FTA-TV Top 10 Sci Fi Shows of All Time

Remove this Banner Ad

Has anyone else seen the five stages of Star Trek list?

Star Trek - To boldly go where no-one has gone before.
Star Trek - The Next Generation - To boldly go where no-one has gone before....again.
Star Trek - DS9 - To sit still very boldly.
Star Trek - Voyager - To boldly go where no-one has gone before and get horribly lost in the process.
Star Trek - Enterprise - To boldly go and **** up the entire timeline of Star Trek.

Though actually, Enterprise didn't really do that badly with canon. It's handling of the Borg and Klingons in particular was actually pretty good. XI made far more of a mess of things...

Babylon 5 series 5 shouldn't been made. The last episode of season 5 was going to the end of season 4 until they got another season approved. That would have wrapped things up perfectly.

A perfect example of if a majority of fans wish the show had gone on longer, then it finished at just the right time. Unfortunately far from a lone show there :(
I think the problem was that the show got canceled so season 4 and 5's storylines were squeezed into season 4 to ensure that the entire planned story of the show would be told, then the network uncanceled it and they had to come up with a story for season 5 and what it became was pretty much the storylines that had been dropped to fit the main story into season 4.

Season 4 would have been the Shadow War and Season 5 would have been the Earth Civil War.

Though actually, Enterprise didn't really do that badly with canon. It's handling of the Borg and Klingons in particular was actually pretty good. XI made far more of a mess of things...

As far as canon goes Enterprise was very good, the problem was that TOS and the first 2 seasons of TNG were really bad continuity wise.

1. Star Trek TOS
2. Star Trek TNG
3. Babylon 5
4. Star Gate SG1.
5. The Twighlight Zone
6. Lost (the first 4 seasons)
7. Hitchhikers Guide To the Galaxy
8. Lost in Space - loved it as a kid
9. Time Tunnell - loved it as a kid
10. Star Gate Universe

I'm not a big sci-fi fan, but I'm honestly surprised to see Star Trek: TOS miss out on so many lists. I don't like it and even I can see how revolutionary a programme it was.

I think the problem was that the show got canceled so season 4 and 5's storylines were squeezed into season 4 to ensure that the entire planned story of the show would be told, then the network uncanceled it and they had to come up with a story for season 5 and what it became was pretty much the storylines that had been dropped to fit the main story into season 4.

Season 4 would have been the Shadow War and Season 5 would have been the Earth Civil War.

100% correct, JMS has said as much, plan was always five seasons, then got told it was getting canned after four so crammed in the Earth civil war at the end of Season 4 and then it got renewed. Also the reason the Susan Ivanova character got such a shitty send off, the actress heard the show had been canned signed up to other things and then it got the last season. TV execs know how to ruin a good show!

I'm not a big sci-fi fan, but I'm honestly surprised to see Star Trek: TOS miss out on so many lists. I don't like it and even I can see how revolutionary a programme it was.

It hasn't aged well which is half the problem IMO, I enjoy the original cast movies and still do but I really struggle to get through some of the TOS episodes.

I think a lot of the stories in TOS hold up pretty well. Episodes like City on the Edge of Forever, Balance of Terror and the like are pretty compelling regardless of when you watch it. Aspects of other episodes may not hold up so well (depiction of women, for instance), and the third season just isn't good no matter what, but I think the best episodes still stand out.

The look may make it a bit inpenetrable for newer viewers, but I think those who give it a chance will find a lot there.

The dialogue is pretty hokey, and a lot of the acting is pretty wooden, but I agree that a lot of the stories are excellent and have a lot of depth to them. The fact that so many of TOS's plots have been recycled in other sci-fi shows (indeed also other genres) is testament to how innovative it was.

I think a lot of the stories in TOS hold up pretty well. Episodes like City on the Edge of Forever, Balance of Terror and the like are pretty compelling regardless of when you watch it. Aspects of other episodes may not hold up so well (depiction of women, for instance), and the third season just isn't good no matter what, but I think the best episodes still stand out.

The look may make it a bit inpenetrable for newer viewers, but I think those who give it a chance will find a lot there.

To me TOS still looks pretty good and of course it's been recently remastered.

And season 3 while not on the same level as 1/2 still has some great eps. Eg Spectre Of The Gun, All My Yesterdays & The Paradise Syndrome. We'll just try to forget about Spocks Brain:D

images

My favourites:

Firefly
BSG (new)
Star Trek: TNG
Stargate
Fringe
Futurama
Red Dwarf
BSG (original)
V (1980s version)
X-Files

I thought about putting Lost in there, as it has sci-fi elements like time travel and electromagnetism, but I'm not sure that it qualifies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Red Dwarf (nothing after the JFK episode ever happened, though that episode alone made series 7 worthwhile)
Doctor Who
Babylon 5
Battlestar Galactica (new)
The X-Files
ST:TNG
Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy (yes, the TV version was weaker than either the books or radio versions, but still quality)
ST:TOS

After that, its all a bit "meh" or genuinely bad. At least of the stuff I can think of.

1. Babylon 5
2. Babylon 5
3. Babylon 5
4. Babylon 5
5. Babylon 5
6. Babylon 5
7. Babylon 5
8. Babylon 5
9. Babylon 5
10. Babylon 5

If you disagree you are wrong.

Seriously I can't think of many sci fi that would go for a 4-5 story arc right from the first episode. Most are just trying to get through the first season and be renewed or something like. B5 had a plan right from the beginning and it was glorious.

Doubt we will see anything like it for a long time (if ever).

Babylon 5
Farscape
X Files
Earth Final Conflict
Andromeda
Millennium
Doctor Who
Firefly
Star Trek - DS9

In regards to season 5 of Babylon 5, although the seasons prior were much better, it's still a great season. Enjoyed Londo's eventual fall and the telepath saga (particularly Bester's appearances). Lochley was a good addition too.

1. Blake's 7

Then, in no particular order
Farscape
Futurama
Red Dwarf
The X-Files
BSG re-make
Cowboy Bebop
The Outer Limits (original)

I don't think I can make it to ten. I did enjoy Sliders and, to a lesser extent Stargate SG1, but it's been such a long time since I saw more than the odd episode of either of them that I can't be certain my feelings haven't changed. Never been a fan of any of the Star Treks.

Edit 2: Might as well throw Invader Zim in, that was a fun show.

1. Star Trek Voyager
2. Battlestar Galactica (new)
3. Star Trek TNG
4. Futurama
5. Star Gate Atlantis
6. The X Files
7. Star Trek Enterprise
8. Red Dwarf
9. Star Gate Universe
10. Star Gate SG1

Does early-80s ABC kids show Infinity Limited count as sci-fi?

Starred a young Stefan Dennis AKA Paul Robinson from Neighbours.

Damn catchy opening credits song...

When you wanna know what
When you wanna know how
When you wanna know why
When you wanna know now
INFINITY LIMITED!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back