Top 20 Players in the game

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey Meteoric Rise - we're three pages in, and not a single mention of 'top 10 talent' Shai Bolton, not even as an unlucky omission.

Wowee.

I think Merrett is a much MUCH better footballer than Cogs. Cogs was being dropped a couple years back.
They are both somewhat underrated.

Coniglio was top 8 for score involvements in the league basically all season. Oddly he seems underrated by everybody though as he only received 10 Brownlow votes and 51 coaches votes. He, Kelly and Green split the midfield votes while Taylor and Greene took many for a defender and forward respectively. With Green as the up and comer I think everyone slept on unfashionable Cogs a bit.

Merrett meanwhile has a few stellar seasons under his belt now and does draw the attention of coaches and umpires for votes. He certainly is more high impact than Parish. Essendon's laughing stock status can't help. Only a few have given Langford the credit he deserved this season for instance. There might be a hangover from the doping scandal, even if it's sub conscious.

They are both midfielders any finals side would love to field.

1. T Greene
2. Oliver
3. N Daicos
4. Petracca
5. Gulden
6. Bontempelli
7. S Taylor
8. Andrews
9. Neale
10. Butters
11. T Miller
12. Sicily
13. May
14. Dawson
15. J Cameron
16. Marshall
17. K Coleman
18. Lukosius
19. C Cameron
20. Rankine

On SM-A225F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Collingwood fans now at the point of saying Jack Lukosius is a better player than Charlie Curnow.

Collingwood fans now at the point of saying Jack Lukosius is a better player than Charlie Curnow.
The question is "who you would take for season 2024", Lukosius is hitting his peak while Curnow flopped spectacularly in the finals

I had Curnow top 3 heading into the finals but now there are huge question marks

The question is "who you would take for season 2024", Lukosius is hitting his peak while Curnow flopped spectacularly in the finals

I had Curnow top 3 heading into the finals but now there are huge question marks

No there isn’t.

He had a couple of quiet games.
He will need to lift in finals before his career is out if he wants to leave any sort of legacy but it has virtually no impact on his current standing in the game and the idea that it does is ridiculous.

No there isn’t.

He had a couple of quiet games.
He will need to lift in finals before his career is out if he wants to leave any sort of legacy but it has virtually no impact on his current standing in the game and the idea that it does is ridiculous.
So it's "ridiculous" to suggest that finals' performances have an impact on a player's standing in the game?

So it's "ridiculous" to suggest that finals' performances have an impact on a player's standing in the game?

So lukosius what has never played a final but has had a s**t ton of quiet H&A games is rated higher than Coleman medalist with a couple of quiet finals games? Just checking

When they’ve played three in their entire career, those three came almost completely out of the blue, for a team who were on their knees two thirds of the way through the season and went into the finals virtually with a free shot, and for whom their ‘finals’ make up about 2.7 per cent of their total matches, yes.

Give the bloke a f***ing chance.

Hey Meteoric Rise - we're three pages in, and not a single mention of 'top 10 talent' Shai Bolton, not even as an unlucky omission.

Wowee.
Anti Richmond supporters not putting Richmond players in.
I'm shocked to be sitting here my minnow friends.:cool::thumbsu:

So lukosius what has never played a final but has had a s**t ton of quiet H&A games is rated higher than Coleman medalist with a couple of quiet finals games? Just checking
This is for 2024, Lukosius is hitting his peak

Curnow is at his peak and got lost in the finals, it's a black mark

I'm taking Lukosius

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is for 2024, Lukosius is hitting his peak

Curnow is at his peak and got lost in the finals, it's a black mark

I'm taking Lukosius

Crazy call. I realise it is just opinions, and players who perform in finals are very important, but Lukosius has not shown enough yet to justify a top 50 finish. His career so far is potential way out in front of performance.

You are judging Curnow on 3 games only, all 3 games of the highest intensity and difficulty especially for forwards. He got caught out by being out bodied at the very last minute in marking contests by 2 of the very best in May and Taylor. I am sure he will be working on that over summer and will be an even better player next year, barring injury.

Should we judge the great Peter Daicos as harshly? Played in 3 GF's, absolutely pantsed by Geoff Raines in 1980, 2 goals but little else in 1981, and 2 goals from only 5 possessions in 1990.

If Curnow consistently has poor finals then you may be right but the rush to judgement smells of bias.

And Nick Daicos, as good as he has been in his first 2 years is not a better player than Bontempelli.

Other than that, your list is very good

He got caught out by being out bodied at the very last minute in marking contests by 2 of the very best in May and Taylor. I am sure he will be working on that over summer and will be an even better player next year, barring injury.
Curnow didn't come up against GWS in the finals.

And when they did play GWS a week before the finals in round 24 Taylor didn't play.

My Top-20 list comprises players other teams would pay a lot of salary cap and or draft picks to secure, so, champion players at the peak of their powers, players who could reach those heights but no champion players such as Dangerfield, Pendlebury, Fyfe and Martin nearing the end of their careers

1. Nick Daicos
2. Zac Butters
3. Errol Gulden
4. Marcus Bontempelli
5. Christian Petracca
6. Connor Rozee
7. Caleb Serong
8. Darcy Moore
9. Clayton Oliver
10. Charlie Curnow
11. Matt Rowell
12. Luke Davies-Uniacke
13. Chad Warner
14. Tom Greene
15. Lachie Neale
16. Jordan De Goey
17. Jamarra Ugle Hagan
18. Noah Anderson
19. Will Day
20. Tim English

Just missed: Jordan Dawson, Wil Ashcroft, Sam Walsh, Zac Merrett, Jeremy Cameron, Jack Lukosius, James Sicily, Josh Kelly, JHF, Max King, Ben King

Fit
Because if they’re good enough they’re good enough, would be my first thought

No, I am happy to have a CHB in the list. Happy to have several. He said 'I bet you have him at CHB'. My reply was saying why would I have to pick someone at CHB in a numerical list.

I'm intersted that you rate Merret so highly. Not saying he isn't good, but I'd take someone like Cogs from GWS ahaead of him for impact (think their stats are pretty similar overall)

Noah Anderson is better than both.

He is a gun that has been underrated for a while (least apart from the umpires)

Suns next captain for mine, just got all the attributes you want in a leader of a club.

Curnow didn't come up against GWS in the finals.

And when they did play GWS a week before the finals in round 24 Taylor didn't play.
Sorry, I panicked, you are correct.
I meant Mccartin of the Swans. One of the better 'body' players in a marking contest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back