4. Jeff Crouch
5. Jack Elder
6. Jack McMurray
7. Brett Allen
8. Frank Schwab
9. Hayden Kennedy
10. Henry Nugent

Robinson > Sawyers >>>>>> McLaren

Allen should be higher up in that list. 6 out of the past 7 GF's I think he has umpired in. Great umpire.

No way McLaren would ever get in it. The most over rated umpire out there.

1. Frank Schwab
  2. Gavin Dore
  3. Peter Cameron
  4. Mathew James
  5. Hayden Kennedy
  6. Peter Carey
  7. Rowan Sawers
  8. Kieron Nicholls
  9. Shane McInerney
  10. Darren Goldspink

Mathew James. Too high. He is starting to believe his early publicity a bit too much me thinks. Bounces a bloody good ball though.

Kieron Nicholls. Straight out NO. Too many blunders. Too many tiggy touchwoods then misses the basic free.

No spot for Robbo and Crouch.

Would have to sit down and really think about it but Kennedy just about seems right, always been a fan of him.

Frank Schwab
Gavin Dore
Peter Cameron
Mathew James
Hayden Kennedy
Peter Carey
Rowan Sawers
Kieron Nicholls
Shane McInerney
Darren Goldspink
I think your forgetting about some of the fantastic umpires who have gone past us .... Deller, Robinson etc. etc?

How does Nicholls get on your list .... yeah he has had a good year this year but hasn't done much in the past.

How doesn't Allen get on your list?

Everyone else would properly deserve a stop .... but would properly re-order it a bit.

McLaren might have been good in the past ... I agree with that but at the moment he wouldn't be in the top 10 - AFL agrees didn't get a finals spot last year and I doubt he would this year as well.

I think your forgetting about some of the fantastic umpires who have gone past us .... Deller, Robinson etc. etc?

How does Nicholls get on your list .... yeah he has had a good year this year but hasn't done much in the past.

How doesn't Allen get on your list?

Everyone else would properly deserve a stop .... but would properly re-order it a bit.

It is my choice.

Mathew James. Too high. He is starting to believe his early publicity a bit too much me thinks. Bounces a bloody good ball though.

Kieron Nicholls. Straight out NO. Too many blunders. Too many tiggy touchwoods then misses the basic free.

No spot for Robbo and Crouch.

Would have to sit down and really think about it but Kennedy just about seems right, always been a fan of him.
:rolleyes:
In your eyes you might think that. But in my eyes that's my list. I am not going to change it.

Firstly get off my case.
Secondly who says that I have to follow suit?
Thirdly, It is my choice. Leave it at that.

Geez you must be fun to watch when you umpire. You're upset about what other posters have to say about your performance.:p

Both spectators put forward their case without swearing, raised voice or a drink in hand and you're taking the ball and going home.

Keep this up you'll be doing an afl game with Donlon, Pannell and yourself.:p Good Luck with that.

Off your case? What are you on about buddie ... just contributing to Big Footy.

Am I not aloud to give my opinion as well.

Yes get off my case. This thread is to do with your own top 10 list of all time umpires.
Everyone gets to put whoever they want down on the list.
Now where's your list?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Missing you already "where's the free?" Anyway here's my top 10. Pick at it at will. Considering most did the job on their own or with one other, today's umpires wouldn't be fit to tie these guys shoelaces. Apart from Kennedy.

Most times we didn't even know who had umpired because they didn't carry on like they do today. Now we know all three umpries in the game and they all cop a baking.

Ian Robinson
Peter Cameron
Jeff Crouch
Hayden Kennedy
John Sutcliffe
Grant Vernon
Rowan Sawers
Bill Deller
Darren Goldspink
Brett Allen.

After number 5 you can put them in any order you want.

I'm surprised nobody included Kevin Smith on their lists. He clearly was one of the better umpires of the mid 70's and early 80's.

In history as the last umpire to control a grand final by himself in 1975.

No list would be complete without Goldy. Cops a fair bit but come on, the bloke is an absolute gun, gotta love his gutsy attitude, just adds that much more life to the game. Good to see that not all umpires are robots.

1. Ian Robinson
2. Rowan Sawers
3. Bill Deller
4. Jeff Crouch
5. Jack Elder
6. Jack McMurray
7. Brett Allen
8. Frank Schwab
9. Hayden Kennedy
10. Henry Nugent

Robinson > Sawyers >>>>>> McLaren
What about The fastest book in the west
GLENN JAMES

Ray Scott in WA, won the goalkicking for West Perth before picking up the whistle.

Memorable for the incident where Subi half back Trevor Williams was knocked out behind the play (John Greening style) by East Freos Mike Regan - Subi CHB of the day Peter Eakins delivered summary justice & Scotty ignored the first dose (a headlock & couple of ripping punches), Eako caught up with Regan again, Scotty didnt report him just wagged a finger, no free, but the 3rd time he awarded a free kick. Regan was taken off & was seen leaving Subi, during the 3rd quarter.

Gave the man with the ball every chance.

1. Ian Robinson
2. Peter Cameron
3. Glenn James
4. Bill Dellar
5. Jeff Crouch
It's been a long time since the AFL/VFL have had any decent umpires. Peter Cameron was the last of the good umpires. Todays bunch are the worst lot I have ever seen and are only getting worse. I can only decide about umpires I've seen.

You're not comparing like for like though. The guys back then didn't have to put up with constant rule changes / meddling and interference from the AFL and higher level of scrutinisation by the media. Don't forget back then, lucky to only have 1 or 2 matches a weekend broadcast and there was about 4 cameras and not 24 and no live streaming and analysis to the nth degree.

I would bet that if the above mentioned guys were actually umpiring now people would be howling them down. Likewise, if the current crop were umpiring back in the 80's they would probably be on your favourite list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back