Top 10 KP Backmen

Remove this Banner Ad

10 - Luke McPharlin
Will come with some criticism but he was a champion in my mind, maybe growing up in Western Australia in this era has made me a touch bias. Underrated in my mind, a master in the air and held it down at the dockers with not much help.

9- Justin Leppitsch- a rock in a champion team had so much presence and would take on great chf every week. Strong reliable and well skilled the centrepiece around one of the best sides ever backline.

8- Chris Langford
I remember him being the guy know one wanted to match up on, when ever he walked to the stars you thought he is actually a chance. Everyone else it was oh maybe if they get lucky might hold them.I was very young watching him but he stood out in my mind.

7-Tom Stewart
Still early in his career but one of the best I have seen, so versatile so attacking and reads the play as well as anyone I have seen.

6- Jeremy McGovern
A great career so far one of the best interception players of all time. Has stood up in massive moments as well.

5- Dustin Fletcher
Did it for so many years, record games playing on superstars across generations, could handle the locketts deep and the new age franklins and Pavlich types working up the ground and turning back. Inspector gadget arms and tough as nails.

4-Paul Roos
I didn’t get to see much of him but he is rated as high as possible by some very knowledgeable people.

3- Alex Rance
Was an amazing player, I remember seeing him play at 16 he had 6 booted on him by half time by two guys who had less amazing afl careers and I thought they only talk about this guy because of his dad. I have never been so wrong a genuine champion of a player and a shame to see him leave early.

2- Steven Silvagni
Played on the best and they all say he was the best, could be 1 is 1 in a lot of peoples mind. There’s no arguments here one of the best ever.

1- Matthew Scarlett
I go for Geelong and he was so important for us in a golden time. A w***er to play on I imagine he just wanted to beat you no matter what. Thankyou Scarlett!

Honourable mention- Darren Glass Chad Cornes Glenn Jackovich Tom Harley Steven May
Gary Ayres wipes his arse with your list, won 2 Norm Smiths playing CHB.

Dustin (move me after I have one kicked on me) Fletcher? FPMSL, Fletcher wasn’t a key backs a-hole, was more a loose/intercept defender, they had a segment on it during one of the pre games on the radio, they had the stats where he was moved off a FF early, it happened regularly, iirc it wasn’t long after Sav went in dry on him.

Mick Martin shat on him as a true KB, burnt him, stomped his ashes into dust, then he would’ve pissed on them, only God knows what Mick would’ve done to him if they met off the ground, put any of the top FFs on the Front Bar and Fletchers name won’t be mentioned, Mick’s would though, story goes Mick would’ve been Norths FF if Carey wasn’t there, Mick was the premier FF in his u19s iirc, kicked over 100.

Alistair Lynch was the best KB I ever saw, and business was a booming during his Fitzroy days, Leppitsch wouldn’t make my top 30, Mal Micheal was better than him.

Always had time for Peter Dean, thought he was one of the more underrated backs, always carved us up, Mr Reliable.

James Clement was the best defender I’ve seen for Collingwood, could play on smalls as well, turned defence into attack, massively underrated player.

Rest of the list, I wouldn’t have Roo’s in, Lynch was always the better player IMO.

SOS, Superstar, would’ve kicked 100 multiple times if played as a FF.

Scarlett, can’t deny his quality but wasn’t the most entertaining player I’ve seen, he did drop that little fkr from Freo though and gets max points for that.

Rance, Cloke took him to the cleaners one day, absolutely demolished him, not sure what happened after that but he went on to become one of the very best, maybe he found God?, he was a Superman when he retired.

Glass unlucky?

Last edited:
Some serious underrating of Alipate Carlile in this thread.

I'm surprised there is a debate whether a player at 190cm, in today's game, is a KPD or not. Would Stewart go to Hawkins?

Most 190cm players are intercept players, third up and mid sized defenders.

To much dismay of others I'd even class Scarlett, at 192cm, as a hybrid KPD and mid sized depending on the role he was tasked with from week to week.

Moore (absolute gun).
Ross Glendinning I would take over Stewart.
Jakovich certainly top 10 all time.
Brian Lake definitely near the top 10. It's no surprise Hawthorn win 3 consecutive flags the moment he signed.

It’s a decent list, other than the fact that Glen Jakovich is a walk up start for a top 10 list of the ‘modern era’ that this list appears to be based on….

…and as stated, Tom Stewart is not really a KPD. If it’s open to debate I think we can exclude him from the list and stick with ‘real ones’.

Moore (absolute gun).
Ross Glendinning I would take over Stewart.
Jakovich certainly top 10 all time.
Brian Lake definitely near the top 10. It's no surprise Hawthorn win 3 consecutive flags the moment he signed.

another great so often forgotten

Just brilliant

Sam Fisher a bit stiff in my opinion to miss out.
Make all the jokes you want about the mistakes he's made in retirement in his personal life.
he was picked up in the rookie draft in about 03 but from 08-12 he was a beast a CHB for the saints

I used to love Mal Michael. the guy was a beast for Brisbane during their 3 peat. he's be right up there for me.
He was great but he wasn't as good as Leppa.
Unfortunately for him, he will forever be a great trivia answer though.

Alistair Lynch was the best KB I ever saw, and business was a booming during his Fitzroy days, Leppitsch wouldn’t make my top 30, Mal Micheal was better than him.
I never got to see Lynch in the backline, only really as an older FF who rarely left the square and could outwrestle anyone in the AFL. What was he like when he was a young guy without chronic fatigue?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I never got to see Lynch in the backline, only really as an older FF who rarely left the square and could outwrestle anyone in the AFL. What was he like when he was a young guy without chronic fatigue?

Bit like this really:

555315-hs-afl-alistair-lynch.jpg

The Roys had some players back in the day. Pert, Roos, Quinlan, Gary Wilson, Ross Lyon, Micky Conlan, Barwick, Osborne and of course Big Alistair.

Bit like this really:

View attachment 1630769

The Roys had some players back in the day. Pert, Roos, Quinlan, Gary Wilson, Ross Lyon, Micky Conlan, Barwick, Osborne and of course Big Alistair.

he was one of my favourite players to watch

he stood out from the pack!

Absolute all time top 10 KPD certainties:

Southby, Regan, Thorp.

Gary Pert and Paul Roos will be under-rated by many, they were top class players.

After that you are on your own amongst those most have seen. All the guys mentioned so far who actually were KPD players were very good.

Verdun Howell and Neil Roberts won Brownlows from kpd posts for the Saints as did Glendinning later for North.

How many as a FB or CHB?

Playing Carlton does he go to either Curnow or McKay?
How 1980’s a view. You do realise defence is as much now about launching attacks as stopping the opposition forwards from scoring?

10 - Luke McPharlin
Will come with some criticism but he was a champion in my mind, maybe growing up in Western Australia in this era has made me a touch bias. Underrated in my mind, a master in the air and held it down at the dockers with not much help.

9- Justin Leppitsch- a rock in a champion team had so much presence and would take on great chf every week. Strong reliable and well skilled the centrepiece around one of the best sides ever backline.

8- Chris Langford
I remember him being the guy know one wanted to match up on, when ever he walked to the stars you thought he is actually a chance. Everyone else it was oh maybe if they get lucky might hold them.I was very young watching him but he stood out in my mind.

7-Tom Stewart
Still early in his career but one of the best I have seen, so versatile so attacking and reads the play as well as anyone I have seen.

6- Jeremy McGovern
A great career so far one of the best interception players of all time. Has stood up in massive moments as well.

5- Dustin Fletcher
Did it for so many years, record games playing on superstars across generations, could handle the locketts deep and the new age franklins and Pavlich types working up the ground and turning back. Inspector gadget arms and tough as nails.

4-Paul Roos
I didn’t get to see much of him but he is rated as high as possible by some very knowledgeable people.

3- Alex Rance
Was an amazing player, I remember seeing him play at 16 he had 6 booted on him by half time by two guys who had less amazing afl careers and I thought they only talk about this guy because of his dad. I have never been so wrong a genuine champion of a player and a shame to see him leave early.

2- Steven Silvagni
Played on the best and they all say he was the best, could be 1 is 1 in a lot of peoples mind. There’s no arguments here one of the best ever.

1- Matthew Scarlett
I go for Geelong and he was so important for us in a golden time. A w***er to play on I imagine he just wanted to beat you no matter what. Thankyou Scarlett!

Honourable mention- Darren Glass Chad Cornes Glenn Jackovich Tom Harley Steven May

Good effort again but these lists are always very modern for an "All Time" list. Also don't know how the hell Tom Harley gets an 'honourable mention'. Would not be top 100 all time - Chad Cornes would also not be top 50.

A few that should be top 10 (and 10x better than the honourable mentions)...

Jack Regan - "The Prince of Full backs" and the first ever superstar KPD.
Kel Moore - 300 games, 3 flags, B&F's, AA's - chosen ahead of Langford in the Hawks TOTC for good reason
David Dench - North TOTC, 4xB&F (including flag years), premiership captain, etc.
Geoff Southby - Carlton TOTC, 2 flags, B&F's (flag years), AA's, etc.

Together with Scarlett, Silvagni, Rance and probably Langford, those 8 are genuinely in all in the argument (in their own tier) for greatest ever full back.

That's not counting some of the incredible CHB's you have missed.

One I'd love to introduce you to is Peter Knights. He:
  • Got picked for Victoria (equivalent of AA) at CHB at 19 and then won the Simpson medal for BOG in the State game as a teenager.
  • Was the best CHB in the league pretty much from then on, especially famous for his high flying marks and counter attack (instead of 'only' shutting down the CHF as was common)
  • At 20, got swung forward for 10 games (Hudson injury) and kicked 46 goals, before resuming being the best CHB in the league.
  • In '75, Knights won the best and fairest in a star-studded line up (including peak Matthews) and was the Hawks best in the Grand Final.
  • In '76, Knights was the best player in the game full stop. He broke his collarbone in the first quarter of Round 14. Despite missing more than a third of the season, he still got 45 Brownlow votes (2 umpires) and was unlucky runner up for the medal. He polled 11 BOG's in 13 completed games and was 9 votes clear of third (17 votes clear of 4th). No key back has dominated the Brownlow medal like that before or since.
  • He returned for finals and was one of the best players throughout on the way to a flag.
  • After several more collision injuries due to his uncompromising and high flying ways, he started being 'rested' for designated periods in each quarter. Despite this, he was still easily the best CHB (and close to the best player) in the game. He was again runner up in the Brownlow medal in 1978 - beaten by 1 vote by an all time great in Malcolm Blight, who played 2 more games.
  • Knights won the B&F that year ahead of Matthews, starred in the finals and had his revenge on Blight's North in the GF, close to BOG at CHB and swinging forward late in the last to kick 2 goals to win Hawthorn the flag.
  • He was of course selected for Victoria and again won the Simpson medal for BOG with a dominant display at CHB.
  • After that, Knight's career was unfortunately cruelled by injury at his peak. he played less than 30% of games from then on (at 26 years old) but when he returned he was still absolute quality. In 1983 for example, he played CHB and CHF and was one of his side's best players. In the first final, he had 18 kicks and kicked 6 goals in a 4 point win. He was very good in the other 2 finals too on the way to a dominant flag victory.
Aside from maybe Ross Glendinning (who should also be in your top 10) or maybe Roos we have not seen a key defender compete for best player in the league awards like the Brownlow and regular state BOG's, let alone someone who if not for injury, would have been a dual Brownlow medallist (and dual Simpson medallist) by the age of 26.

Should be in consideration for your top 10 - certainly when compared to mentions like Tom Harley.

Last edited:
Agree with the general sentiment re. Stewart, but I will throw in a Geelong name that seems way way too easily forgotten from the last quarter of a century:

Harry Taylor.

Could occasionally be susceptible to forwards with extra speed but if he managed to ensure a contest he was as good as Scarlett in terms of his actual defence.

Since I am being a little critical, my top 10 (in no order) would be:

Scarlett, Silvagni, Roos, Knights, Dench, Glendinning, Regan, Rance, Moore and Jakovich.

Next 10:

Southby, Langford, Thorp, Fletcher, Lynch, Mew, Glass, Leppitsch, Lake and maybe McPharlin?

Special mention: Fred Goldsmith - only full back brownlow medallist ever. Not in the 20 as he was shifted to FF for the 2nd half of his career.

Agree with the general sentiment re. Stewart, but I will throw in a Geelong name that seems way way too easily forgotten from the last quarter of a century:

Harry Taylor.

Could occasionally be susceptible to forwards with extra speed but if he managed to ensure a contest he was as good as Scarlett in terms of his actual defence.

Underatted for sure and better than some of the (in all honesty pretty silly) names thrown up in this thread.

Still not in genuine top 10 all time contention though - as I hope my top 10 above evidences.

More competing for a top 30 spot.

Good effort again but these lists are always very modern for an "All Time" list. Also don't know how the hell Tom Harley gets an 'honourable mention'. Would not be top 100 all time - Chad Cornes would also not be top 50.

A few that should be top 10 (and 10x better than the honourable mentions)...

Jack Regan - "The Prince of Full backs" and the first ever superstar KPD.
Kel Moore - 300 games, 3 flags, B&F's, AA's - chosen ahead of Langford in the Hawks TOTC for good reason
David Dench - North TOTC, 4xB&F (including flag years), premiership captain, etc.
Geoff Southby - Carlton TOTC, 2 flags, B&F's (flag years), AA's, etc.

Together with Scarlett, Silvagni, Rance and probably Langford, those 8 are genuinely in all in the argument (in their own tier) for greatest ever full back.

That's not counting some of the incredible CHB's you have missed.

One I'd love to introduce you to is Peter Knights. He:
  • Got picked for Victoria (equivalent of AA) at CHB at 19 and then won the Simpson medal for BOG in the State game as a teenager.
  • Was the best CHB in the league pretty much from then on, especially famous for his high flying marks and counter attack (instead of 'only' shutting down the CHF as was common)
  • At 20, got swung forward for 10 games (Hudson injury) and kicked 46 goals, before resuming being the best CHB in the league.
  • In '75, Knights won the best and fairest in a star-studded line up (including peak Matthews) and was the Hawks best in the Grand Final.
  • In '76, Knights was the best player in the game full stop. He broke his collarbone in the first quarter of Round 14. Despite missing more than a third of the season, he still got 45 Brownlow votes (2 umpires) and was unlucky runner up for the medal. He polled 11 BOG's in 13 completed games and was 9 votes clear of third (17 votes clear of 4th). No key back has dominated the Brownlow medal like that before or since.
  • He returned for finals and was one of the best players throughout on the way to a flag.
  • After several more collision injuries due to his uncompromising and high flying ways, he started being 'rested' for designated periods in each quarter. Despite this, he was still easily the best CHB (and close to the best player) in the game. He was again runner up in the Brownlow medal in 1978 - beaten by 1 vote by an all time great in Malcolm Blight, who played 2 more games.
  • Knights won the B&F that year ahead of Matthews, starred in the finals and had his revenge on Blight's North in the GF, close to BOG at CHB and swinging forward late in the last to kick 2 goals to win Hawthorn the flag.
  • He was of course selected for Victoria and again won the Simpson medal for BOG with a dominant display at CHB.
  • After that, Knight's career was unfortunately cruelled by injury at his peak. he played less than 30% of games from then on (at 26 years old) but when he returned he was still absolute quality. In 1983 for example, he played CHB and CHF and was one of his side's best players. In the first final, he had 18 kicks and kicked 6 goals in a 4 point win. He was very good in the other 2 finals too on the way to a dominant flag victory.
Aside from maybe Ross Glendinning (who should also be in your top 10) or maybe Roos we have not seen a key defender compete for best player in the league awards like the Brownlow and regular state BOG's, let alone someone who if not for injury, would have been a dual Brownlow medallist (and dual Simpson medallist) by the age of 26.

Should be in consideration for your top 10 - certainly when compared to mentions like Tom Harley.

Excellent Post:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back