Top 100 players since 1980

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 9, 2007
un
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
This is very subjective and some great players will just miss out. This is based on what I can vividly remember. This makes it hard to know where to place players such as Peter Knights who I have vague memories of being a sensational player but who was winding down and injured a lot when the 80s came around. (As of the end of 2017 I have had to remove Knights from the list).

For those whose careers I only saw a part of I am assessing them on the qualitative aspects of their career in that period. Thus, the quality i saw from Blight was so bloody good he deserves a high ranking whilst Knights only gave glimpses of what he must've once been. And Blight rates above a full Brereton career because Brereton rarely produced the extraordinary footy I saw from Blight in the early 80s.

And how does a largely undecorated career on the wing such as Flower and Dougie Hawkins rate against a big-game performer with 4 premierships and a Norm Smith such as Isaac Smith? I’m still debating this a bit in my own head but the memories of those players in the 80s and their gifted, expressive talent still leaves a big imprint on my love for the game.

So here goes;

100/ Robert Dipierdomenico - tough, straight ahead, intimidating, incisive, and a bit of a numbskull. Was a beast in finals.

99/ Roger Merrett - put fear into the opposition. Critical to Bombers success and defining the way for Brisbane. Considering his impact on the game up north and as a 300 game, 400 goal, dual premiership player it's amazing he's not a Hall of Famer.

98/ Brent Harvey - for the first 2/3 of his career I considered Boomer to be an unexceptional player. Talented, no doubt, but below the very best. But his last 150 or so games earned my respect.

97/ Toby Greene - you get high marks in my reckoning if you're a bit of a go-to man, a team lifting spark, and an inspiring leader. Toby has become all of these and now deserves the recognition.

96/ Robbie Gray - Versatile forward/mid who went from being a cameo performer into a match-winner. His ability to impact a game with telling disposals was, at times, breathtaking to watch.

95/ Lachie Neale - His Brownlow Medals don't get him a spot here but they look good on the resume. I don't consider him in the league of Ablett Jr, Judd, Robert Harvey, Goodes, or Fyfe who have the same accolades to their name but his output over a number of years have brought him in to the frame.

94/ Guy McKenna - a pure HBF who was beautifully balanced and a model of composure.

93/ Tom Stewart - He's just about the perfect defensive weapon and has essentially replaced Leppitsch on this list which is no mean feat.

92/ Dean Kemp - underrated but a very highly skilled and pivotal component of a dominant WC era.

91/ Cyril Rioli - in light of his 2015 GF as well as several years of game-turning performances, he earned a spot in the top 100, thus surpassing his uncle Maurice who would be just outside the list.

90/ Gary Buckenara - very gifted and versatile player who had a freakish sense for goals and sure hands when marking.

89/ Brendon Goddard - consistently prolific and a player who adjusted his game from inside to outside to suit the situation. His kicking to advantage was his great strength and his 2010 GF performance is in the best handful I’ve seen in my time watching.

88/ Mark Mercuri - just about the smoothest moving footballer I've seen. He produced big-game performances throughout the 90s but faded later in his career largely due to injuries and possibly also due to the death of his brother.

87/ Nigel Lappin - unfairly in the shadows of elite Lions, he was classy and courageous. A real fave of mine.

86/ Jobe Watson - an immense effort to excel to be the rounded player he became. He was too fat and became chiselled, couldn't kick and became precise, and was too slow so became quick of hand and mind. Brownlow Medallist…

85/ Patrick Cripps - his career is very similar to Jobe's but he has now had the chance to contribute to a semblance of finals success which nudges him ahead.

84/ Christian Petracca - He is putting in consistent seasons now to go with his big game performances and big moment bursts. He's the type of big-bodied mid/forward that every team desires.

83/ Jack Riewoldt - became a better, more rounded player once his role changed to take focus off him as a target forward. Since then he has probably been second only to Dusty in generational impact at the Tiges.

82/ Glen Archer - the shinboner spirit was epitomised in this bloke’s game. He was as important to their defence as Carey was to the forward line. Carey was just a wee bit more gifted though.

81/ Brad Johnson - accomplished as a tall and small and pivotal to a good Doggies era. The Smiling Assassin was an extremely tough match-up.

80/ Sean Burgoyne - Eased his way into this list on the back of consistently being able to provide vital contributions at critical stages in big games like a boss. Iceman.

79/ Corey Enright - dependable and the orchestrator of many Cats attacking plays.

78/ Lenny Hayes - like Archer he was a warrior and I thoroughly respect him. Plus he had a shimmy to die for.

77/ JP Kennedy - has been a revelation playing as a big bodied mid at Sydney. He is very difficult to counter and knows how to kick goals. Finals credibility lifting his ranking.

76/ Paul Chapman - everyone wants one in their team. Hard-arsed match-winner forward or mid and in big games too.

75/ Michael Tuck - consummate professional. Just did everything within his capabilities to perfection.

74/ Nicky Winmar - few I've seen with better all-round skills. A pleasure to watch with raking accurate kicks and aerial prowess.

73/ Michael Long - hard to separate from Winmar for the pleasure in watching indigenous artistry but his finals performances win out. Made time stand still.

72/ Anthony Koutoufides - his years around 99/2000 were awesome and if he'd done it for 10 years would be top 10.

71/ Gerard Healy - classy Brownlow winner who made it look easy. Exceptional at Melbourne which many forget.

70/ Shane Crawford - elite engine and great skills. Despite his post-career image as a pesky numbskull, he had a fantastic footy brain and read the game well.

69/ Tony Modra - spectacular but unlike someone like Capper, was a well-rounded footballer who should've had a premiership to his name. Marked down due to only a few years of peak performance.

68/ Gary Hocking - for so many years he threatened a Brownlow despite his ugly mug. Just an elite competitor.

67/ Dustin Fletcher - an attacking and defensive weapon. Hard to put value on lunging saves & kicks to advantage.

66/ Jimmy Bartel - got all the awards and medals and was Mr Versatile. Great overhead and below the knees.

65/ Ross Glendinning - a Brownlow, an elite kick, and WC pioneer. Was the best pure CHB I had seen before Roos and then became a competent, albeit one-dimensional, full forward at West Coast.

64/ Marcus Bontempelli - you just have to marvel at the natural ability of the Bont, who has brought his gifts to the big stage consistently.

63/ Matthew Richardson - what a talent to watch! Unfortunately things could unravel for him too easily.

62/ Tom Hawkins - expectations were too high on him early in his career but given the passing of years and some big game heroics he thoroughly deserves his place amongst the legends of the game.

61/ Steve Johnson - mercurial, and eccentric but consistently produced in big games and became prolific as a midfielder as well.

60/ Doug Hawkins - Dancing Dougie was a pleasure to watch in the 80s. Baulked, weaved, blind-turned...

59/ Keith Greig - is probably better than this rank but what I remember was the remnants of the perfect gliding, running wingman.

58/ Paul Kelly - similar to Buddha but I liked him a bit more. His break away from contests was electrifying.

57/ Stephen Silvagni - his unique athletic talent in making life awkward for some of the greatest full forwards of all time perhaps takes away from the fact that he was an all-round footballing talent who may well have been a great forward himself.

56/ Matthew Scarlett - I place him first in my full back standings because his composure defined the Cats thrusts forward in one of the most complete attacking sides I’ve seen and yet was never beaten comprehensively that I can remember.

55/ Glen Jakovich - the only kryptonite for Carey and an impassible wall at CHB. The best pure CHB I have seen. Roos became an elite running HBF and Grant was a CHF as much as a CHB. Jako was just an ever-present colossus who was the backbone of an imposing team.

54/ Dane Swan - he produced more often than not, was insanely prolific and kicked goals but there were deficiencies that are elusive to me... I'm sure they'll come to me.

53/ Max Gawn - Not just consistently regarded as the best ruck in the comp year after year but now an inspirational leader in finals.

52/ Paul Salmon - his Hawthorn years give his career completeness in that he reached the heights of his potential in both positions he played in. An elite ruck and forward and kicked many goals in finals.

51/ Wayne Schimmelbusch - a composed, skilled leader who was brilliant in traffic.

50/ John Platten - the perfect rover. He was just so effective and largely unstoppable.

49/ Robert Flower - a sublime artist to watch play. If I'd seen his whole career he'd be higher. Might be just about the least decorated player here but some players just leave an imprint.

48/ Jonathan Brown - a colossus. At his best was one of the very best but I feel a bit short-changed over the years on what he might have been. For the sheer ability to be unstoppable he has to be up there though.

47/ Chris Grant - brilliant at either end of the ground. Probably should be a Brownlow medallist.

46/ Terry Daniher - 'safe' is the word here. Safe hands, safe kick at goal, and others felt safe behind the captain. And tough too but in a sort of laconic way.

45/ Craig Bradley - endurance, speed, skills. Would still be the perfect midfielder today. In fact, I wouldn’t be surprised if he was still playing today.

44/ Sam Mitchell - made himself a better player year after year and nailed practically every possession, bringing others into the game.

43/ Luke Hodge - dual Norm Smith winner and Premiership captain who had a rapid rise up this list backed by enormous finals contributions, hardness, and level-headed leadership despite a somewhat patchy early phase to his career.

42/ Warren Tredrea - the best CHF in the comp for several years post-Carey.

41/ Dean Cox - the second-best ruckman on the list. His midfielder qualities set him apart from most.

40/ Ben Cousins - he had limitations to his game but not his running. Run...spew...run...spew. Inspiring. Just new how to get involved when the team needed him to lift them.

39/ Gavin Wanganeen - forward or back he was a gem. Courage, skill, and smarts.

38/ Bruce Doull - he was so damn cool. Unflustered, rarely beaten. Would surely be higher had i seen more. In the early days you just knew he would win his battle. Class.

37/ Kevin Bartlett - I only saw the end of his career and he's this high. Nuff said.

36/ Simon Black - no longer underrated. One of the classiest big-game players of any era.

35/ Nat Fyfe - remarkably talented all-round player who, second Brownlow or not, has cemented his place in the top half of the list.

34/ Jason Akermanis - a pleasure to watch. His speed and precision were a lethal combo.

33/ Matthew Pavlich - Before Fyfe there was only Pav. One of the most versatile big men to play the game - forward, back, onball, he played well everywhere. Some great finals performances toward the end of career back up his consistent brilliance.

32/ Matthew Lloyd - few better marks at full pace. Few better kicks at goal. Dodgy hammy ruined his twilight.

31/ Joel Selwood - has produced the goods from the start of his career and rarely does he not contribute. What an amazing leader. While those ahead of him on this list had specific attributes that stand out more than Selwood’s, none of them can lay claim to being more inspiringly committed to the cause.

30/ Darren Jarman - exquisite skills. Made the game look easy like few others.

29/ Adam Goodes - truly respect Goodesy. Probably got better as he got older which glosses over some poorer early years.

28/ Paul Roos - was an elite CHB and became the prototype running HBF. If he played for a top team he would be universally rated higher.

27/ Dermott Brereton - for a short CHF he was immense. As a Bomber fan I am only too aware of how good he was as he seemed to save his best for us. Only an arrogant confidence in one’s own ability can make a 186cm player seem 196cm.

26/ Mark Ricciuto - fierce bulldozer with elite skills. A frightening match-up.

25/ Andrew McLeod - 2 Norms and the most dashing small defender I've seen. And he was a better on-baller.

24/ Peter Matera - well balanced, goal kicking wingman who performed in big games. So poised.

23/ Robert Harvey - I used to marvel at how he found his way through traffic. Ultimate pro.

22/ Nick Riewoldt - just a machine. Unfairly criticised too. There has never been a forward who ran non-stop like him.

21/ Stephen Kernahan - such a formidable opponent. Everyone knew he was good even before arriving from SA.

20/ Nathan Buckley - ultimate professional and the prototype footballer. I feel he didn't kick enough goals for his ability.

19/ Chris Judd - was at his best when at WC bursting out of packs but lacked kicking penetration in the second half of his career and his goal-kicking impact waned. But unquestionably a superb player who became a contested ball-winning machine at Carlton.

18/ Patrick Dangerfield - at his best he is unstoppable. Adding to his standing in the game is his prowess as a target forward and has starred in a winning GF to silence any criticism of underachievement.

17/ Peter Daicos - The Macedonian Marvel was the king of the impossible goal. Freaky skills and was a great on-baller early in career.

16/ Scott Pendlebury - this guy is a jet and has produced enough over the years to warrant a high ranking. His finals and Anzac Day performances are a testament to this status. Is he now Collingwood's greatest? I think he just nudges Daicos in my time.

15/ Malcolm Blight - he was capable of unbelievable feats. During the early 80s he was my fave non-Ess player.

14/ Bernie Quinlan - this bloke was incredible to watch. Big mark, long straight kick. Elegant tall match winner.

13/ Simon Madden - best tap ruckman I have seen. Could kick goals. Could mark on blokes' heads. Was my football hero as a kid. And a Norm Smith winner as well.

12/ Greg Williams - THE ball magnet. Could see things in traffic that no mere mortal could.

11/ Tim Watson - the best mid of the 80s. Explosive running goal-kicker, and the player to stop in big games.

10/ Michael Voss - the tough inspiring leader of an all conquering side with great all-round game.

9/ Dustin Martin - became one of the most devastatingly impactful players the game has seen. His finals resumè is as good as any and better disposal has seen him break away from his main contemporaries, Dangerfield and Fyfe.

8/ James Hird - saw the game unfold like few others and could will himself into the game/contest when needed. He was composure, class, intelligence, skill, and leadership all packaged together into a player who could play both small or tall.

7/ Lance Franklin - hard to place but he does such amazing things that few others can that he has to be up there. His career at Sydney has cemented him as a top 10 player. His brilliance now creating folklore in new environs.

6/ Jason Dunstall - most rounded full forward of all. The perfect lead-mark-goal player and had a defensive side.

5/ Tony Lockett - just ahead of JD. Imposing, intimidating, dead-eye and in a perennially crap team.

4/ Leigh Matthews - I was inspired by this bloke as a youngster, brushing aside giants like flies and snapping goals at will through traffic.

3/ Gary Ablett Jr - now ahead of Lethal but largely due to me missing most of Lethal's midfield career.

2/ Wayne Carey - the most inspiring player to play the game... but not the most incredible... coz that man is...

1/ Gary Ablett Sr - you'll never see a player do the things he did again. Everyone else on this list can be emulated but not God.

Apologies to;
Rehn, Goodwin, Ben Hart, C Johnson, Alistair Lynch, Leppitsch, Gary Wilson, Betts, W Johnston, Fevola, Hunter, T Shaw, D Cloke, Millane, P.Moore, Gav Brown, Grundy, Sidebottom, Neagle, Baker, Van Der Haar, N Daniher, M Harvey, West, H Taylor, Mick Turner, Couch, Josh Kelly, Ayres, C Langford, Knights, Roughead, I. Smith, Oliver, Stynes, Neitz, Lyon, Dempsey, J Krakouer, Dench, Cornes, Stevens, Cotchin, M Rioli, Rance, Roach, Weightman, Milne, Loewe, Barker, S Fisher, Hall, O'Loughlin, Glass, JJ Kennedy, J McGovern and others I'm sure.

Feel free to pick away and make suggestions.

Last edited:
No, I don't expect anyone will, but I wanted to put it out there anyway as I have often pondered which players I've regarded as the best I've seen.

In due course I'm going to list the best teams in that period from each club and see if anyone who has watched footy over the same period concurs.

out of the Geelong blokes, I'd have Enright ahead of Chapman and Bartel but good good read on all those players nonetheless :thumbsu:
Fair enough. It's not unusual for opposition supporters to rate your clubs defenders lower because we tend to focus on our own team more and the opposition players that carve us up. People do it to Fletch all the time. But when you pay attention to the unsung unassuming one-percenter players in your own team you tend to rate them higher. I tried to take this into account. I'm sure WC supporters would have Glass in the top 50!

Fletch is way too high I'm sorry. He's played a lot of games, but there are many on the list who have outperformed him. I'm sorry but to have Cox, Cousins, Richo among others below him just makes no sense.

Also I'd have Johnno above West. I think you are seriously underrating Johnno and he should be a lot higher up the list.

Fletch is way too high I'm sorry. He's played a lot of games, but there are many on the list who have outperformed him. I'm sorry but to have Cox, Cousins, Richo among others below him just makes no sense.

Also I'd have Johnno above West. I think you are seriously underrating Johnno and he should be a lot higher up the list.
Your welcome to your opinion but I've watched Fletch closely over the years and I honestly consider him to be the best back-50 General I've seen along with Scarlett. As I said he is hugely underrated by opposition fans largely because he has not taken the big FFs but that has increased his value IMO. It took me a few years to warm to Fletch but his last 15 years have been elite. This list was inevitably going to have people question where I rate Bomber players because they are who I have watched most closely but I have tried my best to be objective in a very subjective task and I stand by my rating of Fletch.

Your welcome to your opinion but I've watched Fletch closely over the years and I honestly consider him to be the best back-50 player I've seen along with Scarlett. As I said he is hugely underrated by opposition fans largely because he has not taken the big FFs but that has increased his value IMO. It took me a few years to warm to Fletch but his last 25 years have been elite. This list was inevitably goin to have people question where I rate Bomber players because they are who I have watched most closely but I have tried my best to be objective and I stand by my rating of Fletch.

Well obviously I don't agree, but fair enough. I would definitely have Fletcher in the top 100, but closer to the 60-70 mark.

Your list is mostly pretty good though, and definitely a good read, nice work :thumbsu:

Only 14 bombers.. disappointed :p
Tried to find a spot for Mark Eustice but he got squeezed out by Johnson. :p
There are 15 Hawks also (I included Ablett Sr as I assume you included Goddard). You'll notice that only Jobe gets in over the past 5-10 years though. Before that we produced a lot of very good players as a constant finals presence. I think the lower ranked Bombers here are all more than worthy of their spot.

61/ Glen Archer - the shinboner spirit was not a North thang it was an Archer thang and it died when he retired.

tumblr_mangdbAYWn1rx80lo.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a great list. Top work.

The only comment I'd make is that I reckon the Port Adelaide team of 02-04 is probably a bit underrated. Wanganeen at 31 is about right, but 42 seems quite low for Tredrea and 88 low for Chad Cornes. I'd have thought Byron Pickett, Peter Burgoyne and Matthew Primus all could've gotten mentions.

Robert Harvey should be top 10.
I can understand this view.
The way I rated them is I placed them in order for their respective teams first and then slotted them in as I went through from 1-100. I rated Riewoldt ahead of Harvey as a Saints player and I rated players such as Brereton and Kernahan ahead of Riewoldt. Some would disagree with Riewoldt ahead of Harvey but I think for the position he plays and the way he plays it Roo is a once in a generation type player and Harvey didnt kick enough goals for mine. Again, it's a subjective thing and I understand why you rate him highly.

It's a great list. Top work.

The only comment I'd make is that I reckon the Port Adelaide team of 02-04 is probably a bit underrated. Wanganeen at 31 is about right, but 42 seems quite low for Tredrea and 88 low for Chad Cornes. I'd have thought Byron Pickett, Peter Burgoyne and Matthew Primus all could've gotten mentions.
I did think long and hard about how to squeeze more Port players in and came to the conclusion that sometimes teams are just evenly spread to perfection. I think many of their players sparkled in those few years but career-wise and ability-wise were behind those in my top 100. A Brad Jonson or Wayne Johnston at Port would've been in their best few players for example.
Can't argue with you about Tredrea. Many would agree he deserves higher. I don't.

I did think long and hard about how to squeeze more Port players in and came to the conclusion that sometimes teams are just evenly spread to perfection. I think many of their players sparkled in those few years but career-wise and ability-wise were behind those in my top 100. A Brad Jonson or Wayne Johnston at Port would've been in their best few players for example.
Can't argue with you about Tredrea. Many would agree he deserves higher. I don't.

And also someone like Josh Francou would no doubt have made the list if he'd managed a couple more injury-free seasons.

You badly under rate Ross Glendenning, he was better than Glen Jakovich.

Could play very well at CHF + CHB.

How do you rate Leon Baker ?.

Funnily enough, I reckon Glendinning was the player who drifted the most from the earliest draft I did of this (along with Knights and Dench probably). I thought I was overrating him tbh. I liked him as a dashing CHB but felt he became an immobile one-dimensional forward. And remember Jakovich was a star in a premiership team and nullified the greatest CHF of all.

Baker was a fabulously talented big game player but his entire career was short and sporadic. I prefer Neale Daniher when it comes to players with short careers. He was better than Terry in his few early years and had a consistent output before the big knee.

My Top 100 since 1995

1. Wayne Carey (NM/Adel)
2. Gary Ablett Jnr. (Geel/GC)
3. Gary Ablett Snr. (Haw/Geel)
4. James Hird (Ess)
5. Jason Dunstall (Haw)
6. Tony Lockett (StK/Syd)
7. Stephen Silvagni (Carl)
8. Greg Williams (Geel/Syd/Carl)
9. Mark Ricciuto (Adel)
10. Michael Voss (Bris)
11. Gavin Wanganeen (Ess/PA)
12. Robert Harvey (StK)
13. Adam Goodes (Syd)
14. Chris Judd (WCE/Carl)
15. Simon Black (Bris)
16. Nathan Buckley (Bris/Coll)
17. Anthony Koutofides (Carl)
18. Chris Grant (WB)
19. Tony Modra (Adel/Frem)
20. Matthew Lloyd (Ess)
21. Stephen Kernahan (Carl)
22. Paul Kelly (Syd)
23. Darren Jarman (Adel/Haw)
24. Scott Pendlebury (Coll)
25. Joel Selwood (Geel)
26. Glenn Jackovich (WCE)
27. Matthew Richardson (Rich)
28. Peter Matera (WCE)
29. Nick Riewoldt (StK)
30. Dean Cox (WCE)
31. Lance Franklin (Haw)
32. Brendan Fevola (Carl)
33. Matthew Scarlett (Geel)
34. Steve Johnson (Geel)
35. Warren Tredrea (PA)
36. Matthew Pavlich (Frem)
37. Andrew McLeod (Adel)
38. Nigel Lappin (Bris)
39. Darren Glass (WC)
40. Jonathan Brown (Bris)
41. Ben Cousins (WCE/Rich)
42. Shane Crawford (Haw)
43. Jason Akermanis (Bris/WB)
44. Jimmy Bartel (Geel)
45. Luke Hodge (Haw)
46. Saverio Rocca (Coll/NM)
47. Garry Lyon (Melb)
48. Corey McKernan (NM/Carl)
49. Craig Bradley (Carl)
50. Brent Harvey (NM)
51. Scott West (WB)
52. Dustin Fletcher (Ess)
53. Jude Bolton (Syd)
54. Sam Mitchell (Haw)
55. Lenny Hayes (StK)
56. Justin Leppitsch (Bris)
57. Phil Matera (WCE)
58. Glenn Archer (NM)
59. Ryan O'Keefe (Syd)
60. Michael O'Loughlin (Syd)
61. Daniel Bradshaw (Bris/Syd)
62. Josh Kennedy (Haw/Syd)
63. Stuart Maxfield (Rich/Syd)
64. Alastair Lynch (Fitz/Bris)
65. Barry Hall (StK/Syd/WB)
66. Patrick Dangerfield (Adel)
67. Daniel Kerr (WC)
68. Mark Mercuri (Ess)
69. Jim Stynes (Melb)
70. Nathan Brown (WB/Rich)
71. David Neitz (Melb)
72. John Longmire (NM)
73. Scott Lucas (Ess)
74. Mal Michael (Coll/Bris/Ess)
75. David Schwarz (Melb)
76. Garry Hocking (Geel)
77. Dane Swan (Coll)
78. Corey Enright (Geel)
79. Anthony Stevens (NM)
80. Paul Chapman (Geel)
81. Brett Ratten (Carl)
82. Simon Goodwin (Adel)
83. Billy Brownless (Geel)
84. Matthew Knights (Rich)
85. Peter Bell (Frem/NM)
86. Brad Johnson (WB)
87. Kieren Jack (Syd)
88. Tom Hawkins (Geel)
89. Fraser Gerhig (StK)
90. Taylor Walker (Adel)
91. Michael Long (Ess)
92. Jarryd Roughead (Haw)
93. Trent Cotchin (Rich)
94. Jarrad McVeigh (Syd)
95. Nicky Winmar (StK/WB)
96. Marc Murphy (Carl)
97. Ben Hart (Adel)
98. Harry Taylor (Geel)
99. Chris Johnson (Bris)
100. Winston Abraham (Frem/NM)

My Top 100 since 1995

A good list of mostly worthy players. I notice that you are quite fond of the enigmatic forwards like Modra and Fevola.
There are several omissions from the period you have chosen that made my list. Jobe Watson, Salmon, Cornes, Goddard and Rehn who are all fantastic players. Would like to know you reason for leaving them out. I'd take Watson over Murphy and Cotchin not only for a better career thus far but also for his vastly superior leadership.

Very good effort by the OP.

I definitely would've found a way to squeeze in Gary Buckenara, but maybe that's just the sandgroper in me :)

Great big-game player. 4 flags for the Hawks, plus played integral role in WA's State of Origin successes during the 80s. Could be a ball magnet on his day, and kick a bag the next week.

Very good effort by the OP.

I definitely would've found a way to squeeze in Gary Buckenara, but maybe that's just the sandgroper in me :)

Great big-game player. 4 flags for the Hawks, plus played integral role in WA's State of Origin successes during the 80s. Could be a ball magnet on his day, and kick a bag the next week.
Buckenara was next Hawk off the rank but I couldn't squeeze him in. Should be amongst those I've listed as unlucky.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back