Rookie
Jun 11, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
Countdown list (10 to 1) of the best VFL finals from the 1980s

Fantastic trip down memory lane.

Agree/disagree? Discuss...

Last edited by a moderator:
How does the 89 grand final not make the cut? I would have thought it was a lock for #1

Doesn't include Grand Finals: "On the eve of the 2017 AFL Finals Series, we at Down the Guts have taken a look back at the best finals played in the modern era EXCLUDING GRAND FINALS and ranked them from 10 to 1"

Going the close ones:

Hawthorn v Fitzroy 1983 Qualifying Final - an epic comeback by the Roys but just falling short. Quinlan 8 goals (including 5 in the last).
Fitzroy v Essendon 1986 Elimination Final - Conlan's magic goal to give the Roys a classic win in the wet.
Collingwood v Fitzroy 1981 First Semi Final - Collingwood winning by a point thanks to a late goal by Ross Brewer.
The 1980 and 1981 Preliminary finals - Collingwood and Geelong staged memorable matches in consecutive years at VFL Park.
2 of mine match the list: 1988 Elimination Final and 1984 Second Semi Final.

Going the close ones:

Hawthorn v Fitzroy 1983 Qualifying Final - an epic comeback by the Roys but just falling short. Quinlan 8 goals (including 5 in the last).
Fitzroy v Essendon 1986 Elimination Final - Conlan's magic goal to give the Roys a classic win in the wet.
Collingwood v Fitzroy 1981 First Semi Final - Collingwood winning by a point thanks to a late goal by Ross Brewer.
The 1980 and 1981 Preliminary finals - Collingwood and Geelong staged memorable matches in consecutive years at VFL Park.

Cheers for mentioning the Fitzroy finals which frequently get overlooked. Though in my humble opinion the best of the Fitzroy finals was the 1986 First Semi against Sydney. If you get the chance take a look at this classic.

1984 2nd semi final
1989 grand final
1982 grand final
1984 grand final
1986 2nd semi-final

Those top 5 are all finals of 1 v 2 at the time of the game.

at 6 I come up with 87 prelim final. What a dramatic finish to Melboure and Robert Flower fairy tale ride of weeks leading up to this.

at 7 the 1987 2nd semi-final was another classic between 1 and 2 as Hawks and Carlton had been for over 12 months.
at 8, 9 and 10 we have 3 thriller cut throat finals with Geelong and Collingwood playing in two thrilling preliminary finals in a row of 1980 and 81 and in same era Collingood and Fitzroy playing a thrilling finish to first semi-final to decide 4th place team for season and other survive into the prelim final the next week.

Going the close ones:

Gee Fitzroy played a fair bit in the 80's, they weren't that bad a side obviously.

Gee Fitzroy played a fair bit in the 80's, they weren't that bad a side obviously.

Had some serious talent at various points.
Garry Wilson, Bernie Quinlan, Micky Conlan, Matt Rendell, Gary Sidebottom, Gary Pert, Richard Osborne, Paul Roos, Doug Barwick, David McMahon, Warwick Irwin, Leigh Carlson, Grant Lawrie, Chris Smith, Laurie Serafini, Chris Hansen, Leon Harris, Marchesani, Reeves, Ross Thornton, Ross Lyon, Bradley Gotch, Scott McIvor, Blakey, Jim Wynd, Kappler, Lynch, Hinkley, Michael Gale, Broderick and Doc Whieldon

I remember cameras zooming in on Melbourne supporters in tears after the 1987 prelim. Heartbreaking stuff.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolutely. However with the manner history is being written and re-written by various parties you'd be forgiven for thinking Fitzroy never had a winning season or contributed much to the league.

1984 Second Semi Final - nearly the best game ever - would have to be in the top 3 or 4

I can remember where i was living at the time ( where i watched it ) and thinking i cant wait for the replay in 2 weeks time

As for the best ever final i actually went to -( different decade to the thread ) but the 1970 Second Semi Final wins hans down - close all day - excitement plus - high scoring - 18 goals to 17 i think - McKenna 8 Jesaulenko 7 - and at a time ( as a neutral ) you could feel the Coll / Carl rivalry .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back