Top 10 Players Since 2000

Remove this Banner Ad

Are you pre-emptively awarding Stewart an AA jumper for this season?

If you don't rate Stewart (who actually has 5), it really is an indictment on Martin that he 'only' has 4...

It's a meaningless award not even fit to wipe one's arse with.

Unless the Richmond player has more, in which case it's more prestigious than the Nobel Prize.

You know what is great about the Norm Smith?

It means scrubs like Matthew Pavlich, Matthew Richardson, Gary Ablett Jr, Nick Riewoldt, Ben Cousins, Michael Voss and Lance Franklin are rated more fairly because they've all won none, compared to legends of the game like Andrew Embley, Paul Dear, Byron Pickett, Ryan O'Keefe and Isaac Smith.

It means scrubs like Matthew Pavlich, Matthew Richardson, Gary Ablett Jr, Nick Riewoldt, Ben Cousins, Michael Voss and Lance Franklin are rated more fairly because they've all won none, compared to legends of the game like Andrew Embley, Paul Dear, Byron Pickett, Ryan O'Keefe and Isaac Smith.
I was telling everyone before last year's Grand Final that Bobby Hill was going to end up being a better player than Ablett Jnr and Franklin combined, but noone was willing to listen to me!

Now many have won 3?

Not many scrubs have won 2 either lol

Not many scrubs have won 2 either lol
Ayres, McLeod and Hodge (since the award has been a thing, which eliminates over 50% of the history of the game).

All great players, but I don't recall anyone suggesting they are amongst the greatest players of all-time, or even amongst the best handful of players of their respective generations.

Add up how many GFs they all played combined. Then count the NS’s. It will shock you, a few of them had more opportunities than Dusty to get a NS. But they weren’t good enough and it’s damning imo. I can’t bush the most important game of the year off like that. Maybe you can I guess.

Dusty has 4 aa jumpers and yes they mean nothing to me because Tom Stewart has 6

Garbage award awarded by afl suits and journos

I'm just happy Dusty has won 4 AA's. They do mean something even if they have their grey areas.

To my eyes, I wonder if Hodge & Pendles are slightly pumped up to be in a top 10 group.

Hodge was a damn fine team footballer, but I struggle to see him during his playing days, being thought of a top 10 player (individually). Team wise, he was a great general.

Pendles is a fine individual player, but feel that he is a level below the top 10. Would I bracket him with Judd, Buddy or Junior Ablett ?.

To me, Pendles is just a hyped up David Mundy, without the flowing hair. I would not in my wildest dream, consider Mundy for my top 10.

Every player that played across the late 90s early 00s period kinda gets screwed in any of these threads. Doesnt matter if its Voss, Black, Buckley, Lloyd, Riccutto, etc they all have that awkward bit of playing not fully in the time period so its hard to know if they should be included or excluded
Yeah I get that but I still think Voss and Black did enough in 4 years 01 - 04, to be included in any decade list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To my eyes, I wonder if Hodge & Pendles are slightly pumped up to be in a top 10 group.

Hodge was a damn fine team footballer, but I struggle to see him during his playing days, being thought of a top 10 player (individually). Team wise, he was a great general.

Pendles is a fine individual player, but feel that he is a level below the top 10. Would I bracket him with Judd, Buddy or Junior Ablett ?.

To me, Pendles is just a hyped up David Mundy, without the flowing hair. I would not in my wildest dream, consider Mundy for my top 10.

They both fit in my top 10 - easily - because although they aren't the most talented or athletic to play the game since 2000, they definitely have the footy smarts. Hodge was essentially a quarterback and dragged his team along like one would in an American football team, and Pendlebury had the uncanny ability to slow down the play around him and pick the right option almost all the time and bring his teammates to the right spot.

In any event, think most agree that Judd/Buddy/GAJ are probably the top three, and you can raffle who is behind GAJ. Don't think anyone reasonable has seriously tried to put Dusty/Pendles/Goodes etc in the same bracket.

Does this include the Norm Smith?
Yes. Its a one of game and voted by a bunch of people with sometimes questionable decisions. Some votes have been very weird over time The award used to be voted at three quarter time as well.

Like most single game awards its not a huge one I'd consider in assessing someone's career

Yes. Its a one of game and voted by a bunch of people with sometimes questionable decisions. Some votes have been very weird over time The award used to be voted at three quarter time as well.

Like most single game awards its not a huge one I'd consider in assessing someone's career

Not if you support Richmond.

All true except the guy with three norm smith medals also averages more brownlow votes per game than Gary Ablett jnr

That’s the one everyone likes to ignore . They argue that dusty only performed in finals but that is just garbage by peeps trying to cope with the truth

Dusty is the most underrrated goat in history , also the most unselfish , pure team footballer that’s why he is so rare

So so different o Ablett senior and junior and the opposite of the narcissist Carey and Matthew’s

1. GAJ (8 × AA, 6 x B&F 6 seasons captain)
2. Franklin (8 x AA, 1 x B&F)
3. Judd (6 x AA, 5 x B&F 7 seasons captain)
4. Pendlebury (6 x AA, 5 x B&F, 9 seasons captain)
5. Dangerfield (8 x AA, 4 x B&F, 2 seasons captain)
6. Pavlich (6 × AA, 6 x B&F, 9 seasons captain)
7. N. Riewoldt (5 x AA, 6 x B&F, 11 seasons captain)
8. Selwood (6 x AA, 3 x B&F, 11 seasons captain)
9. Max Gawn (6 x AA, 2 x B&F, 5 seasons captain)
10. Marcus Bontempelli (5 x AA, 5 x B&F, 5 seasons captain)

Gawn and Bont likely to climb in the rankings by the time their careers are done.

1. GAJ (8 × AA, 6 x B&F 6 seasons captain)
2. Franklin (8 x AA, 1 x B&F)
3. Judd (6 x AA, 5 x B&F 7 seasons captain)
4. Pendlebury (6 x AA, 5 x B&F, 9 seasons captain)
5. Dangerfield (8 x AA, 4 x B&F, 2 seasons captain)
6. Pavlich (6 × AA, 6 x B&F, 9 seasons captain)
7. N. Riewoldt (5 x AA, 6 x B&F, 11 seasons captain)
8. Selwood (6 x AA, 3 x B&F, 11 seasons captain)
9. Max Gawn (6 x AA, 2 x B&F, 5 seasons captain)
10. Marcus Bontempelli (5 x AA, 5 x B&F, 5 seasons captain)

Gawn and Bont likely to climb in the rankings by the time their careers are done.

Why do you deliberately ignore the rest of Dustys awards.

When we apparently do it with NS’s you have a big sook.

PS Danger being below Judd and Pendles doesn’t follow your own “formula”

Buddy also has more AA squads than GAJ. He should be No 1 then.

Last edited:
Why do you deliberately ignore the rest of Dustys awards.

When we apparently do it with NS’s you have a big sook.

PS Danger being below Judd and Pendles doesn’t follow your own “formula”

Buddy also has more AA squads than GAJ. He should be No 1 then.

The NS is not the measure of a player you think it is.
It’s an opinion award from a one-off game that is not available to players whose team didn’t reach the Granny that year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back