Top 20 Players in the game

Remove this Banner Ad

On this year's form I wouldn't have Stewart close to the top 20. Just about every loss in the second half of the season (we lost 5 of our last 6 for starters) involved him making absolute howlers on a not infrequent basis. The commentators love him so it's mostly ignored.

I'd have Sicily ahead in a heartbeat. Still think Sam Taylor is the overall best key defender right now.

I like both Sicily and Stewart, perhaps leaving Sicily off was harsh when including Stewart, but if we were picking for next year, Stewart's ability to remain fit and reliable and of a high standard has him clearly in front of Sicily at this point imo.

When the Hawks rise so to will Sicily.

I like both Sicily and Stewart, perhaps leaving Sicily off was harsh when including Stewart, but if we were picking for next year, Stewart's ability to remain fit and reliable and of a high standard has him clearly in front of Sicily at this point imo.

When the Hawks rise so to will Sicily.

They're also different players too; Stewart is a pure half back flanker, Sicily is a key defender.

He kicked 6 against your team

Don’t care whether he kicked 12. In finals when it counted he went missing. Massive question marks. De Goey as a midfielder has kicked more goals in two Grand Finals than Curnow as the teams target and main forward has kicked in 3 finals.

Don’t care whether he kicked 12. In finals when it counted he went missing. Massive question marks. De Goey as a midfielder has kicked more goals in two Grand Finals than Curnow as the teams target and main forward has kicked in 3 finals.
You'd be the only AFL fan not to have Curnow in the top 20 players in the league. Good luck to you

On this year's form I wouldn't have Stewart close to the top 20. Just about every loss in the second half of the season (we lost 5 of our last 6 for starters) involved him making absolute howlers on a not infrequent basis. The commentators love him so it's mostly ignored.

I'd have Sicily ahead in a heartbeat. Still think Sam Taylor is the overall best key defender right now.
Agree with SAM Taylor, is definitely a top 10. You can build an entire defence around him. Taylor, May, Andrews and Weitering are the 4 KDs who should be in the top 20 players.

Don't agree with Stewart. Every other team playing Geelong focuses on trying to negate his influence. That is a huge wrap from 17 other coaching departments. Any drop in form may be more to do with injuries he has copped. The equal of Sicily IMO.

For all that though, he didn't just fool commentators.

Stewart also fooled the coaches (2nd most coaches votes of any pure defender; Houston 1st), umpires (4th most Brownlow votes of pure defenders), his club staff (won the B&F by a mile), AA selectors, Geelong's fans (winner of club MVP) and a good chunk of neutrals (was in most sides in the AA thread).

Even getting injured at the very start of one game, he averaged the most intercept possessions, 2nd most rebound 50s and 2nd most effective kicks of any player. More contested possessions and contested marks than his 2022 season while having 1.09 less clangers per game.

You're right that his turnover rate spiked late in the year but overall he was one of our few players to fire a shot.

Sicily plays on talls - he plays more of a Jack Henry or Ratugolea (but much better) role, not a Stewart role. They would easily fit into the same side, just as they would in 2022.

Agree with SAM Taylor, is definitely a top 10. You can build an entire defence around him. Taylor, May, Andrews and Weitering are the 4 KDs who should be in the top 20 players.

Don't agree with Stewart. Every other team playing Geelong focuses on trying to negate his influence. That is a huge wrap from 17 other coaching departments. Any drop in form may be more to do with injuries he has copped. The equal of Sicily IMO.
And with Tuohy's massive decline and Duncan stuck trying to help midfield, there were almost no other rebound options. Take him out with opposition sides midfield dominance and we would've been slaughtered not just a few weeks - but every week.

What it is - to me at least - is that Stewart is two different players. When the ball is coming in slow and he can zone off he's devastating - and creates a mountain of drive. Far more than anyone else we have really. When the ball comes in fast and often at ground level he's not the same player, and in the second half of this year in particular, became very jittery and fumbly.

Like all players in the modern game, it depends on what his teammates are doing. We need far more of the first part and a lot less of the second.

Last edited:
1. T Greene
2. Oliver
3. N Daicos
4. Petracca
5. Gulden
6. Bontempelli
7. S Taylor
8. Andrews
9. Neale
10. Butters
11. T Miller
12. Sicily
13. May
14. Dawson
15. J Cameron
16. Marshall
17. K Coleman
18. Lukosius
19. C Cameron
20. Rankine

On SM-A225F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not sure about Lukosius and Rankine but other than that I like that list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Serong out of mind out of sight??
AA Bnf herald sun player of the year
(For reference go look at past winners of herald sun player of the year, less misses than the Brownlow )
1st for disposal
7th for Brownlow
8th for coaches votes
Can’t even get a mention in a top 20?
He's not in the top 20 for me, definetely in the conversation for around the 20-30 mark though. Personally I would have a dozen midfielders ahead of him without including other positions.

Doesn't mean he's not a great player and doesn't have the ability to become one of the best. He's definetely an Elite midfielder.

Show us your top 20.

Last edited:
He's not in the top 20 for me, definetely in the conversation for around the 20-30 mark though. Personally I would have a dozen midfielders ahead of him without including other positions.

Doesn't mean he's not a great player and doesn't have the ability to become one of the best. He's definetely an Elite midfielder.

Show us your top 20.
I don’t watch. Enough oppo footy to pretend to know what I’m talking about I love what Caleb’s doing and when the Hun had him at 1 coaches had him at 8 umps at 7 I thought he would at least get a mention in a top 20 thread

1. Bont
2. Oliver
3. Gawn
4. J Cameron
5. Greene
6. Petracca
7. Merrett
8. Dawson
9. N Daicos
10. Neale
11. Curnow
12. Butters
13. Andrews
14. Taylor
15. May
16. English
17. Stewart
18. Gulden
19. Danger
20. Libba

HM: Steele, Rozee, C Cameron, Dunkley, A Brayshaw, Serong, Cripps

Would not have Charlie Curnow anywhere near the top 20. A flat track bully who cannot deliver in finals cannot make the list. Give me a De Goey over him who delivers when it counts every day of the week.
By that rationale, Harry McKay is ranked higher because he had arguably the biggest finals impact (his game in the PF was better).

Most Collingwood supporters on here would kill to have Curnow lining up at FF. Even Fadgey claimed him to be one of the best players in the comp, which is kinda funny after reading this comment.

Actually, it would be interesting to see your top 20 to see how many players on that list killed it in finals. You have to make it to finals first, and Curnow pretty much single-handedly got us there with his game vs GC. A body of work consisting of 23 rounds shouldn't just be discarded simply because he didn't perform as well as he would've liked.

1. Bont
2. Oliver
3. Gawn
4. J Cameron
5. Greene
6. Petracca
7. Merrett
8. Dawson
9. N Daicos
10. Neale
11. Curnow
12. Butters
13. Andrews
14. Taylor
15. May
16. English
17. Stewart
18. Gulden
19. Danger
20. Libba

HM: Steele, Rozee, C Cameron, Dunkley, A Brayshaw, Serong, Cripps
I'm intersted that you rate Merret so highly. Not saying he isn't good, but I'd take someone like Cogs from GWS ahaead of him for impact (think their stats are pretty similar overall)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back