Opinion Top 10 players from 1987 to now?

Remove this Banner Ad

did u ever see those guys play?
Yeah, I did.

Did you ever see Simon Madden play?

besides McKernan was better than madden?
Pfffftttt... that's a joke, mate.

I'm thinking you didn't see Madden play. I suggest you take a look at his record. He was an absolute champion, and to sound off about all these guys who were better than him – it's wide of the mark. I didn't put Madden top 10, but it's entirely legitimate to mention him.

but best for the last 22 years, he was good but not that much
Gary Lyon, Garry Hocking, Stephen Silvagni, Ben Cousins, Chris Judd, Matthew Pavlich?
What about them? What are you saying?

Don't just give me a list of names as though that constitutes an actual point.

Gary Lyon was brilliant, skilled and a champ
Garry Hocking was outstanding, consistent and legend
Stephen Silvagni is the best defender ever
Ben Cousins is a champ, brownlow medalist, freak of footy, richmond star
Chris Judd, is the best player now
Matthew Pavlich, 8 AA in 10 years

Madden was nothing
Is this your best effort?

Any clown can list a bunch of players and attach some flattering adjectives.

Try again.

Did you see Simon Madden play?

Yes or no.

yes i did
but i dont rate his as much as u mate
i could name 30 players better than him
for eg. Matthew Richardson
Why don't you tell me why Richo is/was better?

I imagine your explanation will be along the lines of: "great, awesome, Tigers star".

Simon Madden was one of the finest ruckmen to ever play the game, and he was also a pretty handy forward. Was Essendon's all-time leading goal-kicker until Lloyd came along.

Anyone who plays 370-odd games must have been doing something right.

he has been at the club since 1993
no looking back
didnt have the chance to play heaps of finals
carried them for 15 years
heart and soul
34, most fit player in the league
runs more than ablett
and is the best mark ever

and robert harvey
dont get me started
a freak
Too funny.

Do another one.

How about Matthew Pavlich?

he has been at the club since 1993
no looking back
didnt have the chance to play heaps of finals
carried them for 15 years
heart and soul
34, most fit player in the league
runs more than ablett
and is the best mark ever

The bits bolded are the only things that actually matter in a "best player" thread, and they are all wild exaggerated untruths. Fittest player in the league? No. Runs more than Ablett? No. Best mark ever? No.

who is the best mark ever?
and richo runs so much for 34 yr old
13 Goal Kicking Awards(clears throat)
I have the best one liner ever but I don't want to risk a red card. Creely, you do understand that this is a list of the best players since 1987, not the best Richmond players. I don't think Richmond's goal kicking awards really help your cause.

what made madden so good?
That he was one of the finest ruckmen to ever play the game, and probably the most durable. And he was also a very handy forward. Anyone who, over 370-odd games, combines being an elite on-baller with being an attacking threat, deserves some props.

I wouldn't have him top 10, but he was a champion. It's not ridiculous to mention him. Not at all.

Counting against him is the fact that he played a lot of footy before 1987, so I don't know if you can include that.

when i could name so many better ones?
Yeah - we've seen your effort: listing players, and then explaining by saying "great, consistent, was a champ".

Thanks for coming.

Robert Harvey, great durable footballer, 2 time Brownlow Medallist, multiple EJ Whitten Medallist, multiple B&Fs and AA selections.

But Malcolm Blight was right, as many possies as Harvey got in his heyday of the late 90s, he just never hurt opposition as much as he should have with that much ball.

Simon Madden retired in '92 so he played for six years within the qualifying period of the OP.

As a ruckman he played 378 games and kicked 575 goals.
Premierships in '84 and '85
B&F in '77, '79, '83 and '84.
Essendon captain '80 and '81.
Essendon leading goalkicker '80, '82 and '91
Essendon team of the century
Norm Smith Medal 1985
2nd in Brownlow in 1988
3rd in Brownlow in 1983
All Australian '83-'84, '87-'88
EJ Whitten Medal in 1990
Playing State of Origin in 1977, 1978, 1981, 1983, 1985 and 1987 for a total of nine games.

And Creely judging by the way you write and your language I'd say you never saw Madden play or weren't old enough to remember. He retired 17 years ago.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Robert Harvey, great durable footballer, 2 time Brownlow Medallist, multiple EJ Whitten Medallist, multiple B&Fs and AA selections.

But Malcolm Blight was right, as many possies as Harvey got in his heyday of the late 90s, he just never hurt opposition as much as he should have with that much ball.

Simon Madden retired in '92 so he played for six years within the qualifying period of the OP.

As a ruckman he played 378 games and kicked 575 goals.
Premierships in '84 and '85
B&F in '77, '79, '83 and '84.
Essendon captain '80 and '81.
Essendon leading goalkicker '80, '82 and '91
Essendon team of the century
Norm Smith Medal 1985
2nd in Brownlow in 1988
3rd in Brownlow in 1983
All Australian '83-'84, '87-'88
EJ Whitten Medal in 1990
Playing State of Origin in 1977, 1978, 1981, 1983, 1985 and 1987 for a total of nine games.

And Creely judging by the way you write and your language I'd say you never saw Madden play or weren't old enough to remember. He retired 17 years ago.

S Madden was one of the all time great ruckman. But for the purposes of this exercise in comparing players who played from 1987 to now (some 22 1/2 seasons) he didn't play enough good footy in the required time frame to qualify for top 10. His last couple of years were well off his peak so there is no way you can qualify him on the basis of 3-4 seasons.

S Madden was one of the all time great ruckman. But for the purposes of this exercise in comparing players who played from 1987 to now (some 22 1/2 seasons) he didn't play enough good footy in the required time frame to qualify for top 10.
I agree.

I guess the conversation shifted to explaining to another poster, who didn't rate Madden, that Madden was actually a pretty useful player.

But I agree that, for the purposes of this thread, his timing was a bit off.

1. Carey
2. Williams
3. Lockett
4. Ablett SNR
5. Dunstall
6. Buckley
7. SOS
9. Hird
10. Voss/Harvey/Judd/Cousins.

To be honest I haven't seen a lot of the early 90's and hardly any of the 80's. Slightly reelying on word of mouth, video footage/highlights, stats, honours/medals.

Could of quite easily forgotten some notable players too...

1. Carey
2. Williams
3. Lockett
4. Ablett SNR
5. Dunstall
6. Buckley
7. SOS
9. Hird
10. Voss/Harvey/Judd/Cousins.

To be honest I haven't seen a lot of the early 90's and hardly any of the 80's. Slightly reelying on word of mouth, video footage/highlights, stats, honours/medals.

Could of quite easily forgotten some notable players too...
You also forgot number 8...;)

1. Gary Ablett sr
2. Wayne Carey
3. Robert Harvey
4. Tony Lockett
5. James Hird
6. Nathan Buckley
7. Michael Voss
8. Greg Williams
9. Jason Dunstall
10. Peter Matera

HM = Jackovich, Silvagni, Richardson, Riccuito, Cousins, Cox, Kelly, Lloyd, Bradley, Modra, Jarman, Long.

Yeah he is, but I doubt he will overtake them because he uses his chest too much as well. On the lead is fine if there is space between the defender. But Riewoldt goes for too many chest marks in pack situations.
Aghh I knew I'd forgotten one. Matthew Richardson. Now that bloke can take a mark when he sticks out the dukes.

Wayne Carey
Gary Ablett Snr
Tony Lockett
Nathan Buckley
James Hird
Greg Williams
Michael Voss
Robert Harvey
Andrew McLeod
Peter Matera
Good effort I think.

Are we talking greatest careers, best at their peak? Played before 87, or after? Because I think that makes it hard to judge, disseminating someone's best before and after 87.

Peter Matera is probably the best player at their peak, that I've ever seen with my own eyes. Which is how I like to judge players. But career wise, not as good. Just from Hird I would say.

Most of my footy has been watched at Subi though, which does tend to favour the midfield types. Can't remember too many completely dominant KPPs over their time at Subi. Only really Jakovich. The WACA was a different story... hard and fast track that the leading forwards loved. Can remember Ablett Snr and Carey having some absolutely bullshitly good games there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back