9. Ed Richards
10. Jack Higgins
11. Hunter Clark
12. Charlie Constable
13. Lochie O'Brien
14. Jordan Houlihan
15. Zac Bailey
16. Lachlan Fogarty

For me it feels like there is probably a top 8 rather than the 7 that a lot of people have suggested. Which is annoying given where our pick lies. Can't shake the feeling that Bonar will end up making everyone who passed on him look very silly.

Last edited:
Have watched some more footage etc today so thought I'd revise my list.
  1. Luke Davies-Uniacke ( = )
  2. Paddy Dow ( = )
  3. Nick Coffield ( + 1 )
  4. Jayden Stephenson ( + 1 )
  5. Andrew Brayshaw ( + 1 )
  6. Cam Rayner ( + 1 )
  7. Adam Cerra ( - 4 )
  8. Nathan Murphy ( = )
  9. Oscar Allen ( + 2 )
  10. Charlie Constable ( + 6 )
  11. Darcy Fogarty ( + 1 )
  12. Jack Higgins ( + 1 )
  13. Ed Richards ( - 4 )
  14. Lochie O'Brien ( + 1 )
  15. Aiden Bonar ( - 5 )
  16. Jordan Houlahan ( - 2 )

Have watched some more footage etc today so thought I'd revise my list.
  2. Paddy Dow ( = )
  3. Nick Coffield ( + 1 )
  4. Jayden Stephenson ( + 1 )
  5. Andrew Brayshaw ( + 1 )
  6. Cam Rayner ( + 1 )
  7. Adam Cerra ( - 4 )
  8. Nathan Murphy ( = )
  9. Oscar Allen ( + 2 )
  10. Charlie Constable ( + 6 )
  11. Darcy Fogarty ( + 1 )
  12. Jack Higgins ( + 1 )
  13. Ed Richards ( - 4 )
  14. Lochie O'Brien ( + 1 )
  15. Aiden Bonar ( - 5 )
  16. Jordan Houlahan ( - 2 )

Interesting that Constable jumped up so much, what made you change your mind?
I have a feeling Dal will pull the trigger on him at #9 so I’m trying to get stoked about it.

Interesting that Constable jumped up so much, what made you change your mind?
I have a feeling Dal will pull the trigger on him at #9 so I’m trying to get stoked about it.
My opinion on Constable didn't really change that much actually - rather, others around him tumbled.

The more I watch, the more I realise just how many question marks surround this year's "top" prospects and how difficult it could be to find a good, let alone great, player. Somebody like Constable struck me as a non-elite, good player without a genuine point of difference from our current crop, which made other prospects sexier. I'm starting to think, though, that picking up a player that you think will develop into at least a good player, with few genuine limitations, may be the way to go in this draft, and I see that with Constable. He'd give us some more height through the middle of the ground, versatility, contested ball winning ability and the knowledge that he isn't going to burn you when he has to dispose of it by foot like many of our other inside midfielders.

I don't think he becomes elite and I don't think he's an amazing fit, but I think he may well end up the best player available. It could be termed a risk-averse strategy but I'm growing less convinced that the risk is justified with many of this year's prospects, even if they sound good on paper.

I am revisiting the conundrum of needs vs best available.

Should we be ignoring talls? We may in fact have needs and best available at 9 or 16 may clearly be a KPP.

Our backline: Morris must be in his last year. Young is developing, could be good but the jury must still be out, he is pretty skinny at the moment. Roberts and Collins might just be backup tall defenders. We have Adams, Trengove and Cordy only as established taller backs. People talk about getting one of Adams or Cordy (back) into a KFP. Perhaps our backline is ok for talls for the foreseeable future only if neither of Cordy or Adams is moved forward.

Our forward line: Boyd/Roughead (resting rucks). Schache, highly promising, is still developing, could play 22 games in 2018, might not, jury is out, could be a boom, could be serviceable, could be a bust as far as his long term career goes. Redpath is serviceable but has a bit of a one dimensional game, leading, which is where he uses his height, reach and weight. He does not feature much in contested marking situations. If Cordy or Adams stays back, perhaps we are short a KPF.

Brander is a highly rated tall, could be available at 9, less likely at 16.

If we use 9 on a mid or versatile forward, then at 16 there could be Balta available.

Both Brander and Balta are identified as potential KPF players.

I am finding the more I try to look at what may be available at our picks and what our needs are, the more confusing it becomes. Various media sources rank players quite differently beyond the first 3 or 4 choices, can't wait for draft night to find it all out.

I am revisiting the conundrum of needs vs best available.

Should we be ignoring talls? We may in fact have needs and best available at 9 or 16 may clearly be a KPP.

Our backline: Morris must be in his last year. Young is developing, could be good but the jury must still be out, he is pretty skinny at the moment. Roberts and Collins might just be backup tall defenders. We have Adams, Trengove and Cordy only as established taller backs. People talk about getting one of Adams or Cordy (back) into a KFP. Perhaps our backline is ok for talls for the foreseeable future only if neither of Cordy or Adams is moved forward.

Our forward line: Boyd/Roughead (resting rucks). Schache, highly promising, is still developing, could play 22 games in 2018, might not, jury is out, could be a boom, could be serviceable, could be a bust as far as his long term career goes. Redpath is serviceable but has a bit of a one dimensional game, leading, which is where he uses his height, reach and weight. He does not feature much in contested marking situations. If Cordy or Adams stays back, perhaps we are short a KPF.

Brander is a highly rated tall, could be available at 9, less likely at 16.

If we use 9 on a mid or versatile forward, then at 16 there could be Balta available.

Both Brander and Balta are identified as potential KPF players.

I am finding the more I try to look at what may be available at our picks and what our needs are, the more confusing it becomes. Various media sources rank players quite differently beyond the first 3 or 4 choices, can't wait for draft night to find it all out.
This will sound a little funny, but i would almost rather have picks
in the twenties and thirties this year as they are a little easier to
define. I don't see it with some of the highly rated players.

in the twenties and thirties this year as they are a little easier to
define. I don't see it with some of the highly rated players.

And more pressure to get it right with the high picks.

in the twenties and thirties this year as they are a little easier to define. I don't see it with some of the highly rated players.
Yojimbo I always enjoy reading your posts even if I disagree, because they are creative, original and always ... well ... different.

But I'm just glad you aren't Simon Dalrymple.*

* I just had a stunning thought. Maybe you are Simon Dalrymple! :eek::eek: Yes, it all makes sense now!

Yojimbo I always enjoy reading your posts even if I disagree, because they are creative, original and always ... well ... different.

But I'm just glad you aren't Simon Dalrymple.*

* I just had a stunning thought. Maybe you are Simon Dalrymple! :eek::eek: Yes, it all makes sense now!
Fear not dogwatch, i am not Simon Dalrymple. The point i was
trying to make was i like to look at the draft from all the teams
perspective and teams like Geelong, Richmond,and West Coast
are easier to draft for than the teams with the high picks.

I am trying to refine my thinking and want to have another go.

I will assume that Rayner, Dow & LDU are no chance to slide to pick 9. Any of the other touted mids could slide to 9 as there are 2 or 3 talls that could go early and there is a bit of variability in the way various media pundits rate them.

1. Coffield - superb outside mid, sublime skills and vision when running with the ball.
2. Brander - I think we need another quality tall forward. This bloke has it for that combination of size, marking power and mobility.
3. Balta - Quality KPP. He is big, good overhead, fast and a good kick. Established as a defender, he apparently can play as a forward too.
4. Bonar - the obvious Stringer replacement. But is he too injury prone? I'd take the chance if my first 3 are gone, even with pick 9.
5. Clark - bold and dashing style impresses. Booming kick and plays both sides of his body - hard to tell which is his natural foot.
6. Stephenson - intriguing versatile forward / mid. He is very fast and nicely balanced, appears to have that killer instinct when he smells the goals.
7. Cerra - good sized mid already with an all round game, gets plenty of touches.
8. Garner - heaps of pace, likes to run with the ball and is a good mark for his size.
9. Richards - a Picken-like player. Is a long kick of the ball.
10. Houlahan - Contested marking ability makes him effectively a 3rd tall forward but has the mobility to worry matchups focused on spoiling marks.
11. O'Brien - pacey and a nice kick.
12. Higgins - live wire nuggety small forward, good overhead and gets involved. Would meet a need with ??? over a number of our small forwards.
13. Naish - fast smaller midfielder with good vision and disposal skills
14. Ling - another pacey outside mid
15. Bailey - more pace, likes to run with the ball and take 'em on.
16. Murphy - another stylish 3rd tall forward

I have made one or two notable omissions, e.g. Brayshaw and Constable. They just seem to duplicate existing strengths in our inside midfield brigade.

Last edited:
My phantom 16
As I see it playing out

1. Rayner (lions)
2. Brayshaw (freo)
3. Davies Uniacke (Carlton)
4. Dow (nth)
5. Cerra (freo)
6. Stephenson (pies)
7. Coffield (saints)
8. Clark (saints)
9. Murphy (dogs)
10. D. Fogarty (blues)
11. J. Higgins (gws)
12. J.brander (crows)
13. O.allen (eagles)
14. J.houlihan Swans)
15. C.constable (Brisbane)
16. L.fogarty (Dogs)

Last edited:
My phantom 16
As I see it playing out

1. Rayner (lions)
2. Brayshaw (freo)
3. Davies Uniacke (Carlton)
4. Dow (nth)
5. Cerra (freo)
6. Stephenson (pies)
7. Coffield (saints)
8. Clark (saints)
9. Murphy (dogs)
10. D. Fogarty (blues)
11. J. Higgins (gws)
12. J.brander (crows)
13. O.allen (eagles)
14. J.houlihan Swans)
15. C.constable (Brisbane)
16. J.fogarty (Dogs)
Presume you mean L.Fog at 16... or is there a third one?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Based on rumours and innuendo:

1. Brayshaw
2. LDU
3. Raynor
4. Dow
5. Cerra
6. Murphy
7. Stephenson
8. Clark
9. Coffield
10. D. Fogarty
11. Ed Richards
12. Naughton
13. O Allen
14. Bailey
15. Constable
16. L Fogarty

L Fogarty at 15 is a risk to us - could see a Garner or Houlihan as back ups for pick 16, Higgins if he does slide.

Based on rumours and innuendo:

1. Brayshaw
2. LDU
3. Raynor
4. Dow
5. Cerra
6. Murphy
7. Stephenson
8. Clark
9. Coffield
10. D. Fogarty
11. Ed Richards
12. Naughton
13. O Allen
14. Bailey
15. Constable
16. L Fogarty

L Fogarty at 15 is a risk to us - could see a Garner or Houlihan as back ups for pick 16, Higgins if he does slide.

Based mine on rumour and innendo too.
I have three different people involved at different levels of recruiting, coaching and scouting feeding me.

Here are some things ive been told - by blokes who were told by the clubs involved.

- Dow told lions he wasn't going there
- Lions have ruled out LDU at one - down to brayshaw (30%) and rayner (70%)
- Cerra is a flight risk with a close italian family - interstae clubs wary
- Constable believes he is most likely to be a dog
- Saints and Swans big into Murphy

My heart wants us to get
9. Coffield/Murphy and
16. Fogarty/Houlihan

Not a fan of Constable myself.
if you dont have pace at least be an aerobic athlete - his 2km time showed he isnt that either.

Fogarty would bring much needed forward pressure

Patrick Cripps didn't have either and he goes alright now...
Really? The eyeball test indicates he gets to plenty of contests.
Constable rumours earlier died down but we should be resigned to getting him.

Really? The eyeball test indicates he gets to plenty of contests.
Constable rumours earlier died down but we should be resigned to getting him.

He does, people are overplaying it a bit. He is usually gets the ball a lot himself which is an indication that he won't have much of a problem at AFL level. Best case scenario if we take him at 16 is that we get a player in a similar mold to Cripps but more versatile and better disposal.

He does, people are overplaying it a bit. He is usually gets the ball a lot himself which is an indication that he won't have much of a problem at AFL level. Best case scenario if we take him at 16 is that we get a player in a similar mold to Cripps but more versatile and better disposal.

Gee clearly you rate him very very highly but you are really only looking at offensively.
AFL midfielders with their tanks and engines destroy kids who run 8 minute for 2km.

Everybody I know close to him says he is a ripper kid and they have their fingers crossed but 4/5 I have spoken to wouldnt take him inside 20.
I think as Mofra says though the jungle drums are beating that we are keen so may have to get used to the idea.

Gee clearly you rate him very very highly but you are really only looking at offensively.
AFL midfielders with their tanks and engines destroy kids who run 8 minute for 2km.

Everybody I know close to him says he is a ripper kid and they have their fingers crossed but 4/5 I have spoken to wouldnt take him inside 20.
I think as Mofra says though the jungle drums are beating that we are keen so may have to get used to the idea.

He was getting pretty hampered by an injury late in the year. You could see it in the way he was moving, some sort of hip or back injury.

Anyway the testing that they did was for all the players who where just coming off injuries and where massively underdone compared to the others at the combine proper. You can pretty much wipe a minute or so off their times.

I have a thing with tall inside mids. I think a lot of people around here would have noticed that by now.

He was getting pretty hampered by an injury late in the year. You could see it in the way he was moving, some sort of hip or back injury.

Anyway the testing that they did was for all the players who where just coming off injuries and where massively underdone compared to the others at the combine proper. You can pretty much wipe a minute or so off their times.

I have a thing with tall inside mids. I think a lot of people around here would have noticed that by now.

And I have a thing for pace, line breaking and ball use in this draft.
Charlie ticks the last box but not the other two.

Cripps got a 13.2 beep which was only slightly better then Constable's 12.9 beep earlier in the year. Cripps' 3km time trial was pretty bad as well, the only thing he did any good in was agility. Testing can be a bit overrated at times.

To the naked eye, Constable's endurance isn't really something that concerns me much.

Last edited:
Final wishlist:
  2. Paddy Dow ( = )
  3. Nick Coffield ( = )
  4. Andrew Brayshaw ( + 1 )
  5. Cam Rayner ( + 1 )
  6. Adam Cerra ( + 1 )
  7. Nathan Murphy ( + 1 )
  8. Oscar Allen ( + 1 )
  9. Darcy Fogarty ( + 2 )
  10. Ed Richards ( + 3 )