate kick..strong, others better but weight of goals counts for something.
Fevola Carey Kernahan all very good forwards. Fevola could have been higher but well u know...great kick.
There is 11 there but at this stage the modern forwards don't quite cut it for me...LLoyd was a very good old fashioned forward.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Sumich was worthy of carrying their bags. Nothing more. He is not in this conversation.
Good player for sure but please, get a grip of context of this overall discussion.

His point was valid.
You chose one game out of his 19 finals to try and point out a flaw in his big-game play.

You wouldn’t rag on the big-game play of the immortal forwards on one bad game so in theory you shouldn’t do it to the lesser ones.

FWIW Sumich averaged 3.3 goals per game in home and away footy.
He averaged 3.3 in finals footy too.

Marcus DuQuesne

Cancelled
Aug 4, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
I watched a lot of Quinlan as a young Fitzroy fan, too young to remember Blight playing really. Those that objectively remember both, what are your thoughts on who’d be the better player?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Malcolm Blight probably has a bigger profile in the game but quite frankly I think SuperBoot Quinlan was a better player. Played 366 games and kicked over 800 goals against Blight 178 games and 444 goals. Quinlan played some of his best football late in his career and unfortunately played for a couple of "dud" teams. Quinlan was 6 feet 4 and Blight 6 foot..so different. On balance Quinlan better!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back