top 15 North players of all time

Remove this Banner Ad

Where does Longmire sit compared to Spencer?

Pre 1996 knee injury was one of the better full forwards in the game. Coleman medalist at 19. Still shares the MCG goal kicking record with 14 goals in a game.

Im interested in compiling the Greatest Players of all time for respective clubs

Here is my list for North top 15...what do you guys think?

Carey
Greig
Cable
Blight
Archer
Dench
Harvey
Davis
Aylett
Schimellbush
Glendenning
Foote
Stevens
Krakouer
Teasdale

Pretty good. A very hard job to narrow it down to 15.

Out: Davis--only played 3 seasons after stellar career with Essendon. Halo effect of the 1975 premiership magnifies him a bit.

In: Dwyer--just missed winning the Brownlow twice.Great player and clubman.

Clarify: Krakouer as in J

Unlucky: Lewis, Spencer, Murray, Dyer, Martyn

Im interested in compiling the Greatest Players of all time for respective clubs

Here is my list for North top 15...what do you guys think?

Carey
Greig
Cable
Blight
Archer
Dench
Harvey
Davis
Aylett
Schimellbush
Glendenning
Foote
Stevens
Krakouer
Teasdale
From my time being a member i.e. early 70's - you have the names broadly right. Blokes from other clubs are always hard to assess - i.e. Rantall and Dempsey were great players in any sense of the word but should they be included? If your list is in order then my only change would be to put Schimma much further up the list - i personally have him second behind Carey.

From my time being a meber i.e. early 70's - you have the names broadly right. Blokes from other clubs are always hard to assess - i.e. Rantall and Dempsey were great players in any sense of the word but should they be included? If your list is in order then my only change would be to put Schimma much further up the list - i personally have him second behind Carey.
Very valid points mate.

That Schimma is potentially ranked number 2 (and I am in no position to disagree) is testament to his courage, durability and sheer quality as a footballer.

My everlasting memory of Gary Dempsey is the way he used to drop back and take crucial defensive marks (not just spoils) time after time.

For those who might have come in a bit late this summary from a top website gives a flavour of the player and the man:

http://australianfootball.com/players/player/Gary+Dempsey/9966 .

Pretty subjective.
Would throw in crosswell Kekovich and schwass.

Crosswell probably falls in the David dempsey rantall category where he plumed a lot of good footy for another club before joining

Kekovich's best was not long spent due to temprent and injury

Whereas schwass is probably the purest selection for that top 15 as a servant to the club. Man he used to light it up!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's a fair crack at first glance, but which Krakouer did you have in mind?
this one maybe:
Southern_Cracker.png

Very valid points mate.

That Schimma is potentially ranked number 2 (and I am in no position to disagree) is testament to his courage, durability and sheer quality as a footballer.

My everlasting memory of Gary Dempsey is the way he used to drop back and take crucial defensive marks (not just spoils) time after time.

For those who might have come in a bit late this summary from a top website gives a flavour of the player and the man:

http://australianfootball.com/players/player/Gary+Dempsey/9966 .
Exactly right re Schimma - he may not have had the pure class and skills of others on that list but the courage, the repeat efforts, the sheer will to get to the contest and win that contest to help the team was absolutely unbelievable. For younger members on this Forum think Stevo times 3-4.

Carey
Blight
Cable
Greig
Glendinning
Spencer
Dench
Schimma
Archer
Harvey
Schwass who took 2 bnf's off Carey in his absolute prime
Kekovich (absolute gun)
Spencer
McKernan for mine, AFL MVP, Brownlow, unbelievable finals player. 29 posis in 96 gf and 3 goals in 99. Underrated superstar.
Dwyer
Jimmy
Stevo
Mim
Grant
Teasdale
Larkin
Simpson

Remove this Banner Ad

Back