Top 10 Key Position Forwards

Remove this Banner Ad

You seem obsessed about family members.

I didn't make him the 7th most successful footballer in his family. I just noticed that he is.

Infatuated Cats fanatics: Gary Ablett Snr is the best footballer in the history of the universe

MR: He is the 7th most successful footballer in his family...

Infatuated Cats fanatics: You are obsessed with families MR. :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Ted Tyson playing for West Perth kicked 1197 goals in 228 games at an average of 5.25 per game. He is never mentioned in these discussions.

Ron Best kicked 1624 goals in various vic country leagues. He is never mentioned in these discussions.

There are probably others who kicked more...This was just the first that came up on my google search.

Of course, there is a reason he's never mentioned in these discussions...Only goals in the top league count.

These days FF and CHF are blurred positions. For most of footy history the goalsquare (say goal line to 40 out) and higher position (say 30 out up to the wing) were set positions.

The gods of FF are in my view Coventry, Dunstall and Lockett. All three shared the forward line with another dominant forward, and the first two were premiership winning machines. All three produced for over a decade in good and less successful sides.

Coleman is over rated. He's not statistically the best in any way, and if you take any of the big 3s best 5 years they blow him away. It's not a big enough sample: essentially he's a coodabeen, the king of coodabeens. I'd add it was a relaxed postwar league he was in, not the higher standard of the Golden 20s and 30s or the far more professional 80s and 90s.Basically Coleman didn't do enough to be considered alongside Locket etc. but don't tell the Bombers, they think he's Jesus.

Hudson and Pratt were freaks, and Pratt shared the forward line with Laurie Nash: both are contenders for best KPF of all time. They were less durable than the Big Three but have a case.

CHF is more subjective. Carey is the best I've seen, from Brereton. Historically Nash, Hart, Loewe and Kernahan (early years) were superb. Wildcard Carman produced half a season in 1975 many (including Collingwood haters) call the GOAT.

Gary Ablett Snr was a wingman. He is correctly rated as a brilliant FF because he could play anywhere and dominate. He is the GOAT Aussie rules footballer, and as a FF is definitely top 10, maybe top 5.

Franklin is a tall small forward. I've never seen him play as a KPF in the bang crash contested role. Probably the best small forward ever, ahead of Daicos.

1. Peter Hudson: averaged a record 5.64 goals a game, had seasons of 125, 120, 146 and then in 1971 tied the record of 150 goals in a season, knee injury in round 1 1972 kept him to just 4 games over 3 of his prime years, then went back to Tasmania for the 75, 76 seasons, came back in 1977 and wasn’t the same player but still kicked 110 for the season. Including his Tasmania league goals and State representative games he holds the record of 1721 goals from 288 Elite Australian rules games.

2. John Coleman: 12 goals on debut the league new a special player had arrived, led the league goal kicking 5 times over his first 5 years. Season 6 game 6 a knee injury ended his career, he had 42 goals for that year.

3. Tony Lockett: record 1360 goals, 4 x Coleman medalist

4. Wayne Carey: could win a game off his own boot like no other.

5. Gordon Coventry: 1299 goals, 6 x league leading goal kicker

6. Gary Ablett snr: moved to full forward late in his career and his time there was up there with the best picking up 3 Coleman medals, 1031 goals

7. Jason Dunstall: 1254 goals, 3 x Coleman medalist

8. Royce Hart: with his pack marking and determination he is described as the ideal centre half forward. Named CHF for the VFL AFL team of the century.

9. Lance Franklin: 1049 goals and counting, 4 x Coleman medalist

10. Ken Farmer: 1417 SANFL goals, 11 x SANFL league leading goal kicker, including state league games 1498 elite Australian rules goals 2nd only to Peter Hudson.

Others in consideration

Dick Lee: Lower scoring era but holds a record 7 x VFL league leading goal kicker.

Doug Wade: 1057 career goals, 4 x Coleman medalist

Peter McKenna: 2 x Coleman medalist. His best years kicking 143, 134, 130 goals over 1969-71

Bob Pratt: Record 150 goals in a season, 2 x league leading goal kicker.

Fred Fanning: 4 x league leading goal kicker, VFL record 18 goals in a game

Austin Robertson Jnr: All time WAFL league leading goal kicker with 1271, 8 x WAFL league leading goal kicker, came 2nd in the Coleman in his only VFL season in 1966.

Bernie Naylor: 1034 goals from 194 WAFL games.

Matthew Lloyd: 3 x Coleman medalist

Nick Riewoldt: His leading up the ground, marking ability and getting back inside 50 kicking goals was brilliant, all time league leading marker since stats were counted

Dips me lid. Perfect list 👍

1. Peter Hudson: averaged a record 5.64 goals a game, had seasons of 125, 120, 146 and then in 1971 tied the record of 150 goals in a season, knee injury in round 1 1972 kept him to just 4 games over 3 of his prime years, then went back to Tasmania for the 75, 76 seasons, came back in 1977 and wasn’t the same player but still kicked 110 for the season. Including his Tasmania league goals and State representative games he holds the record of 1721 goals from 288 Elite Australian rules games.

2. John Coleman: 12 goals on debut the league new a special player had arrived, led the league goal kicking 5 times over his first 5 years. Season 6 game 6 a knee injury ended his career, he had 42 goals for that year.

3. Tony Lockett: record 1360 goals, 4 x Coleman medalist

4. Wayne Carey: could win a game off his own boot like no other.

5. Gordon Coventry: 1299 goals, 6 x league leading goal kicker

6. Gary Ablett snr: moved to full forward late in his career and his time there was up there with the best picking up 3 Coleman medals, 1031 goals

7. Jason Dunstall: 1254 goals, 3 x Coleman medalist

8. Royce Hart: with his pack marking and determination he is described as the ideal centre half forward. Named CHF for the VFL AFL team of the century.

9. Lance Franklin: 1049 goals and counting, 4 x Coleman medalist

10. Ken Farmer: 1417 SANFL goals, 11 x SANFL league leading goal kicker, including state league games 1498 elite Australian rules goals 2nd only to Peter Hudson.
Much closer to it. Hard to argue with any of those names.

These days FF and CHF are blurred positions. For most of footy history the goalsquare (say goal line to 40 out) and higher position (say 30 out up to the wing) were set positions.

The gods of FF are in my view Coventry, Dunstall and Lockett. All three shared the forward line with another dominant forward, and the first two were premiership winning machines. All three produced for over a decade in good and less successful sides.

Coleman is over rated. He's not statistically the best in any way, and if you take any of the big 3s best 5 years they blow him away. It's not a big enough sample: essentially he's a coodabeen, the king of coodabeens. I'd add it was a relaxed postwar league he was in, not the higher standard of the Golden 20s and 30s or the far more professional 80s and 90s.Basically Coleman didn't do enough to be considered alongside Locket etc. but don't tell the Bombers, they think he's Jesus.

Hudson and Pratt were freaks, and Pratt shared the forward line with Laurie Nash: both are contenders for best KPF of all time. They were less durable than the Big Three but have a case.

CHF is more subjective. Carey is the best I've seen, from Brereton. Historically Nash, Hart, Loewe and Kernahan (early years) were superb. Wildcard Carman produced half a season in 1975 many (including Collingwood haters) call the GOAT.

Gary Ablett Snr was a wingman. He is correctly rated as a brilliant FF because he could play anywhere and dominate. He is the GOAT Aussie rules footballer, and as a FF is definitely top 10, maybe top 5.

Franklin is a tall small forward. I've never seen him play as a KPF in the bang crash contested role. Probably the best small forward ever, ahead of Daicos.
Good post, but how is Buddy small at almost 200cm? You mean the way he plays? He plays like J. Cameron running all over the ground, roving etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back