Opinion Top 10 Freo games

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 18, 2012
Vic
AFL Club
Fremantle
Time for a off-season thread, quarantine style. What are your personal top 10 Freo games? Any criteria you like - best quality games, favourite memories, whatever you like. My list will be skewed from 2010 onwards since those are my fondest memories.

10. Round 11, 2019 - Collingwood vs Fremantle. I needed something from the last few years, as barren as it was there were some good ones. This one pipped Mundy-after-the-siren, and was particularly memorable because I went to the game and no-one gave us a hope in hell against one of the premiership faves. Walters kicked the winner and a great night of celebration ensued.

9. Semi Final 2006 - Fremantle vs Melbourne. Our first finals win. Not my most memorable, but historic.

8. Round 11, 2012 - Richmond vs Fremantle. A bit of an odd one maybe, but I think this game kickstarted our run in 2012 after a sketchy first half of the season. The great man Pav put on an absolute masterclass with 6 goals in the wet.

7. Elimination Final, 2010 - Fremantle vs Hawthorn. Capped off a resurgent season with the young Dockers taking down the Hawks, Fyfe & Hill playing in their first final. That legendary run from Morabito.

6. Round 1, 2012 - Fremantle vs Geelong. Pav kicks the winner in a thriller that saw us win our first game under new coach RTB Lyon. A young Fyfe BOG. Top quality game.

5. Round 3, 2010 - Fremantle vs Geelong. Even better quality game, high scoring, Ablett put on a show, Pav put on a better show with 5 goals and Hill with 2 massive roosts from outside 50. A breakthrough game for our young team to go on and do bigger and better things.

4. Round 21, 2000 - Fremantle vs West Coast. The demo derby. I didn't see it live but I still get the feels watching it on replay. Such a good game. Clive at his best.

3. Elimination Final, 2012 - Geelong vs Fremantle. Our first finals win at the MCG, again with no-one giving us a hope in hell and again with Pav leading the way with 6 clutch goals. Smashed them in the first half - they didn't kick a goal until we were 50 points up. Beautiful and jaw-dropping seeing it unfold live.

2. Preliminary Final, 2013 - Fremantle vs Sydney. We looked unstoppable, and the feeling that we were going to our first ever GF was unforgettable.

1. Qualifying Final, 2013 - Geelong vs Fremantle. The build-up of being shafted to Geelong, with the whole city of Geelong gloating and flinging crap our way with their unbeatable home record behind them. And we were down early after copping it from the umps, but battled our way to arguably our best ever win. It was an unrelenting slog at times and there were some classic moments with Pav's goal saving fist, Hill's run, Crowley vs SJ and Sandi dominating in the helmet.

So that's mine. Putting this list together made me remember just how sensational Pav was and how he constantly featured in our best and most important games.
What's your list?

Crazy how many of them have been against Geelong, always seems to be exciting whenever we play
Could also include the game against them in 2014 when mundy missed after the siren.

The Freo-Geelong rivalry from 2012-2014 are some of my favourite footy times

Pretty much got it.

Some honourable mentions -
Farmer after the siren v Melbourne
Longmuir after the siren v St Kilda
Mundy after the siren v Richmond
First derby win
Modra 10 goals v Melbourne away
Aeroplane Willsy
Some of the games second half of 2006 season
Sirengate for sheer wtf-ness

2 VERY underrated derbies, especially by Fox Footy.

Round 22, 2003: Winner hosted a final, loser travelled. Hard hitting game that never blew out beyond 3 goals. Farmer looked like he was on track for 10 goals until he went down in the first.

Round 6, 2006: Even contest that both sides took control of for significant portions at some point. High quality between 2 of the best sides that season. When Haselby slotted the winner and then Polak wrapped up Seaby in the subsequent ruck contest it was a huge roar in m loungeroom.

Round 22, 2003: Winner hosted a final, loser travelled. Hard hitting game that never blew out beyond 3 goals. Farmer looked like he was on track for 10 goals until he went down in the first.

Round 6, 2006: Even contest that both sides took control of for significant portions at some point. High quality between 2 of the best sides that season. When Haselby slotted the winner and then Polak wrapped up Seaby in the subsequent ruck contest it was a huge roar in m loungeroom.

See when it comes to derbies for me I don't really care about the quality of the contest, the bigger the smashing of west coast the better
So that second derby in 2012 when Pav kicked 8 and we won by 10 goals was brilliant. I had fun in the office for weeks after that. Especially since we had lost the one earlier in the year.

10. Rd 19? 2003 vs North. We had to win to stay in touch with finals. North were in the same boat. Pav played a blinder. Longmuir bro’s combined well from memory.

9. Rd 5 1998 vs North. Awesome game under lights at the WACA.First time we beat the dominant Roos. Clive was up and about booting 4, Wills played his best game for us getting 3 votes (including that celebration) which was our best goal up to that point imo.

8. Demolition Derby. Everyone knows the details.

7. Semi Final 2006 vs Melbourne. Big relief getting that first finals win. Nothing too memorable, but it was the biggest win for us and our history. From memory Heath Black was terrific off half back.

6.Rd 18 2001 vs Hawks. It was looking like we were going to have a winless season. But Belly and the other troops in the middle fought hard. Jlo, Pav and an energetic Koops combined for 12 goals and we saved ourselves from a total embarrassment. What an upset that game was!

5.Rd 3 2010 vs Geelong. Geelong were s**t hot and somehow we managed a very stressful win. Never yelled more at the tv. Remember Pav and Gaz dueling in the midfield. Best win pre Lyon years and first time we won the first 3 games of a season.

4. Rd 1 2012 vs Geelong. Might be controversialy high in the rankings?? But it was clear to many at the time it was a start to a new era. Certain players changed their mindsets/attitudes that pre season under coach Lyon. Pav playing fwd, McPhee back to half back, Clancee lost a s**t ton of weight and crowls back to what he did best. Ballas getting under the skin of Scarlett, Zack Dawson playing a cameo with a huge bump at the end and Pavs goal! So many stories in one game!

3.CElimination Final vs Geelong 2012.
we weren’t expecting to win and it was a huge win at the G. It was probably Pavs last Dominant game. He was unstoppable and it was simply a master class.

2. Prelim Vs Sydney 2013. That chant! That Fwd pressure!

1. Qualifier vs Geelong down at the Swamp. No need to put a description on it. Afl designed that for us to lose and cats to win.. You know the rest!

10. Rd 19? 2003 vs North. We had to win to stay in touch with finals. North were in the same boat. Pav played a blinder. Longmuir bro’s combined well from memory.

9. Rd 5 1998 vs North. Awesome game under lights at the WACA.First time we beat the dominant Roos. Clive was up and about booting 4, Wills played his best game for us getting 3 votes (including that celebration) which was our best goal up to that point imo.

8. Demolition Derby. Everyone knows the details.

7. Semi Final 2006 vs Melbourne. Big relief getting that first finals win. Nothing too memorable, but it was the biggest win for us and our history. From memory Heath Black was terrific off half back.

6.Rd 18 2001 vs Hawks. It was looking like we were going to have a winless season. But Belly and the other troops in the middle fought hard. Jlo, Pav and an energetic Koops combined for 12 goals and we saved ourselves from a total embarrassment. What an upset that game was!

5.Rd 3 2010 vs Geelong. Geelong were s**t hot and somehow we managed a very stressful win. Never yelled more at the tv. Remember Pav and Gaz dueling in the midfield. Best win pre Lyon years and first time we won the first 3 games of a season.

4. Rd 1 2012 vs Geelong. Might be controversialy high in the rankings?? But it was clear to many at the time it was a start to a new era. Certain players changed their mindsets/attitudes that pre season under coach Lyon. Pav playing fwd, McPhee back to half back, Clancee lost a s**t ton of weight and crowls back to what he did best. Ballas getting under the skin of Scarlett, Zack Dawson playing a cameo with a huge bump at the end and Pavs goal! So many stories in one game!

3.CElimination Final vs Geelong 2012.
we weren’t expecting to win and it was a huge win at the G. It was probably Pavs last Dominant game. He was unstoppable and it was simply a master class.

2. Prelim Vs Sydney 2013. That chant! That Fwd pressure!

1. Qualifier vs Geelong down at the Swamp. No need to put a description on it. Afl designed that for us to lose and cats to win.. You know the rest!
About that Hawthorn game after a lot of losses, I had a mate chuck a sickie & fly over 2 watch it. Because there were so few Freo supporters there they showed him, (injured & using crutches) celebrating the win.
When he got home he was busted by his boss who had seen him on tv

On CPH1920 using BigFooty.com mobile app

2003 was a good year for it. Outside of those mentioned above (R22 derby and R19 vs Kangaroos) you have R14 vs the 3peat Brisbane side in a tight tussle all day and we pipped them at the post as well as R16 vs Adelaide which was a crazy game with wild fluctuations where both sides were belting the other at certain stages.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can’t name a top 10 but the best I’ve seen live was Round 9 2015 vs Adelaide. I’m currently watching it again on YouTube. Pretty sure there’s only four players left on this list from this game now.

Very good game. Still feel Barlows freak snap was better than Eddie's on the boundary. Either way a highly skilled game in the wet.

And of course, Fyfe vs Dangerfield.

Not underrated by yours truly! Those two are still the two best derbies ever played, and not a single one of them from the 2010s really came close to matching it, win or lose.

So they both feature on my list:

10. Round 8, 2002 - Fremantle vs Melbourne. This one is here really for purely sentimental reasons. The first time I ever saw my beloved Dockers live, it capped off one of the pivotal weeks of my life, and I was privileged to be able to toss the coin (if you've got a long memory, you may remember who I am from that). I probably have more affection for the Connolly era than most; perhaps because it seemed my team and me were coming of age together. And then it was a really good game which came down to former Demon Jeff Farmer being pushed in the back by David Neitz with 2 seconds on the clock, and proceeding to kick the world's wobbliest goal to win it after the siren.

9. Round 22, 2003 - West Coast vs Fremantle. The second best derby of them all, with high stakes and a ferocious contest. And at last, we out-gritted the Eagles for possibly the first time in our history. It's still a fantastic game to watch, with many of the WA football stars of the 00s from both teams at the peak of their powers. Pity it took so much energy out of both teams that they promptly collapsed the following week!

8. Round 17, 1998 - Fremantle vs Adelaide. I have to include something from the Neesham era, as I doubt I would have stuck so fast with Fremantle if there hadn't have been anything to cheer for. This was a rare excursion into Friday night football for us, featuring devastating knee injuries to Paul Maher and Luke Toia and a genuinely gripping finish as Darren Jarman missed the lot with a couple of minutes to go (much to Bruce's dismay!). I think it shows how much the early years of Freo could still produce moments of magic amongst a whole lot of bad stuff.

7. Round 21, 2005 - Fremantle vs St Kilda. Never, ever, ever was Subiaco Oval as noisy as it was after our present coach contributed his eternal moment in Freo history (although he did plenty more in his truncated career that gets sadly ignored these days). In fairness, the Saints were down to two on the bench for the last quarter, which saw one of Freo's most dogged comebacks. I think this is one of the matches I always remember Luke McPharlin for; not just his final rundown of Justin Peckett, he was brilliant the whole time. It might rank higher if not for the fact that we proceeded to completely blow our shot at the finals the following week in Adelaide...

6. Elimination Final, 2010 - Fremantle vs Hawthorn. It probably sticks out more now because of the history that followed, although many Hawthorn pundits completely failing to take us seriously (to their cost) in the leadup also appeals. Even after Barlow's injury, 2010 just seemed to hold out so much promise for a brighter future - some of it came true obviously, as Walters was a fringe player in those days, but really stepped up here as a big game performer. But then you think that we have only beaten Clarko once more ever since, and it was Morabito's last effective appearance...

5. Round 17, 2015 - Richmond vs Fremantle. Even if the team had the staggers trying to hang onto top spot after Richmond beat us earlier in 2015, it's probably this match that really makes me smile at the formidable machine we were that year. It's a rare Lyon era match where we were actually behind for long stretches of the match rather than holding grimly onto a three goal lead; the entire team stood up in the clinches to see us home, and it was the win here which actually brought home the McClelland trophy. There have obviously been good wins and great moments since, but if I'm honest this was the last time that a Fremantle side in true contention reached its peak.

4. Round 3, 2010 - Fremantle vs Geelong. The start of the 2010 season at times felt like a dream, with a side which had been distinctly bottom 6 material for the last couple of seasons appearing reborn and re-energised, as new young stars began coming of age and a couple of excellent mature age recruits made an immediate impact. Toppling the reigning premiers in a superb and high-scoring match just kept the roll going. The Lyon era certainly hit the heights at times, but I can't really remember it producing a match quite the same as this one; the Longmuir era could do worse to refer to it as a template of sorts for the future.

3. Round 6, 2006 - Fremantle vs West Coast. As mentioned above, the very best of the 50 derbies, still. So rarely it seemed that both teams were truly evenly matched; even if the other could sometimes play above their ladder position, this match showed a combat between two Top 4 outfits even more than 2015 did. The fact we won this one is even more memorable due to the fact that it came immediately after the drama of Sirengate the week before, Polak had to become our emergency ruckman for almost the whole game after Sandi was sniped, and Judd got a Glendinning for being him as opposed to BOG (at least he still retains a good attitude towards the deserved booing of the judges!).

2. Elimination Final, 2012 - Geelong vs Fremantle. So many of our matches against Geelong in this era rank amongst our best - the two teams just seemed to bring the best out of each other at this time. After coming home in season one of Lyon with a wet sail, we nevertheless were not expected to do anything at the MCG on that particular night. Cue a spellbinding Pavlich masterclass on one leg and an opening quarter blitzkreig, then what became the famous Lyon "hanging grimly on" tactic for much of the second half, and it remains one of our finest away wins.

1. Qualifying Final, 2013 - Geelong vs Fremantle. Freo's finest two and a bit hours by a fair stretch. Everyone goes on about the prelim the following week, but that was really a match where we blew Sydney apart in the second after initial inaccuracy and then basically everyone tried not to injure themselves for the entire second half. The qualifying final was a spellbinding slog in incredibly hostile conditions; particularly the last quarter, with the entire team throwing everything at desperately holding on which was the very embodiment of Ross Lyon football.

Not underrated by yours truly! Those two are still the two best derbies ever played, and not a single one of them from the 2010s really came close to matching it, win or lose.

So they both feature on my list:

10. Round 8, 2002 - Fremantle vs Melbourne. This one is here really for purely sentimental reasons. The first time I ever saw my beloved Dockers live, it capped off one of the pivotal weeks of my life, and I was privileged to be able to toss the coin (if you've got a long memory, you may remember who I am from that). I probably have more affection for the Connolly era than most; perhaps because it seemed my team and me were coming of age together. And then it was a really good game which came down to former Demon Jeff Farmer being pushed in the back by David Neitz with 2 seconds on the clock, and proceeding to kick the world's wobbliest goal to win it after the siren.

9. Round 22, 2003 - West Coast vs Fremantle. The second best derby of them all, with high stakes and a ferocious contest. And at last, we out-gritted the Eagles for possibly the first time in our history. It's still a fantastic game to watch, with many of the WA football stars of the 00s from both teams at the peak of their powers. Pity it took so much energy out of both teams that they promptly collapsed the following week!

8. Round 17, 1998 - Fremantle vs Adelaide. I have to include something from the Neesham era, as I doubt I would have stuck so fast with Fremantle if there hadn't have been anything to cheer for. This was a rare excursion into Friday night football for us, featuring devastating knee injuries to Paul Maher and Luke Toia and a genuinely gripping finish as Darren Jarman missed the lot with a couple of minutes to go (much to Bruce's dismay!). I think it shows how much the early years of Freo could still produce moments of magic amongst a whole lot of bad stuff.

7. Round 21, 2005 - Fremantle vs St Kilda. Never, ever, ever was Subiaco Oval as noisy as it was after our present coach contributed his eternal moment in Freo history (although he did plenty more in his truncated career that gets sadly ignored these days). In fairness, the Saints were down to two on the bench for the last quarter, which saw one of Freo's most dogged comebacks. I think this is one of the matches I always remember Luke McPharlin for; not just his final rundown of Justin Peckett, he was brilliant the whole time. It might rank higher if not for the fact that we proceeded to completely blow our shot at the finals the following week in Adelaide...

6. Elimination Final, 2010 - Fremantle vs Hawthorn. It probably sticks out more now because of the history that followed, although many Hawthorn pundits completely failing to take us seriously (to their cost) in the leadup also appeals. Even after Barlow's injury, 2010 just seemed to hold out so much promise for a brighter future - some of it came true obviously, as Walters was a fringe player in those days, but really stepped up here as a big game performer. But then you think that we have only beaten Clarko once more ever since, and it was Morabito's last effective appearance...

5. Round 17, 2015 - Richmond vs Fremantle. Even if the team had the staggers trying to hang onto top spot after Richmond beat us earlier in 2015, it's probably this match that really makes me smile at the formidable machine we were that year. It's a rare Lyon era match where we were actually behind for long stretches of the match rather than holding grimly onto a three goal lead; the entire team stood up in the clinches to see us home, and it was the win here which actually brought home the McClelland trophy. There have obviously been good wins and great moments since, but if I'm honest this was the last time that a Fremantle side in true contention reached its peak.

4. Round 3, 2010 - Fremantle vs Geelong. The start of the 2010 season at times felt like a dream, with a side which had been distinctly bottom 6 material for the last couple of seasons appearing reborn and re-energised, as new young stars began coming of age and a couple of excellent mature age recruits made an immediate impact. Toppling the reigning premiers in a superb and high-scoring match just kept the roll going. The Lyon era certainly hit the heights at times, but I can't really remember it producing a match quite the same as this one; the Longmuir era could do worse to refer to it as a template of sorts for the future.

3. Round 6, 2006 - Fremantle vs West Coast. As mentioned above, the very best of the 50 derbies, still. So rarely it seemed that both teams were truly evenly matched; even if the other could sometimes play above their ladder position, this match showed a combat between two Top 4 outfits even more than 2015 did. The fact we won this one is even more memorable due to the fact that it came immediately after the drama of Sirengate the week before, Polak had to become our emergency ruckman for almost the whole game after Sandi was sniped, and Judd got a Glendinning for being him as opposed to BOG (at least he still retains a good attitude towards the deserved booing of the judges!).

2. Elimination Final, 2012 - Geelong vs Fremantle. So many of our matches against Geelong in this era rank amongst our best - the two teams just seemed to bring the best out of each other at this time. After coming home in season one of Lyon with a wet sail, we nevertheless were not expected to do anything at the MCG on that particular night. Cue a spellbinding Pavlich masterclass on one leg and an opening quarter blitzkreig, then what became the famous Lyon "hanging grimly on" tactic for much of the second half, and it remains one of our finest away wins.

1. Qualifying Final, 2013 - Geelong vs Fremantle. Freo's finest two and a bit hours by a fair stretch. Everyone goes on about the prelim the following week, but that was really a match where we blew Sydney apart in the second after initial inaccuracy and then basically everyone tried not to injure themselves for the entire second half. The qualifying final was a spellbinding slog in incredibly hostile conditions; particularly the last quarter, with the entire team throwing everything at desperately holding on which was the very embodiment of Ross Lyon football.
That QF easily number 1. Some sublime individual efforts that day.

Barlow understatedly best ever game for Freo, in the most important occasion for the club. 32 disposals, 3 goals. Just did his business.
Pavlich all game was threatening. Crowley was huge after first quarter.

That Hill Goal spilled so much emotions not just for myself but for all of us I’m sure. Never forget that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back