Top 10 forwards you've seen

Remove this Banner Ad

Malcolm Blight probably has a bigger profile in the game but quite frankly I think SuperBoot Quinlan was a better player. Played 366 games and kicked over 800 goals against Blight 178 games and 444 goals. Quinlan played some of his best football late in his career and unfortunately played for a couple of "dud" teams. Quinlan was 6 feet 4 and Blight 6 foot..so different. On balance Quinlan better!

Both champs obviously, these comparisons are fun but probably futile!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unfortunately he's always going to be marked down against players like Brown (because premierships) and any Vic forward (because not Victorian)
Those 5 years between 2001 and 2005 - a joy to watch though. 60 goals, 100 inside 50's, 200 marks and 400 possessions a year for a key forward - and such a presence on the field.
And as for Carlton, this is why they were so keen on him in 1999.
https://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/1998/031319980509.html.

When a player as a 19yo can kick 8.4 with 17 marks in just 3 quarters (before doing a knee cap injury) in your 8th game of top-level footy - one of my favourite all time memories seen live.

I am Victorian and he was every bit as good as Brown and in front of Brerton. Probably a tad behind Sticks and Carey but certainly in the conversation. Better kick than Kernahan who could not kick over a jam tin but still got the job done.

I am Victorian and he was every bit as good as Brown and in front of Brerton. Probably a tad behind Sticks and Carey but certainly in the conversation. Better kick than Kernahan who could not kick over a jam tin but still got the job done.
I actually forgot about Tredrea, i'd have him ahead of Brown as well, Brown was a hell of a player though.

1 Barrie Robran
2 Wayne Carey
3 Leigh Matthews
4 Malcolm Blight
5 Tony Lockett
6 Gary Ablett sen
7 Lance Franklin
8 Darren Jarman
9 Stephen Kernahan
10 Jason Dunstall

Wildcard Allan Jackovich if he played more he had the skill but maybe not the temperament

Excluding Crows, as adult
1. Ablett Senior
2. Carey
3. Lockett
4. Kernahan
5. Franklin
6. Pavlich
7. Brown
8. Tredrea
9. Riewoldt
10. Dunstall

Crows
1. Modra (would be in my top 5)
2. D Jarman
3. Betts
4. Walker
5. Burton

Excluding Crows, as adult
1. Ablett Senior
2. Carey
3. Lockett
4. Kernahan
5. Franklin
6. Pavlich
7. Brown
8. Tredrea
9. Riewoldt
10. Dunstall

Crows
1. Modra (would be in my top 5)
2. D Jarman
3. Betts
4. Walker
5. Burton
Excellent lists
Agree with Modra top 5.
Dunstall at 10 seems a bit low.
And much as he is despicable , Brereton possibly gets ahead of a few, imho

Excellent lists
Agree with Modra top 5.
Dunstall at 10 seems a bit low.
And much as he is despicable , Brereton possibly gets ahead of a few, imho
Must admit I debated Dunstall, but ranked him lower as I didn't see him as much... though does have an unbelievable record.

Kernahan I had higher as I saw more of him, having watched him for SA & Glenelg.

These players are all champions, so much comes down to personal preference.

My top 10 in no order. (in my lifetime)

T. Modra
T. Lockett
G. Ablett (snr)
W. Carey
M. Lloyd
J. Dunstall
M. Richardson
L. Franklin
S. Kernahan
N. Riewoldt

Other mentions. (in my lifetime)

F. Gehrig
B. Fevola
B. Hall
P. Daicos
E. Betts
S. Milne
M. Pavlich
J. Kennedy (Eagles)
S. Cummings
J. Farmer
B. Quinlan
S. Milne (I bloody hated him LOL, I still remember he outgoaled the Adelaide Crows once in 2011)
Stevie J (hehe, loved his fights)

It didn't start out that way, but ended up as a tall/key forward list:
Ablett Sr
Lockett
Franklin
Carey
Dunstall
Pavlich
Leowe
Lloyd
St Nick
Fevola

Brown, Grant, among others to be close.
Don't really remember Quinlan or Beasley enough to include them.
Hird isn't in largely because his strength was versatility, played CHB and in the middle a lot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Carey, brilliant in good and bad sides, game changer, match winner.
Lockett , brilliant in good and bad sides, match winner.
Hird , brilliant in good and bad sides, inspirational. Tough.
Blight, complete footballer.
G.Ablett [GOD] If people want to rate anyone better they're mistaken.
Pavlich. If he had played anywhere else but dickheadsville he would be rated by all.
D.Swartzs . so close to being one of the greats.
Leowe. once he worked out how to kick straight, unstoppable.
Dunstall, record speaks for itself, easier playing in eight grand final era, but he was good. Unselfish.
Too many options for no. 10.
Special mention Kennedy WC. Lloyd Ess. Neizte. Melb

Where would Lindner have rated if Ablett had not existed and own the Cat forward line ?
Bizarre question.
They did coexist.
Many people forget how utterly brilliant GAS was when he finally played FF fulltime. 3 consecutive years of 120+ goals a year, amidst suspensions etc.

Bizarre question.
They did coexist.
Many people forget how utterly brilliant GAS was when he finally played FF fulltime. 3 consecutive years of 120+ goals a year, amidst suspensions etc.

Lindner was pushed further up the ground from what I recall.
I thought I remember him playing half back in the 1989 grand final. My question was about Lindner, not Ablett.

Lindner was pushed further up the ground from what I recall.
I thought I remember him playing half back in the 1989 grand final. My question was about Lindner, not Ablett.
Lindner was also a freakish player, a little inconsistent, and did play half back in the 89 GF. He had played as a HFF/FF a lot of the season. He may well have been THE man, I suppose is your question, and I apologise, not so bizarre; but the same could be asked of Brownless.who also topped our goalkicking the season Ablett went awol and after he left.
I guess my point was that Ablett was that far ahead of anybody else

So, how do we think he would be remembered if he had the forward line free roaming licence GOD did from mid 80's to end of the 90's ? Could he be remembered on the next level down of key forwards with the Brereton's and Capper types of that era ?

Have excluded a few because it was in about 2005 that I think I was old enough to understand what I was watching.

1. Franklin
2. Fevola
3. N Riewoldt
4. Kennedy
5. Hall
6. S Johnson
7. Pavlich
8. J Brown
9. J Riewoldt
10. Betts

Excluded guys like Lloyd and Richo because whilst I watched them for a few years I don’t feel I saw enough of their career to accurately judge them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back