Top 100 players since 1980

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
Have done my annual post-season update of this list. Dustin Martin has jumped 20 or so places and Fyfe also makes a move up. Haven’t included any new entries but gave serious consideration to Grundy, Gawn, Cripps and Bont.
I always get a laugh when I see Rodger Merrett on your list. 0 AA's 0 B&F's and a very limited player.

It would be like me doing the top 100 and trying to slip in Ian Fairley past everyone.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
Go through smaller eras I watched off top of head and players that come to mind.
Work on my top 100 in next few days.
I'm sure I missed a few right now off top of my head that will add later.

up to end of 1983
Leigh Matthews, Malcolm Blight, Bruce Doull, Robert Flower, Bernie Quinlan, Garry Wilson, Maurice Rioli, Peter Moore, Rod Ashman, Ken Hunter, Kevin Bartlett, Simon Madden, Peter Knights, Ross Glendinning, Trevor Barker, Michael Turner, Wayne Harmes and Keith Greig

1984 to 1990

Gary Ablett, Wayne Johnston, Tim Watson, Leon Baker, Dale Weightman, Stephen Kernahan, Craig Bradley, Terry Daniher, Gary Buckenara, Dermott Brereton, Tony Lockett, Gary Ayres, Greg Williams, Gerard Healy, Peter Daicos, Justin Madden, Doug Hawkins and John Platten

1991 to 1997
Garyt Ablett, Greg Williams, Stephen Kernahan, Craig Bradley, Tony Lockett, Wayne Carey, Stephen Silvagni, Jason Dunstall, Glen Jakovich, Nicky Winmar, Robert Harvey, Guy McKenna, Gary Lyon, Paul Kelly, Peter Matera, Gavin Wanganeen, Michael Long, Mark Bairstow and Darren Jarman

1998 to 2004
Michael Voss, Wayne Carey, Anthony Koutoufies. James Hird, Ben Cousins, Chris Judd, Shane Crawford, Simon Black, Jason Akermanis, Byron Pickett, Matthew Lloyd, Mark Mercuri, Glen Archer, Gavin Wanganeen, Nathan Buckley, Dustin Fletcher, Matthew Richardson and Nathan Brown,

2005 to 2011
Chris Judd, Adam Goodes, Nick Riewoldt, Lenny Hayes, Scott Pendlebury, Johnathon Brown, Andrew McLeod, Brad Johnson, Steve Johnson, Gary Ablett Jnr, Dean Cox, Buddy Franklin, Cyril Rioli, Matthew Scarlett, Brent Harvey and Luke Hodge

2012 to now
Gary Ablett Jnr, Joel Selwood, Nathan Fyfe, Cyril Rioli, Patrick Dangerfield, Buddy Franklin, Shaun Burgoyne, Robbie Gray, Scott Pendlebury, Patrick Cripps, Bob Murphy, Josh Kennedy, Eddie Betts, Dustin Martin, Brodie Grundy, Max Gawn, Jeremy McGovern, Trent Cotchin,Alex Rance and Jeremy Cameron

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2007
un
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
I always get a laugh when I see Rodger Merrett on your list. 0 AA's 0 B&F's and a very limited player.

It would be like me doing the top 100 and trying to slip in Ian Fairley past everyone.
I don’t like to frame a footy debate around stats but Fairley is a fairly poor comparison.
Roger was a fearsome CHF who performed well in finals and built the intimidation factor that brought down a great Hawthorn side. He then went and kicked impressive goal tallies in a s**t Brisbane side before leaving them just as they gained some credibility largely due to his efforts. Fairley had very little presence which is a major reason why he was a failed forward. But the numbers tell you plenty. Over 300 games (100 more than Fairley). 433 goals including a season of 60 at Brissy and 5 goals in grand final. Fairley’s best tally of marks in a season was 95 of which big Rog bettered on 6 occasions with a best of 131 (twice).

He did get an AA in 85;

but I don’t rate AAs all that highly prior to the 90s. I’ve got Dipper around the same rating and he never won a BnF or got AA. Tuck never won a BnF and Tim Watson never got an AA

He most definitely was not a limited player, Bill. He was a great mark and accurate kick for goal. He just wasn’t super athletic.

Feb 15, 2002
Jackson-Steinem
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Bluestar Airlines, Anacott Steel
I don’t like to frame a footy debate around stats but Fairley is a fairly poor comparison.
Roger was a fearsome CHF who performed well in finals and built the intimidation factor that brought down a great Hawthorn side. He then went and kicked impressive goal tallies in a s**t Brisbane side before leaving them just as they gained some credibility largely due to his efforts. Fairley had very little presence which is a major reason why he was a failed forward. But the numbers tell you plenty. Over 300 games (100 more than Fairley). 433 goals including a season of 60 at Brissy and 5 goals in grand final. Fairley’s best tally of marks in a season was 95 of which big Rog bettered on 6 occasions with a best of 131 (twice).

He did get an AA in 85;

but I don’t rate AAs all that highly prior to the 90s. I’ve got Dipper around the same rating and he never won a BnF or got AA. Tuck never won a BnF and Tim Watson never got an AA

He most definitely was not a limited player, Bill. He was a great mark and accurate kick for goal. He just wasn’t super athletic.

to be fair, you only have to go 5 players into your apologies to find a similar player who eclipses Merrett in every area you mention above.

I like the list though, but the Merrett selection is odd.

Jun 9, 2007
un
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
to be fair, you only have to go 5 players into your apologies to find a similar player who eclipses Merrett in every area you mention above.

I like the list though, but the Merrett selection is odd.
Well, as I mentioned in the OP, there will be subjective elements to the list. You need to have context though. Lynch got delivery from one of the best midfields of all time. Merrett was arguably the key ingredient to the success of the Essendon side (as a fearsome CHF) and the rise of the Brisbane side (as a leader). A lot of what made the 84/85 team so good was the traits that were epitomised by big Rog.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2002
A bay at Rotto
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Rottnest
Have done my annual post-season update of this list. Dustin Martin has jumped 20 or so places and Fyfe also makes a move up. Haven’t included any new entries but gave serious consideration to Grundy, Gawn, Cripps and Bont.

I think after his 2nd Brownlow, Fyfe should be at least around Peter Matera territory.

Jun 9, 2007
un
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
I think after his 2nd Brownlow, Fyfe should be at least around Peter Matera territory.
He’s getting there that’s for sure. I don’t take Brownlows massively into account to be honest. It’s prestigious and acknowledges the player as being amongst the best but it really is a narrow award. I thought Grundy, T Kelly, Neale and Bontempelli had better seasons and Martin probably is the most impressive because he tore up the finals (which have no bearing on a Brownlow) despite a season in which he didn’t get an AA.

Matera is a bit ahead for me at this point based on his finals performances, a full career of consistent output, and sublime skill/balance-wow-factor. Thats not to say that Fyfe won’t pip him soon though.

Jun 9, 2007
un
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
Call me bias, but I'd say Jack Riewoldt would be in discussion after winning 3 x Coleman medals.

Tough list to make though
So would Josh Kennedy who I have slightly ahead of Jack. Michael Roach, Alistair Lynch, Fevola, Cameron, Gehrig, Sumich all arguably ahead of him too. Top 100 seems like a lot of players but it’s tough to squeeze all the worthy ones in. Wayne Johnston, Dempsey, and Knights, for example, are oldies that I really found it tough to leave out and down the track I could easily come back to them again.

Hounddd

Club Legend
Sep 22, 2012
🏆🏆🏆
AFL Club
Richmond
So would Josh Kennedy who I have slightly ahead of Jack. Michael Roach, Alistair Lynch, Fevola, Cameron, Gehrig, Sumich all arguably ahead of him too. Top 100 seems like a lot of players but it’s tough to squeeze all the worthy ones in. Wayne Johnston, Dempsey, and Knights, for example, are oldies that I really found it tough to leave out and down the track I could easily come back to them again.
Having Bob Murphy and Jeremy Cameron in ahead of him for 2012-now seems odd. Just my 2 cents of course, but you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who agrees with those 2 having a better output than Jack Riewoldt thus far.

Jack does polarise opposition supporters (which I love), but he's won 3 x Coleman Medals and 2 x Premierships.

Jun 9, 2007
un
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
Having Bob Murphy and Jeremy Cameron in ahead of him for 2012-now seems odd. Just my 2 cents of course, but you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who agrees with those 2 having a better output than Jack Riewoldt thus far.

Jack does polarise opposition supporters (which I love), but he's won 3 x Coleman Medals and 2 x Premierships.
You’re obviously referring to the poster above. I’d have Fletcher and Jobe in his/her list too but like you say, there are players that polarise opposition supporters. And to be fair, Footyfan78 did say ‘off the top of my head’ so may have overlooked Jack.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
You’re obviously referring to the poster above. I’d have Fletcher and Jobe in his/her list too but like you say, there are players that polarise opposition supporters. And to be fair, Footyfan78 did say ‘off the top of my head’ so may have overlooked Jack.
Nah, of current key forwards of this era, Josh Kennedy and Buddy clear standouts to me.
Jack is a good key forward but he is not quite in their class.
Fletcher probably gets in my 1998 to 2004 group if add another name.

Anyway time for me to return to the task.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Justin Madden just sneaks into my top 100 ahead of Chis Mew but expect in a few years I will rate Max Gawn or Jermery Cameron ahead for what level they get to.
Few players I originally forget were Wayne Schimmelbusch, Jimmy Bartel, Paul Roos and Sam Mitchell.
All in my top 100 when remember them today.

The order is about right after spending 30 minutes tinkering but any of players around each other could move up or down a few spots quite easily.
When you rating 100 players there little difference in guys within 20 spots of each other.

Bruce Doull
Gary Ablett
Leigh Matthews
Wayne Carey
Malcolm Blight
Robert Flower
Chris Judd
Tony Lockett
Wayne Johnston
Michael Voss
Kevin Bartlett
Marucie Rioli
Garry Wilson
Stephen Silvagni
Greg Williams
Joel Selwood
Stephen Kernahan
Buddy Franklin
Bernie Quinlan
James Hird
Gary Ablett Jnr
Andrew McLeod
Ken Hunter
Adam Goodes
Dermot Brereton
Simon Madden
Jason Dunstall
Craig Bradley
Cyril Rioli
Peter Matera
Ben Cousins
Nathan Fyfe
Leon Baker
Scott Pendelbury
Matthew Scarlett
Peter Knights
Darren Jarman
Nick Riewoldt
Dale Weightman
Dean Cox
Paul Kelly
Matthew Lloyd
Peter Daicos
Patrick Dangerfield
Keith Greig
Gavin Wanganeen
Ross Glendinning
Johnathon Brown
Anthony Koutofides
Tim Watson
John Platten
Trevor Barker
Luke Hodge
Steve Johnson
Shaun Burgyone
Simon Black
Jimmy Bartel
Nathan Buckley
Glenn Archer
Nicky Winmar
Dustin Martin
Doug Hawkins
Peter Moore
Robert Harvey
Gerard Healy
Patrick Cripps
David Dench
Gary Buckenara
Rod Ashman
Lenny Hayes
Glen Jakovich
Matthew Richardson
Terry Daniher
Gary Lyon
Michael Long
Robbie Gray
Guy McKenna
Gary Ayres
Sam Mitchell
Wayne Harmes
Eddie Betts
Shane Crawford
Jeremy McGovern
Brad Johnson
Jason Akermanis
Brent Harvey
Byron Pickett
Bob Murphy
Trent Cotchin
Nathan Brown
Dustin Fletcher
Josh Kennedy
Brodie Grundy
Alex Rance
Mark Bairstow
Mark Mercuri
Michael Turner
Wayne Schimmelbusch
Paul Roos
Chris Johnson

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2007
un
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
Justin Madden just sneaks into my top 100 ahead of Chis Mew but expect in a few years I will rate Max Gawn or Jermery Cameron ahead for what level they get to.
Few players I originally forget were Wayne Schimmelbusch, Jimmy Bartel, Paul Roos and Sam Mitchell.
All in my top 100 when remember them today.

The order is about right after spending 30 minutes tinkering but any of players around each other could move up or down a few spots quite easily.
When you rating 100 players there little difference in guys within 20 spots of each other.

Bruce Doull
Gary Ablett
Leigh Matthews
Wayne Carey
Malcolm Blight
Robert Flower
Chris Judd
Tony Lockett
Wayne Johnston
Michael Voss
Kevin Bartlett
Marucie Rioli
Garry Wilson
Stephen Silvagni
Greg Williams
Joel Selwood
Stephen Kernahan
Buddy Franklin
Bernie Quinlan
James Hird
Gary Ablett Jnr
Andrew McLeod
Ken Hunter
Adam Goodes
Dermot Brereton
Simon Madden
Jason Dunstall
Craig Bradley
Cyril Rioli
Peter Matera
Ben Cousins
Nathan Fyfe
Leon Baker
Scott Pendelbury
Matthew Scarlett
Peter Knights
Darren Jarman
Nick Riewoldt
Dale Weightman
Dean Cox
Paul Kelly
Matthew Lloyd
Peter Daicos
Patrick Dangerfield
Keith Greig
Gavin Wanganeen
Ross Glendinning
Johnathon Brown
Anthony Koutofides
Tim Watson
John Platten
Trevor Barker
Luke Hodge
Steve Johnson
Shaun Burgyone
Simon Black
Jimmy Bartel
Nathan Buckley
Glenn Archer
Nicky Winmar
Dustin Martin
Doug Hawkins
Peter Moore
Robert Harvey
Gerard Healy
Patrick Cripps
David Dench
Gary Buckenara
Rod Ashman
Lenny Hayes
Glen Jakovich
Matthew Richardson
Terry Daniher
Gary Lyon
Michael Long
Robbie Gray
Guy McKenna
Gary Ayres
Sam Mitchell
Wayne Harmes
Eddie Betts
Shane Crawford
Jeremy McGovern
Brad Johnson
Jason Akermanis
Brent Harvey
Byron Pickett
Bob Murphy
Trent Cotchin
Nathan Brown
Dustin Fletcher
Josh Kennedy
Brodie Grundy
Alex Rance
Mark Bairstow
Mark Mercuri
Michael Turner
Wayne Schimmelbusch
Paul Roos
Justin Madden
Worthy list of players. From a quick browse I’ve noted a few things.

Players like Doull, Knights and Gary Wilson were great players but in the early 80s were shaded by other players. I assume you are going by their entire career back to the 70s whereas I based mine only from 1980 onwards.

Leon Baker holds a special place in my heart and did some great things on the big stage as a big-game player but was not a consistently damaging player and only played 80-odd games. Not many Bomber fans would rate him third behind Hird and Madden in our modern pantheon.

You have rated Danger and Fyfe ahead of Martin which surprises a little. I think Dusty has proven himself as the guy you build premierships around and then inspires the team to one.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Worthy list of players. From a quick browse I’ve noted a few things.

Players like Doull, Knights and Gary Wilson were great players but in the early 80s were shaded by other players. I assume you are going by their entire career back to the 70s whereas I based mine only from 1980 onwards.

Leon Baker holds a special place in my heart and did some great things on the big stage as a big-game player but was not a consistently damaging player and only played 80-odd games. Not many Bomber fans would rate him third behind Hird and Madden in our modern pantheon.

You have rated Danger and Fyfe ahead of Martin which surprises a little. I think Dusty has proven himself as the guy you build premierships around and then inspires the team to one.
Yeah, nah, happy with the order I settled on. Doull was not shaded by any player... before or since as a defender. He was incredible both before I started watching and in the 80's until he finally put the boots up when father time tapped him on shoulder. Wilson is probably best rover I seen and only underrated by many because he was with a lower profile club, Knights is virtually the best swingman ever. Brilliant centre half back that could easily play centre half forward when needed. I was not overly fussed about guys like them that played in 70's and 80's as saw them long in well into 80's to fully get how brilliant they were. Jezza, probably only great from 70's into 80's and Dempsey did I not include because they really were in twilight of their careers by time I started following so consciously left them out as I would be rating too much of their 70's highlights in my mind if I included them in it. Dench himself probably got downrated and would have been higher had his career been deeper into the 80's but think he was finished by end of 1983ish.
Baker saw enough of too rate that high. I rate him that good of all Essendon players I seen.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
I forgot Chris Grant.
You one of unlucky ones like Mew, Pavlich, McIntosh, Enright, Kemp and Ricciutto that just miss my top 100.
Bad luck for Harry Madden as dumping you from my top 100 and feel real bad I forgot Chris Johnson. He just makes my top 100 and Harry dropped.
Nigel Lappin and David Neitz a few other stiff ones to just miss.
So marginal it is cruel.

Jun 9, 2007
un
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
Updated to the end of 2022. First update in a couple of years.

New entries include Jack Riewoldt, who has finally convinced me he is worthy, Hawkins, Gawn, Isaac Smith, and the Bont.

I mulled over Neale, Cripps, Petracca, Oliver and Tom Stewart but couldn’t see who to leave out for them at this point. Their careers still have a bit to play out yet though. Maurice Rioli and Wayne Johnston are 2 oldies who almost returned to the list as well after reflecting on their careers.

Nov 7, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Bill, you have some valid points mate but the only definite change to my list would be placing C Johnson in the 'apology' section.
You made me briefly consider the Wanganeen comparison with SOS and Scarlo but tbh I stand by my ranking here. Wanganeen was a sublime footballer and it was his Port career that gave it substance as a leader and adaptable veteran.

KB was a bit of an exception to the rule as far as end of careers go. Like Matthews and Blight I saw him do match-turning things every time I saw him (a killer GF helps his case).

I don't think many would argue that Dench and Knights and Greig were at their peak in the 70s while played more serviceable roles in the 80s. And I think Flower is ranked where he should be for his 80s career. I saw a whole career from Mark Harvey and saw him do the mercurial as a premiership forward and then proved to be one of the most courageous defenders I've seen.

Mercuri is one of the most talented players I've seen and there is no question of him deserving a spot.

I have already given my account of Fletch. I am quite open to the possibility of some form of bias appearing as I saw Bomber players week in week out in successful sides. It is what it is but I have tried to be as objective as I can. Watson was the stand-out mid of the entire 80s. Blighty did extraordinary things for half a decade. If I saw Blight's Brownlow year it might be different but I saw several years where Watson would've been a deserving medallist.

There are a lot of good players ranked between Madden and Cox. The only other pure ruck in the list is Rehn so relatively speaking Madden and Cox are pretty damn close.

And I have always admired Chappy as a player. Enright does things consummately well but Chappy is a match-winning big game player and I tend to rate them higher especially when they're tough too.

Thanks for responding Wildman. You should have a crack at it. How far back do you go?
Mark Mercuri? Was half as good as Bewick, honestly. Bewick for mine was easily your most dangerous and best smallish forward.

Didn’t Merca spend 3/4 of his career in rehab? You were trying to offload his contract.

IMO, he’s about half as good as Winston Abraham.

And to have Hird above Dustin Martin is just outrageous, Hird isn’t fit to tie Dusty’s shoelaces.

Lloyd > Hird for mine.

Wanganeen should also give the 1993 Brownlow back, how he won that over Carey is a ******* joke.

Jun 9, 2007
un
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
Mark Mercuri? Was half as good as Bewick, honestly. Bewick for mine was easily your most dangerous and best smallish forward.

Didn’t Merca spend 3/4 of his career in rehab? You were trying to offload his contract.

IMO, he’s about half as good as Winston Abraham.

And to have Hird above Dustin Martin is just outrageous, Hird isn’t fit to tie Dusty’s shoelaces.

Lloyd > Hird for mine.

Wanganeen should also give the 1993 Brownlow back, how he won that over Carey is a ******* joke.
All right mate, I’ll just leave all the Essendon players out to make you happy 🙄
Bewick was flashy whereas Mercuri was consistently good from 93-2001. He starred in finals, had an outrageously dominant season in 99 when named AA, and was in the top handful of the most enjoyable players for me to watch. He matches up favourably with Lappin’s career who he is close to on this list except Lappin had one more premiership and didn’t fall away in his last few years. Hence Lappin is above him.

No one at Essendon will ever put Lloyd above Hird. What you smoking’ lad? Martin is pretty ******* high in this list. He still has a career to finish and his home and away form has been patchy compared to every player in his vicinity on the list..

The Wanganeen Brownlow snipe is a low blow. I don’t rate Brownlows significantly in this list. If I did there would be no defenders. Wanga was a legend at two clubs and revolutionised the role of a small defender. Take a look at the dearth of game-changing small defenders in the 80s and come back to me. Then he became a classy on-baller. Is it just because he is an ex-Essendon player that you feel the need to denigrate him?

How about you try writing something positive about the list that I’ve made the effort to upkeep or perhaps give as your own version O Wise One.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2003
Murrumbeena
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Updated to the end of 2022. First update in a couple of years.

New entries include Jack Riewoldt, who has finally convinced me he is worthy, Hawkins, Gawn, Isaac Smith, and the Bont.

I mulled over Neale, Cripps, Petracca, Oliver and Tom Stewart but couldn’t see who to leave out for them at this point. Their careers still have a bit to play out yet though. Maurice Rioli and Wayne Johnston are 2 oldies who almost returned to the list as well after reflecting on their careers.

Love the list and hard to fault.

Riewoldt, Hawkins and Gawn are all very worthy inclusions and Bont should be in sooner or later so now seems fine.

Despite being a Hawthorn supporter, not sure Isaac Smith is in the same company. Don't get me wrong - he has long been an underrated player who I love and one of the game's best wingers for over a decade. Good finals player and now capped off with a NS.

However, top 100 over 42 years is a very, very high standard and some of the unlucky names would surely have to be rated ahead. Simon Goodwin, for example, was a 5xAA (Smith 0) and 3 x B&F winner (Smith 0). Eddie Betts is one of the greatest small forwards of all time - 3 x AA's and 3rd most goals for a small forward ever (#1 for the 42 year period in question). Flower definately ahead as a winger IMO. I know you've also said it is only on post 1980 form but Dempsey, Knight, Wilson, etc were in another echelon as players.

As a Hawthorn supporter, Knights, Langford and Ayers are definately ahead of Smith. In fact, I would have Gibson and probably Breust and Gunston ahead too. Good and underrated player absolutely who was very unfortunate with AA selectors not picking wingers but top 100 is a very high bar and I don't think Smith is in that bracket (as evidenced by Hawkins only just making it this year after 5 x AA's, B&F's, Colemans, 700+ goals and the #1 big man for assists).

Jun 9, 2007
un
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
Love the list and hard to fault.

Riewoldt, Hawkins and Gawn are all very worthy inclusions and Bont should be in sooner or later so now seems fine.

Despite being a Hawthorn supporter, not sure Isaac Smith is in the same company. Don't get me wrong - he has long been an underrated player who I love and one of the game's best wingers for over a decade. Good finals player and now capped off with a NS.

However, top 100 over 42 years is a very, very high standard and some of the unlucky names would surely have to be rated ahead. Simon Goodwin, for example, was a 5xAA (Smith 0) and 3 x B&F winner (Smith 0). Eddie Betts is one of the greatest small forwards of all time - 3 x AA's and 3rd most goals for a small forward ever (#1 for the 42 year period in question). Flower definately ahead as a winger IMO. I know you've also said it is only on post 1980 form but Dempsey, Knight, Wilson, etc were in another echelon as players.

As a Hawthorn supporter, Knights, Langford and Ayers are definately ahead of Smith. In fact, I would have Gibson and probably Breust and Gunston ahead too. Good and underrated player absolutely who was very unfortunate with AA selectors not picking wingers but top 100 is a very high bar and I don't think Smith is in that bracket (as evidenced by Hawkins only just making it this year after 5 x AA's, B&F's, Colemans, 700+ goals and the #1 big man for assists).
You might be right. Recency bias might be at play here. In the passing of time he might fall out on reflection on his career once it’s over. However, at this point I’m thinking he has demonstrated a full career of top-end quality as a goal-kicking wingman, solidified by regular big-game heroics. If you compare him to the other champion goal-kicking wingman, Peter Matera, who is indisputably considered by most in the industry of being in the top bracket of players since 1980, is there really that much difference in their careers? Matera had more poise and class and probably threatened an MVP/ Brownlow or 2 which justifies his higher ranking but Smith actually measures up pretty well with him as of now. I have to admit, he has jumped significantly in my reckoning this year.

Oct 16, 2003
Murrumbeena
AFL Club
Hawthorn
You might be right. Recency bias might be at play here. In the passing of time he might fall out on reflection on his career once it’s over. However, at this point I’m thinking he has demonstrated a full career of top-end quality as a goal-kicking wingman, solidified by regular big-game heroics. If you compare him to the other champion goal-kicking wingman, Peter Matera, who is indisputably considered by most in the industry of being in the top bracket of players since 1980, is there really that much difference in their careers? Matera had more poise and class and probably threatened an MVP/ Brownlow or 2 which justifies his higher ranking but Smith actually measures up pretty well with him as of now. I have to admit, he has jumped significantly in my reckoning this year.

I both agree and disagree all at once :)

Smith has been, or very close to, the best winger year in year out for well over a decade. His games, goals and all stats are pretty similar to Matera. He has been unlucky with AA selection on more than a few occassions, was a key cog in 4 flags, has won a NS and has had other big finals, including a key role in the 2013 GF (the closest of Hawthorn's threepeat). Therefore, I agree that he is underrated in general and closer to Matera that his accolades might suggest.

However, despite this, the gap between the two is still absolutely apparent IMO (and "closer than some might think" does not necessarily mean it's actually close - it's not - just closer than some who underrate Smith may believe it to be). Matera, as you say, is almost the universal answer for the best wingman the game has ever seen. He was All Australian 5 times and to be frank, was one of the first picked and an absolute lock every single time. Smith may have been unlucky not to be named when he was "in the mix" but he was never an "outrageous omission" or an obvious lock that meant he HAD to be selected (again, as Peter was 5 times!). As you also indentified, Matera finished 4th in the BL in '91, 2nd in the BL in '94 and 3rd in the BL in '97. Smith, on the other hand, has never had a season with more than 6 votes. Matera was broadly considered the best player in the best team at the time and one of the best players in the game, year in, year out. Smith has been high level for a long time but was probably the 4th or 5th best player in the best team and never really considered amongst the top 20 players in any particular season.

For these reasons, Matera was a clear level above and that for me is the difference between a top 40-50 player for the period and someone who probably sits in the 120 - 200 bracket.

Back