Discussion Top 10 Pound for pound UFC/Pride fighters of all time? Who is the Greatest Pound for Pound of all Time?

Remove this Banner Ad

Should watch his short docco on fight pass (not sure if it's on Youtube) his accident has really humbled him, to the point he's a different person. His wife and even himself admitted pre-accident he was a completely selfish campaigner and horrible family man.

The amount of recovery he achieved from the accident is almost if not more impressive than what he did in the cage, can't recommend the docco enough.

:think:

https://mmajunkie.com/2019/02/matt-...rother-domestic-violence-gun-ufc-hall-of-fame

Jesus christ, had no idea. UFC glossed over that just a tad.

Seems like it's going to only get worse. Really sad.

Yeah, was just coincidental that it all came out today. I never liked Hughes and never heard good things about people who had interacted with him, but hadn't seen the doco you were talking about so figured he may have changed a bit. Doesn't seem like it based on that article.

Yeah didn't last long eh?
Only stirring mate:)

I just googled this

UFC legend Matt Hughes is adamant he NEVER physically abused his wife and nephew -- and claims they're all making up false allegations to drive him out of their lives.

Long story short ... Hughes says he's "not the same person" since his accident -- when a train slammed into his truck in 2017, resulting in a serious brain injury.

"Since my train accident in June of 2017, my life has been changed forever. Some days have been absolute hell," Hughes says.

"The challenges and battles that I have faced have been far greater than anything I ever took on in a cage ... everyday I continue to try to be as normal as someone with a brain injury can be."

TMZ Sports broke the story ... Matt's wife and nephew both obtained restraining ordersagainst him, claiming he's gotten violent and they're scared for their safety.

In fact, Matt's wife claims he attacked her on multiple occasions and threatened to shoot her.

Matt responded to those allegations in a statement posted to social media -- saying the accusations are false.

"Unfortunately, my marriage was not perfect long before the accident, but NEVER, NEVER, NEVER would I, or have I, physically hurt those who I care about most."

"I do not resent those who are trying to hurt me and paint me out to be a monster through these false accusations."

Matt says he also believes his family members are trying to rid him from their lives because he's become a burden due to his brain injury.

"I understand that it is not fun to teach a grown man to learn to do everything all over again. I understand that I am a burden to those around me. I understand that I am an inconvenience to my family."

"I understand now that they are just doing what they need to do in order to rid me of their lives forever so theirs can return to normalcy. I feel awful that my accident turned their world upside-down also."

Hughes added, "To those of you who have helped me, supported me, cared for me, and prayed for me- I truly cannot thank you enough. To my supporters who defended me and never believed these untrue, disgraceful reports for a second- thank you."

"If there is one silver lining that this accident has revealed, it is the ability to see who my true friends are. To know who are faithful and have never given up on me even when I am at my lowest. Thank you. Thank you from the bottom of my heart."

Matt was a 2x UFC Welterweight Champion and piled up a career 45-9 record with victories over legends including Georges St-Pierre, BJ Penn and Matt Serra.

He was recently recognized as a guest of honor on January 14, 2018, at UFC Fight Night in St. Louis.

I wasn't aware of the accident until you mentioned it, and until now, his brain injury. That does change people and can cause them to get violent, like many ex-Nfl players who suffered severe concussions and brain damage. I could believe both sides of it. On one hand, he's lost the plot ( for various reasons ) and threatened them. On the other, they're full of s**t and do want him out of their lives ( for various reasons )

Could have cheated on him etc. CBF caring for him, or yeah, he did do what they said.

I wasn't aware of the accident until you mentioned it, and until now, his brain injury. That does change people and can cause them to get violent, like many ex-Nfl players who suffered severe concussions and brain damage. I could believe both sides of it. On one hand, he's lost the plot ( for various reasons ) and threatened them. On the other, they're full of s**t and do want him out of their lives ( for various reasons )

Could have cheated on him etc. CBF caring for him, or yeah, he did do what they said.

We live in world where it's pretty much trial by social media irrespective of the truth, but it's pretty telling when your both your wife and sibling are concerned for their well-being.

Looking at the timeline, reckon by the sounds of things they've exhausted all avenues and the restraining order was the last resort.

Like you said with concussions, lot of correlation between head injury and mental health (not excusing him just clearly hasn't had any positive effects on him)

Just sad all round.

People commenting that what he did was '' Awesome ''

Disgraceful campaigners. Hughes is a *******. Whatever he gets, he deserves.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pound for pound winner of eating Quarter Pounders?

Edited thread title also asking who is the Greatest Pound for Pound fighter of all time. IMO, It's GSP. I would say Jon Jones but he's failed a couple of drug tests at least.

Then again, all the campaigners are probably drug cheats. Many anyway, GSP included.

imo
1. Fedor - win streak & scalps is unmatched by anyone else. Defining moments -The suplex he took by Randleman would kill people and he somehow reverses a North-South and submits him within 30 seconds. He had Cro Cop, one of the very best strikers at the time legit running from him. could go on and on. The perfect combination of wrestling, submissions and striking, and lightning fast hands for a guy his size.
2. Jones - top of the food chain right now, no real weakness in his game, resume is as good as it gets. Difference between him & Fedor is simply power.
3. Silva - head movement and timing of a god In his prime, beautiful to watch
4. GSP - beat everyone he ever fought, complete fighter and the epitome of how a fighter should carry himself
5. V.Shevchenko - imo she beat Nunes in their 2nd fight, don't care what others say. At 125lb she is easily the best P4P female fighter in the world. Amazing technique and speed, great fighter to learn from too.
6. DC - Would probably be higher in a world without Jones & probably without picograms.
7. Cain - prime Cain was on another level, too bad we didn't see enough of it. Cardio & pressure was insane.
8. T.Ferg - I think Ferg & Jones are currently the 2 most well-rounded martial artists right now. Has the best cardio in the UFC, immense pressure, unorthodox striking, really nasty elbows, under-rated kicks and lethal ground-game, the only guy in the div that can beat Khabib
9. Khabib - goes above Tony if he beats him, but Im of the unpopular opinion that he loses that fight. Either way it needs to happen.
10. Aldo - record speaks for itself

Probably some recency bias. But fighters are always evolving and getting better
Unlucky: Lidell, DJ, Holloway

wouldnt be able to do a top 10, hard thing is diffrent fighters different eras. most mid tier lightweights would prob walk though most the 155's of the ufc 50 - 100 era ect. but if you look at who has fought who and what level there opp were at the time it would prob go something like this
1. Jones
2. GSP
3. Fedor
4. Silva
5. DJ
6. Aldo
7. DC
then the rest are still kinda making there legacy fighters like khabib, Nunes, Holloway ect

Im surprised so many mention cyborg or Rousey but barely a peep about Nunes?

Nunes is a two division champ(Fw but still) and shes beaten Rousey, Cyborg, the current 125 champ in Valentina x2, Holm and shes knocking these fools the * out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back